Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys,
I have recently bought 650 burger - I have tried a road test for mpg because I wasn't happy with mpg figures.
As follows - I rode the bike on country roads only at 50-80 mph and covered 175 miles on 3 gallons of petrol, averaging 58 mpg. I next tried 50/50 town riding and country riding, at 30-80 mph and covered 156 miles on 3 gallons, averaging 52 mpg. I next tried constant town riding at 30-50 mph and covered 135 miles, averaging 45 mpg.
As this bike is my only means of transport winter and summer I need to know costs of running, as petrol is more expensive in England.
It seems the bike is designed more for touring than town riding, the only item I have fitted to bike is a Givi taller screen and passenger backrest, otherwise its standard. :newb:

· Registered
12 Posts
Pauljo: Yes the taller givi screen was fitted when i did these tests.I found the standard screen causes too much noise, because i`m 6ft 2in tall.To clarify m.p.g. test, constant country riding 58 m.p.g. constant town riding 45 m.p.g. 50%town & 50% country riding 52 m.p.g. This is of course on a different octane of petrol Shell Optimax a higher cleaner petrol than is normally avaliable over here,i`m not sure of the octane value.The tests were done on this grade of petrol only and not the standard octane.It is supposed to keep the engine and fuel injection system clean.Hope this helps.

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi Guys Reading with interest all the banter on tests with or without screens / trunks etc. I have a question! On the subject of the varying speeds on these test runs, do you have any problems with traffic cops concerning high speed runs?I suspect you are lucky too have enough open roads to try this on without fixed speed cameras as in the U.K.!We cant seem too get enough free road space before we hit Speed Cameras.Any comments!

· Registered
12 Posts
Pauljo
It seems you are like myself, very aware of speed limits when it comes to built up areas, but let it go when circumstances are suitable.I tend to ride the same routes and know the speed limits in built up arears and also when to cane it so to speak!Do you find the side stand cut out switch a pain in the arse when stopping to park or put in the garage as i find it much easier to put it onto the side stand than try to hold the bike horizontal while disembowling from the bike and then put it on its centre stand?. Maybe Suzuki should follow the Piaggio X9 500 and put a centre stand lift switch on it to aid parking instead of trying to hold the bike and lift your leg up at an awkward angle! I some times have problems because of where i live.

· Registered
12 Posts
Pauljo,
Like you say its sometimes irritating but not major enough to dislike the bike.You know i have owned a Honda Hornet 600 acouple of times+Yamaha xj 900+3 Kawasaki Gpz 500"s+numerous other bikes which i wont bore you with now.And the only bike i have had numerous favourable comments about is the burgy 650 and some of those from women.I"m seriously thinking of fitting a radio/cd player onto my 650, possibly putting the radio/cd player in the trunk and use the two front side glove compartments for the speakers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.