Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does 100% gasoline make up for it's more expensive price over E10 gasoline? Here in port angeles the e10 gas is 2.99 a gallon and the 100% gas is 3.95 a gallon. Does the gas mileage increase justify paying an extra 96 cents?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The mileage is a little better but it's not going to make up that much difference in price.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've run real gas in two tanks of my V-Strom 650. Both times I exceeded 70mpg for the tank. I usually get 64 on average for the alcohol gas. The price however doesn't justify 5-6mpg difference with real gas at $3.99 and alcoholed gas at $2.80 locally. I only got real gas when that was all I could get when right at "bingo" fuel. However in a carbureted small engine like a 125 scooter or lawn equipment it can solve alot of problems.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Does the alcohol cause any problems in the Burgman's engine?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Does the alcohol cause any problems in the Burgman's engine?
No. Any fuel system and engine produced since the early 90s will not be adversely affected by E-10. My daughter's '93 Toyota 4-Runner has been drinking it for 10+ years and over 140k miles. My '98 SL500 runs fine on the swill...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Does 100% gasoline make up for it's more expensive price over E10 gasoline? Here in port angeles the e10 gas is 2.99 a gallon and the 100% gas is 3.95 a gallon. Does the gas mileage increase justify paying an extra 96 cents?
We pay $1 more a gallon for it too. I use 100% gas in my car and my scooters that I don't ride at least one or two times a week. The scooter I ride daily I just use E10 with no problems except for a two - four MPG loss.
I found the difference is close to 10%.

So $3.00 for e10 =$3.30 for real gas.
If I could get 100% gas for 10% more I would use 100% gas as my only gas no matter how much I ride/drive. But I won't pay $1 a gallon more for my daily ride. like I said above I'll only use it in my vehicles that sit around without being used.
The 100% gas stays fresh a lot longer than the E10 crap even without putting Stable or fuel treatments in the 100% gas.

·
Super Moderator
2,368 Posts
In my neck of the wold the only non eth really close enough to use for me is very expensive 92 octane.
I haven't used it lately.
There is a place that sells 87 that's a bit out of the way that's not too insane for price (~15% higher) that I tried out for a few tanks on my 06.
The 06 does not have computer controlled idle, or an 02 sensor so it'd be different than newer bikes.
On it, I found that using a decent grade (normally shell, or costco) 87 was a bit lower over several tanks, but was within range of the generic 87 non-eth I can get. In no way did it come close to justifying the cost, but I do use it if I'm in an area where I can find it.

Of course if I know I'm going to have to store the bike for an extended period (very rare) I'll go out of my way to get non-eth in there since eth-gas does break down a lot faster than straight unleaded.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I use E10 87 octane all the time in all my vehicles with absolutely no problems. I do use an additive in my Burgman, though. I recommend Regane All-in-One additive.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't forget the cost of additive to keep the E10 from separating .

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
No. Any fuel system and engine produced since the early 90s will not be adversely affected by E-10. My daughter's '93 Toyota 4-Runner has been drinking it for 10+ years and over 140k miles. My '98 SL500 runs fine on the swill...
Not if it has a carb! You will get a build up of crap with E10. Of coarse very few bikes still use carbs but there are a few.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts