Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like my best MPG was obtained in July.
Riding down to AL in the 50 dF cold front, my MPG dropped into the 50's. With Dr Pulley 19g sliders too.
I am thinking there is a correlation between warm weather and better MPG.
And also thinking about a WAI (warm air intake) for colder weather.
Reasonable?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mike, I am seeing the same here in Tx a big difference in mpg with it in the 80's vs 50's. This is my first winter with the scoot but didn't take long to notice the difference with the temps.

Eric

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Cooler air is denser air, I.e. more lbs/m of air being ingested by the engine for every cfm passed, more lbs/m of air = more lbs/m of fuel for any given AFR--for instance 14.7:1.

Because the ECUs on our scooters (and many bikes) are not extraordinarily complex or sophisticated, and because the engine output is lowish compared to the propulsion needs of the vehicle (those being what is required to overcome aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance, etc.), fuel consumption will increase as IAT (Intake Air Temperature) decreases. This is less obvious in automobiles (or "bigger" bikes) where peak engine power is often several multiples of cruising speed power requirements.

The good news is that power output increases too--my '03 400 feels much more peppy now that we are down into the high 60s/low 70s...

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
It's All So , the SAT- Sensor Air Temp, Unit which is connected to your Air Filter Box, This peace of Tech can Add More Gas Flow to the Fuel Injector ,When it detects Cold Air, Eats Gas .
I love this Unit when it's Cold, Like winter, Scooter Runs better, But on Hot Temps ,Cuts Fuel Flow Ratio, :evil: Drives Slow. Saves Gas .

And what cliffyk, Said "Cooler air is denser air" Both are factors.

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Longer to warm up thicker oil and grease = more drag,
look on fuelly and pull up the consumption graph for any
vehicle there is a noticeable drop in MPG in colder weather.

http://www.fuelly.com

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
cliffyk said:
What is "winter"? :)
that's when the leaves change to leaves with more people from up north under them :wink:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Whats this winter thing, the scientist tell us we have global warming so we must be dreaming if its dropped 20 degrees. LOL

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
No No No its not Global warming, since that became a joke they now use
"Climate Change" to try to frighten more tax out of us, at least this side
of the pond.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Based on recent 4 day 1600 mile trip to Michigan---start temps 3 mornings at 36F, one at 33F.

In round numbers, my mileage went from the usual 60 in warm temps to about 55 average for trip===however last tank as I rode near Chattanooga and temp got up to 73F was 60mpg.

Fuel costs are the least expense to worry about of owning a maxiscooter that is ridden 20-40,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The funniest part about both is the unspecified underlying supposition of some ideal temperature, from which the Earth is straying due to man's activities. That both historical and prehistorical records show far greater changes, many over lesser periods and far removed from man's existence, is ignored...

·
Registered
72 Posts
My mpgs have dropped also. I have logged 61 fillups . I am also working with a mechanic and fabricator were I work to figure out the best way to get hot air into the air box. I will keep y'all posted on that. Hears my fuelly link .. https://www.fuelly.com/driver/bigr72/bu ... fu=3500109

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
bigr said:
am also working with a mechanic and fabricator were I work to figure out the best way to get hot air into the air box. I will keep y'all posted on that.
I've been trying to come up with a way to do that too. Please let us (me!!!) know when you find out something.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
bigr said:
My mpgs have dropped also. I have logged 61 fillups . I am also working with a mechanic and fabricator were I work to figure out the best way to get hot air into the air box. I will keep y'all posted on that. Hears my fuelly link .. https://www.fuelly.com/driver/bigr72/bu ... fu=3500109
You don't have to Do that you just need a Adjuster Control Knob where you can Turn down the OHM's

the SAT- Sensor Air Temp, Unit Works by Current from Temps Cold NEG- Hot +POS out of 12v Cold- 1.5v -2.5v_Colder- -3.5v__ Cooler 5.5v Warmer 6.5v __Hot 7.5v 8.5v__ Hotter 9.5v 12.0v =ECU= Fuel Injector Output Fuel Flow
which is not dumping to much Gas in Hot Conditions But Cold Conditions it Do go thru a Gobble of Fuel real Quick.

All you need is a Volume Control Circuit like you find on your Radio. connected to just One Wire.

of course I override mines to eat more Fuel for more Power but in your condition you want to save fuel...

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
happytech said:
bigr said:
am also working with a mechanic and fabricator were I work to figure out the best way to get hot air into the air box. I will keep y'all posted on that.
I've been trying to come up with a way to do that too. Please let us (me!!!) know when you find out something.
Bruce, i already told you how to do that you forgot already Old Buddy!! :thumbup:

Elliott,

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Let's see - HOW long has it been since we talked? How much stuff has happened to me in the last six to twelve months (if you really want to know just PM me). :( *

Oh yes, how's that oval flex hose idea you told me about working for you (about a year ago - 12-5-11)?

* Also, if you PM me, I'll throw another curve in to this deal - I don't want to open up another can of worms on the forum.

·
Registered
280 Posts
cliffyk said:
The funniest part about both is the unspecified underlying supposition of some ideal temperature, from which the Earth is straying due to man's activities. That both historical and prehistorical records show far greater changes, many over lesser periods and far removed from man's existence, is ignored...
When your trying to milk the sheeples out of their cash you dont let a little thing called truth get in the way just try to ask your congressman or president what is the truth.

Modify a 12 volt hairdryer to fit the inlet to get hot air into the case.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Actually, I'd like a better air inlet position to begin with. I mean, the air inlet is only a few inches off the road surface and can really pick up a lot of grim and garbage from the road. The back of my engine grimes up real fast so just imagine all that junk being drawn in. I would have to replace an OEM filter more often than I should - simply because of where the air inlet is. This didn't happen on the old 400s where the air came from above the engine and to the side instead of the bottom.

The picture is taken from underneath the bike.

[attachment=0:116yxrxd]Photograph of Air Inlet.jpg[/attachment:116yxrxd]

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I been trying to figure out a way To Move or Reposition the Intake Port but have not come up with any ideals, Yet? best thing was to think of was to put a Hose at the Bottom of the Port But there's just not enough room under there for one,

Me and sean,-TechArtGuy, tried Direct Filters, I abandoned it becuze it was letting in to much Air Overheating the engine....

Elliott,

1 - 20 of 46 Posts