Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my 650 was new, and in stock configuration, I got 51 mpg on one tankful of gas, and typically 47 or 48 mpg. I now typically get 44 mpg, and only got 42 mpg on one tank when I was "performance testing" my new Remus exhaust cannister.

I think the big XXL Clearview screen cost me a couple mpg, due to increased wind resistance, and the Remus exhaust seemed to cause another drop of about 2 mpg. I'm not sure if the big E52 Givi trunk had an effect or not (possible additional wind drag & weight, but I don't see it causing more than a 1 mpg drop, if that). I need the windscreen, and I really like the exhaust, and I use the trunk on every ride, so I guess I just have to pay at the pump. What is annoying with a 4 gallon fuel tank is the decreased range between gas stops. I get the 1 bar on the gas gauge and the flashing fuel pump logo at about 136 miles now.

I had a weird eye opener today. I took my 1000cc, 90+ hp, V-Strom for a 200 mile ride. I left the side cases at home, but I did have the trunk mounted. I do have the tallest Cee Bailey windscreen and Remus exhaust cannisters on the V-Strom, so it was configured similar to the scooter. Conditions were very good. I cruised at 70 mph (indicated) on country 2 lanes - no traffic most of the way. No wind (rare for Nebraska). Slowed down once in a while to pass through small towns, but very little stop & go. Terrain was gently rolling hills, but rarely required dropping below 6th gear. I filled up at 160 miles, and I knew I'd done well because I still had 3 bars showing on the gas gauge (5.8 gallon tank). 52 mpg! Better than I've ever gotten with the AN650.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That V-Strom 1000 is looking better to me all the time. I'm gearing up for a purchase in the spring and I love what I've heard from that versatile machine.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I suspect the trunk is costing you more than you think. I learned long ago that a trunk is like dragging an anchor.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silver said:
That V-Strom 1000 is looking better to me all the time. I'm gearing up for a purchase in the spring and I love what I've heard from that versatile machine.
The DL1000 V-Strom is one of the better motorcycles I've owned. The DL650 is also getting great press, and there are already a lot of happy owners. There is a similar forum to this one at http://www.stromtrooper.com/forum/index.php. It is useful, but doesn't get as much message traffic as BurgmanUSA.

I ride the AN650 more frequently than the DL1000, but today was a perfect V-Strom day - I couldn't resist.

Typically, I get about 42 mpg with the V-Strom. I think the fact that there was no wind today helped mileage out a lot - and I only had two passes where I exceeded 100 mph. :wink: Mostly I was content to cruise along at 70 mph. I was still amazed at the 52 mpg.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gruntled said:
I suspect the trunk is costing you more than you think. I learned long ago that a trunk is like dragging an anchor.
You are probably right. Of course the V-Strom had a trunk on it today also, but it is a little smaller than the E52 Givi on the Burgman.

What I'm wondering about is the Remus exhaust. I don't remember taking a mileage hit when I put Remus cannisters on the V-Strom. It is quite possible that I hadn't checked mileage since installing the XXL Clearview on the Burgman, which I did just a week before I installed the Remus. So maybe the big Clearview is the real culprit.

Anyway, I am spoiled now from the comfort zone I get riding behind the XXL shield, and I also use the Givi trunk constantly to store my riding gear when I stop anywhere. Comfort and utility override mileage for me I guess.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stormsteed said:
gruntled said:
I'm wondering if the side bags would be better than the trunk, in terms of wind resistance...?
Good thought, but I think not. The side cases on a V-Strom stick WAY out from the sides of the motorcycle. On some other machines with more streamined cases tucked in tighter to the bike - you could be right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys,
I have recently bought 650 burger - I have tried a road test for mpg because I wasn't happy with mpg figures.
As follows - I rode the bike on country roads only at 50-80 mph and covered 175 miles on 3 gallons of petrol, averaging 58 mpg. I next tried 50/50 town riding and country riding, at 30-80 mph and covered 156 miles on 3 gallons, averaging 52 mpg. I next tried constant town riding at 30-50 mph and covered 135 miles, averaging 45 mpg.
As this bike is my only means of transport winter and summer I need to know costs of running, as petrol is more expensive in England.
It seems the bike is designed more for touring than town riding, the only item I have fitted to bike is a Givi taller screen and passenger backrest, otherwise its standard. :newb:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gary.b

Did you add the Givi screen between these tests - after the first or 2nd test where you were 50+ mpg?

I only got 43 mpg when I filled up today. I think the big XXL Clearview screen is one of the main reasons that my mileage has dropped. The Givi would have a similar affect I'd think.

·
Registered
220 Posts
pauljo:

I think you had the best of the worlds going for you on that VStrom ride. Both bikes weigh about the same, you had a windless day, long rural roads, hardly any stops or passes.

Your 1000cc engine is loafing at anything under 100mph (I've got about 6 hours on a VStrom, don't ask me how I know about speeds over 100mph). At 70, the 650 isn't being pushed by any means, but it does have to work a bit harder, especially with that big windscreen.

I have done some recent 160 mile trips and it keeps getting better: 56mpg last week, 58mpg this week. I think the engine is breaking in at 2900 miles. I will switch to synthetic at 4,000 miles and that might add a mile or two

But then I am at 5600 feet, the air is thinner, I think, and I only weigh 145.

Our local PMS (Professor of Motorcycle Science, not what you thought) says the trunk causes wind drag.

Anyway, over 40mpg is win,win. You'd have to spend 20 grand on a VW Golf TDI diesel to better that. When I tell my SUV owning friends what my Burgman's fuel mileage is, they grow silent.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have the GIVI screen and E52 topcase on my 650. My mileage goes between 45 and 52 mpg with the usual being about 48. I can live with it.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ted White said:
pauljo:

I think you had the best of the worlds going for you on that VStrom ride. Both bikes weigh about the same, you had a windless day, long rural roads, hardly any stops or passes.

Your 1000cc engine is loafing at anything under 100mph (I've got about 6 hours on a VStrom, don't ask me how I know about speeds over 100mph). At 70, the 650 isn't being pushed by any means, but it does have to work a bit harder, especially with that big windscreen.
Ted,

Yes it was an absolutely perfect ride for the V-Strom. It is rare to catch a day here where the wind is still for one thing. And I left with a full tank of gas that I had no prior in-town mileage on. But 52 miles per gallon was still awesome for a machine that powerful. I could have danced a jig around the gas pump! Incidentally, the AN650 is 65 lbs heavier than the DL1000 (going by Suzuki's dry weight specs).

After I filled the tank, traffic picked up a bit and I had to make a couple of passes... Each time, I was going more than 115 mph at the end of the pass - and still accellerating rapidly. (Those darn cattle trucks are pretty long.) On the same pass, the AN650 would have reached maybe 95 mph and would be starting to breathe pretty hard. So if you exceeded 100 mph on a V-Strom, I am sure it was quite unintentional. :wink:

Can you imagine opening up a Hayabusa for the same pass distance? Probably be doing 150 mph and still accellerating like a jet plane.... That's more adrenalin than I need to feel these days...

·
Registered
220 Posts
It wasn't unintentional (our little secret). I have yet to ride a Hayabusa, though a friend of a friend has one. Perhaps soon. Anyway, it seems we have a Half-a-Busa. Did you read my post about the sheepskin in Hot seat? I think it's in the general discussion section.

Was wondering if you'd had a similar experience.

You're right about the weight. The Burgie does weigh more. BTW, SSS (on our forum) called me and said, "Now I know why they put an emergency brake on the Burgie." Seems he parked it on a slight downgrade and it rolled forward. Broke the left turn signal lens ($42.00). He said the bike was amazingly easy to pick up.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ted,

I just read it. I've never tried a sheepskin. But Allwalk's suggestion to trade it for a white one might work. It is certainly worth a try. Seems like black is the universal color for motorcycle seats... The dark blue on my custom upholstered seat probably isn't too much better for heat absorption, but we have only had one day in the nineties here since I had that done.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
For those looking for better mpg don't for get your air cleaner. Don't know about the 650 but on the 400 a dirty filter will cost you several mpg's :(

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Randy said:
For those looking for better mpg don't for get your air cleaner. Don't know about the 650 but on the 400 a dirty filter will cost you several mpg's :(
Randy,

Good point. I did take a look at mine last week and it appeared to be pretty clean. I suppose there are some imbedded dust particles that aren't so obvious to the eye, but for now, I'll consider it to be in good shape.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Project Mileage...

OK, I'm going to try to figure out why my mileage dropped from 47-48 mph to 43 mpg.

This morning I took off the XXL Clearview windscreen and put the stock one back on. Gosh, I forgot how tiny it is. It looks like a sport windscreen compared to the big Clearview.

I removed the Givi trunk. I left the mounting rack in place because it is small and flush with the back of the seat.

I took the heavy and bulky stuff out of the underseat trunk. The CruzTools toolkit, the electric air pump, the Stop & Go tire repair kit, the fancy brass tire gauge, the rainsuit & raingloves, are now sitting on my workbench. I doubt that the weight of these items add up to much in terms of fuel mileage - but without the Givi trunk I needed more underseat storage space freed up.

I am basically back to stock configuration except for the Remus exhaust. (OK, there is the Pirelli rear tire and the Ikon shocks, but I don't see them as gas guzzling modifications.) I'll run through two or three tanks of gas and check mileage at each fillup. This should tell me if the Remus exhaust is affecting mileage.

I might just go ahead and order a new air filter from Ron Ayers too. Randy does have a point... Maybe then I'll do another tankful or two with a brand new air filter in place.

Then the Givi trunk will go back on for a couple of tankfuls.

If it turns out that the XXL Clearview is the main culprit, well, I should know be then if I can tolerate the stock screen after riding with it for close to 1000 miles...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did about 70 miles of test riding this evening. It was 90 degrees, very humid, and wind was gusting between 15 -25 mph.

Removing the Givi trunk and reverting to the stock tiny windscreen had a very noticable effect on performance. The 650 accellerates stronger, especially in that 70 - 95 mph range. I held the throttle open after one pass, and eventually saw 115 mph on the speedometer, which I figure is a true 103.5 mph. The machine could not do that with the big windscreen and trunk installed. Since performance is back to the original level, I suspect that fuel mileage will be also. I was throttle happy today, but I still think this tankful will return better than the 43 mpg I have been getting lately. Next tank, I will behave...

The wind hits my helmet at chin level now. No buffeting, but with the HJC full face the wind noise was awful. The visor would slam shut at about 40 mph and it was awfully hot in there. Went home and got my 3/4 helmet with drop down face shield. With that helmet, ventilation was more than enough to dissipate the heat, but it was still too noisy. Went home again and dug out my old Shoei RF-800 full face. This helmet was clearly the winner. Wind noise was greatly reduced. I could ride with the visor cracked open at just about any speed. It only has two vents (compared to five on the HJC) but they actually work...

The key to living with the short windscreen is going to be having a helmet that copes well with being fully in the windblast coming off the top of the windshield. The Shoei RF-800 is almost OK with that. I wonder if the newer RF-900 or RF-1000 models are worth looking at. I read one report in this months Rider magazine on the RF-1000. It stated that the RF-1000 is a lot lighter, but not quite as quiet as the RF-900. One reason I had retired the RF-800 is because it is quite heavy, and that would bother me on long rides.

The other drawback is that wind gusts from the side do bother more. The scooter will track just fine, but I was getting pushed around some, and that occasionally caused me to pull the machine off course a bit. I did not feel as confident when the wind got fiesty as I did behind the Clearview.

I can already see that this is going to be an interesting exercise. In the end, I wonder if I will opt for performance and mileage - or comfort and utility. Time will tell.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wow, pauljo! What a wonderful experiment. I'll be anxious to learn the results.

I'm also amazed that you carry all that stuff with you. Jeez, I guess if I had a flat tire, I'd just call a buddy on my cell phone - one with a pickup truck - and tell him where I am. As it is, at least right now in my life, I use the Burgman for very practical trips: to meetings (always too many), so I carry lots of papers and prepared lectures, etc.; shopping at the grocery store (once I learned how much one can actually cram into the 52 liter trunk).

I'm also interested in the results of your experiment because I just ordered a clearview (large size only - I'm 5'9") and hate to think of lost mileage and acceleration.

Your comments about the HJC mesh with my observations. Mine is the flip face Sy-Max. Love the flip face but don't like the noise, exacerbated by the stock Burgie windscreen. Probably, on a naked bike, it would be perfectly OK. As for the Shoei, mine is the RF900, noticeably quieter behind the stock windscreen.

The othe factor is the aftermarket exhaust system. I don't know how you could remove that to get back to stock, as I suspect some welding had to occur.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ted,

I was very excited at the increase in performance yesterday. My 650 was starting to struggle at about 93 mph before, and sometimes could not hit an indicated 100 mph on level terrain. I don't make a habit of going over 100 mph on the scoot - but it appears that I gained back 15 to 20 mph in top speed, and that is a lot. More importantly, it has reasonable snap now for those higher speed 2-lane road passes.

I don't think the Remus pipe is the culprit at this point, which is good, because as you noted it would not be easy to revert to the stock cannister. I'll know for sure after I run through another tank of gas.

I bought all that contingency stuff over the Winter when I was snowbound. When I am out in the boondocks, it is nice to know I have it - but I hope I never really have to use the tire plugger kit. So now I am down to a can of fix-a-flat and a cell phone. I did pick up a set of Canyon Dancer tie downs the other day, and I am still carrying them. From what I understand, the Burgman isn't the easiest thing to tie down on a trailer or flatbed - and the Canyon Dancer setup works pretty good. Doesn't take up much space in the trunk either.

My theory at this point on windscreens is that the more air you are shoving aside, the more you are losing in performance and mileage. (There are probably some design efficiencies that can partially overcome that.) But if I am right, the Large Clearview you ordered won't be as disruptive to performance as the XXL. Heck, I was still getting 47 mpg with the old style XL Clearview & the Givi Trunk. But the new style XXL is much wider, as well as taller.

I think I'll go see if I can find a Shoei RF-1000 at a dealership today and look it over. It appears that the RF-900 is out of production now. You are right - dealing with the accellerated wind blast coming off of the top of a windshield is a lot tougher for a helmet than if it were fully in the wind on a naked bike. But on the scooter you really need at least enough windscreen to take the wind pressure off of your chest due to the upright seating position.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts