Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Burgman 400 gas milage after first service ...

• Increased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Decreased

• Stayed about the same

• I didn't pay any attention to it

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remeber reading on the forums that gas milage and power increased on the Burgman 400 after the first service. I was talking to another rider that had his 400 serviced at the same dealer and commented that mileage dropped after the first service. I had noticed the same thing too also with a decrease in performance. I thought it might be I had just gotten used to the bike and had started to ride more aggressive. Now I'm thinking the dealers service department might have caused it. Has anyone else noticed the same effect after first service?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I would think a small mileage drop is a normal "thing ". Not only because parts are starting to wear but also because (as billmeek said) we do tend to ride a bit more aggressive.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem I have with drop being from a change in riding habits is the drop in MPG right at the 600 mile service. Comparing the 3 tanks prior to the first service to the 3 after the service and you get an average 8.23 MPG drop. Now I'm always below 60 MPG. :?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mileage

I have two theories, I couldn't wait to pass 600 miles so I could play. That probably effected my first couple tanks after 600 but I've made an effort to drive more smoothly and the gas mileage hasn't returned.

I think it might be the weather, I've been letting to warm and most trips are around 2 mile, didetance to work.

I expect the mileage will increase with my spring cruises.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Somethings not right somewhere; I got in the upper 50's-low 60 mpg for awhile, but as the miles built up, the milage went up. Theres several of us with 400's getting in upper 60's.....one who rides smoothly and keeps records of every tank full gets 69-70mpg. We're scheduled for a ride tomorrow and I'll keep records and let you know whats happening currently.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I don't think it is a mechanical issue so much as riding style. There are guys on the forum who regularly get better mileage on their 650's than I do - and some get much longer tire life. I like to accellerate briskly, and I'm often on roads where I can cruise at 70 mph or more. I bought both my bikes for sport riding enjoyment - fuel economy is secondary. Also, if you add a bigger windscreen at any point, your mileage will drop. How much, depends on the size and design of the screen. I've also noticed a small drop in mileage during this cold weather riding - the FI has a temperature sensor & I believe it is running a richer mixture in the cold temps.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 400 is stock shield. I ride a bit aggressive but not overly so. I started noticing it back in May when I had the 600 mile service done. I thought it might have been a change in the riding style until I spoke to another 400 rider that had the same comments after getting the 600 mile service done at the same dealer. We've both decided to find another bike shop to do any additional service.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bill,

Is your idle setting correct? The local shop always returns my bikes with the idle set too high. Not sure why. I always turn it back down to 1100 rpm, which is spec for both my machines. That could make a difference I guess when you are doing a lot of local stop & go riding.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
pauljo said:
I've also noticed a small drop in mileage during this cold weather riding - the FI has a temperature sensor & I believe it is running a richer mixture in the cold temps.

I have also noticed the same. In the summer I can average 320-340 kms on a tank depending on riding style. However in the colder temps I noticed I would be luck to get 280 - 300 kms on a tank. :roll:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
To answer Bills question. My mileage went up as the machine broke in.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
What does your engine temp gauge indicate?

in low ambients (below 40 deg F) mine barely moves 10% from the stop during the 10 mile ride to work.

Even in summer, and on the move it probably hovers around 30% - I did check engine temp with a thermocouple on a DVM and it was spec. Leaving the engine running on the centrestand the indicated (and actual) temp rose until the fan cut in.

Methinks the gauge sensor must be in an airsteam which artificially depresses indicated temp.

What say you guys with more modern sveltes?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I Dropped

I carefully check my mileage at every fill-up, and 90% of the time buy my gas at the same pump at the same station, pointing the bike the same way to ensure accuraccy. My first four tanks were all in the 70's, then I had something like a 68, and then more 70's. When I went to the same dealer as Bill, my mileage instantly dropped to the mid-50's, and while with extreme care and babying I managed to get back up into the low 60's, I've not seen 70 again since.

I took it back, and the dealer basically not only told me I was wrong about the backfiring and chided me for complaining about a "remarkable" mid-fifties per gallon, but tried to charge me for the experience (in three digits) after explaining that the warranty would not cover me unless something was actually wrong. Which clearly, he said, was not the case.

My machine backfired for a while after this first service, usually lightly but sometimes quite noticeably. Eventually I suffered one collossal mother-of-all backfires so intense that it felt like Hank Aaron had slammed the bottom of my bike with a Louisville Slugger. (Indeed, I stopped to see if I had hit something, but I found no evidence of this, and the road was completely clear of debris when I went back and checked.) Since then, the backfiring has practically vanished, and my mileage has climbed back up into the mid-60's for the most part. Still, though, given the way I ride I should be breaking 70, like I used to. Nothing has changed save the tuneup.

I probably never will break 70 again, either, becasue recently I installed a Givi E-52 top box. I've no data on this yet, but I hear they cause noticeable drag. <sigh>.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I first got Burgman, I rode it fairly easy most of the time until I got about 900 miles at which time the first checkup was done. My checkup couldn't have had the valves checked with only 1.5 hrs labor time and
$143.00 bill. All they did was change oil and filter and retorqued certain nuts/bolts. Anyway my mileage only goes down from about 65mpg when I ride hard or go over 60mph. worst mpg was 55 mpg from doing 75-90 for about 60 miles.

ekp

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pauljo said:
Is your idle setting correct?
Paul,

Idle is about 1300. If I remember correctly, it was around 1400 when I first got the Burgman.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NormanB said:
What does your engine temp gauge indicate?
Temp guage on mine is almost always at 50%. The only time I've seen it higher is when I was stuck in holiday traffic for 30 minutes without moving. Even riding home the other night (freezing my butt off despite several layers of clothing), there was no noticable difference in the engine temp.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
billmeek said:
Now I'm always below 60 MPG.
Correction - I've had 2 tanks that yielded over 60 MPG since the first service. The those were 60.85 MPG and 60.56 MPG. The low was 46.54 MPG (noted mostly short trips) with an average of 56.86 MPG.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bill,

The 650 has a dry paper air filter, but I think your 400 has a foam filter that is oiled. I wonder if they saturated it with some stuff that doesn't breathe as well as it should? I'm trying to think of things they could have done to impact fuel mileage... The higher idle setting on the 400 is probably due to it being a single - to avoid stalling. I'd still check the 1300 rpm setting in your owner's manual to see if it is correct.

Did they adjust valves at that first service? I suppose that could also affect mileage. I'm not entirely sure.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pauljo said:
Did they adjust valves at that first service? I suppose that could also affect mileage. I'm not entirely sure.
Yep. Charged me $175 (out of the $220 total) for adjusting the valves.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
In my case, I specifically asked if the filter might be too saturated, and they told me a) that this would not cause the problems described and b) that it was perfectly fine, like everything else.

I don't really beleive them on either count.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
pauljo wrote
The 650 has a dry paper air filter, but I think your 400 has a foam filter that is oiled. I wonder if they saturated it with some stuff that doesn't breathe as well as it should?
I started using a can of air filter spray and my milage went down a little, I think the spray maybe one reason.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts