Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last October I found that the bike will run 200 miles to bottom of the red mark. Then 36.4 miles more before it ran dry.
Then 3.7 gallons to refill (with burping).

Here is my latest experiment, writing down miles vs. average MPG readout.

From completely full and burped TO the "F" mark = .975 gallons. Wow
From the "F" mark to the 3/4 mark = .216 gallons
From the 3/4 to the "Half" mark = .415 gallons. So far, I used 1.6 gallons for the first "Half" a tank.
From Half to quarter mark = .592 gallons
From quarter mark to top of red = .257 gallons.

This is 2.455 gallons From completely full to top of red.

Conclusion, the gas gauge marks are as accurate as those on my 70 Oldsmobile > You could drive a week before the gauge moved off Full :). I think it was on purpose so purchasers would think the cars got great mileage :rolleyes:

"Your own findings might vary"

·
Registered
413 Posts
Interesting, I don't think I've ever thought this much about the gas gauge on a vehicle before. I always thought it was the shape of the tank that made the gauge in most vehicles read like that.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Your results are right in line with what I see on the gauge on my 06 400. Of course it has a slightly smaller tank so the amounts are different but the ratio is pretty much the same. I know from experience that when you can see the top right corner of the "E" just poking above the needle it will stop running from lack of fuel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2013 Burgman 400

Today I hit 200.5 miles on my tank. Displayed at 63.0 MPG (calculated at true 64.0 MPG when I ran the numbers). It took 3.134 gallons to top off (after rocking the bike). I was still ever so slightly above the bottom of the RED. I got nervous and decided to fill up as I had another 15 miles to work. I really wanted to give it a go as I only hit the 200 mile milestone once before:).

So what you are saying...is I could have had approx 30 more miles left based on your experience???

Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, there's quite a lot of petrol "in reserve". In my experiment last fall, I ran the tank dry (carried half gallon in a gas can so I could get to the nearest gas station).

What's funny to me, is sure the tank is a goofy shape, yet the engineers could have taken the care to put the markings on the gas gauge in the correct locations. It's as if they made the gas gauge look pretty, with no resemblance to reality. Oh well. Ride on ;) I guess the dashboard team and fuel tank team didn't talk to each other.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I find when I go uphill, the gas gauge shows lower than usual, and downhill, it looks fuller than usual. Just like oil levels on flat/sloped terrain, it fluctuates quite a bit because its a liquid.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
sure the tank is a goofy shape, yet the engineers could have taken the care to put the markings on the gas gauge in the correct locations.
All of the gauges on the dashboard are driven by stepper motors, i.e. they have no direct relationship to the item measured. Anything you see displayed: 10% speedo error, nonlinear gas gauge, etc. are deliberate choices programmed into the dashboard controller.

Why they chose to engineer errors into the readings I couldn't begin to speculate, but it is no accident.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Mine as always been quite accurate when it says half or quarter
then it's more or less right, it did 240 miles on a tank then stopped
no messing just stopped, put fuel in and it started back up just as
normal, so no problems restarting after running out but don't expect
it to start spluttering it's likely just to cut dead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts