Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, just FYI, I left my gas cap at a service station pump, and of course didn't notice till a bit later... Guess what.. $84 for a new one. AND it comes with a key, so now, (or after I buy it) I'll have to carry TWO keys.. Arrgh!

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Hey Jac

Thats really tough.
I take it you went back (called) they sometimes put them aside.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lost gas cap

Yep,
Really it's my own fault. I obviously left it off when I filled up the RV and bike, getting ready to go the Ruidoso NM rally. I didn't discover I had not replaced the cap till 4 days later and 600 miles away. I knew I had filled it last, at home, so when I got back last night, I went to the station(S) I ususally use, and it seems that these folks never heard of a lost gas cap. I asked, "do you have a place you put gascaps that folks drive off and leave?", The reply was, "no, we never see forgotton / lost caps. So, I guess I'm the only one. DOH. I can assure you that my next/new cap & Key will have a "Safety Chain" attached to it and the bike. It turns out the cap and keys are unique to the bike. Other options: buy the "lockset = $240"
buy the cap and key ( $80) AND buy a new "Blank Key" to have a locksmith cut to match the new gas cap. ($40) for blank.
Expensive lesson..
arrrgh!
jac

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Jac :!:

OR - get a non locking gas cap that fits (you would need to have a lot of gas stolen to equal the cost of a new cap).

I would have thought the fitting was to some sort of standard size - lug arrangement.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gas cap

I hadn't thought of that as being a possibility!! THAT would be great!! Thanks for the wake up knock!
I don't suppose anyone around here has a clue as to what would be a "generic" type? I couldn't care less about it locking. I'll check out some place like Pep Boys ... hopefully someone will jump in here with a bit of knowledge.
jac

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Jac, any junk yard with late model cars have the same cap...just no key. I put one on mine because I didn't like the bother of locking and unlocking. It came off a Camaro. I think they are all bout the same.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here's the solution I use...

When I unlock and take the gas cap off, I leave the key in the gas cap and set it on top of the pump. If I don't put the gas cap back on, I can't drive away, as I don't have a key to start the scoot!

·
Registered
209 Posts
ted clement said:
Jac, any junk yard with late model cars have the same cap...just no key.
I would love to get a non-locking gas cap. But the cap on my Burger looks nothing like the caps on my Ford Explorer ('98) or Honda Odyssey ('97). Am I missing something? (I'm soooooo confused.)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Kias said:

When I unlock and take the gas cap off, I leave the key in the gas cap and set it on top of the pump. If I don't put the gas cap back on, I can't drive away, as I don't have a key to start the scoot!
I do almost the same thing. I stopped putting it on top of the pump after it rolled off one time - long drop to the pavement... I put it on the front floorboard now instead (with the key in it). It hasn't rolled off yet, and even if it did, it is a much shorter drop to the pavement.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Gas Cap

I wedge mine in the hand rail/seat. I leave the key in it so I'm
not going anywhere.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll check tonight.

ted clement said:
Jac, any junk yard with late model cars have the same cap...just no key. I put one on mine because I didn't like the bother of locking and unlocking. It came off a Camaro. I think they are all bout the same.
Thanks a million, I'll go to the local auto store tonight!!
Thanks thanks thanks.
jac

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh, if only

Kias said:

I "usually" do that as well. How stupid does one have to be to leave a gas cap. I even had to close the gas "door" doh!
Sometimes I'm the example of "lowest common demoninator"..!
jac

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Golden aspen rally

Hi Paul
I'd be glad to do a broad review if anyone is interested. We, for the first time, went as vendors. I assumed, due to the close knit group we are all in, there would be at least a "good size" group....
I'll be glad post a indepth note... what group/area should I post it?
jac

·
Registered
409 Posts
I do what kias does. I keep the key in the cap. Can't forget it that way.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Golden aspen rally

I'll post an extended version tonight in Rallys and Gatherings. Thanks for the pointer.
That would obviously be the right place to post "pre release" info about a potential rally here. Excellent! We need to figure out a way to tie-in/promote: burgmanusa.com at the same time.
By the way, I found a set of links for tire info. AND a 90 degree tire valve.
I'll post them in the next day or two.
I really don't want to start/promote another URL. Perhaps Burgman USA and us can join forces, organize a gathering for scoots... Kinda the "Maxim" for the sport.. <G>
This is a great forum, you guys RULE!
jac

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bruce, my '02 Mazda 626 and '04 Corolla are the same as the Burg 400.
Don't know date on Camaro, but older than the above.

I'm talking about the 400....not sure its the same as the 650....but would think so.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Golden aspen rally

jacvinson said:
By the way, I found a set of links for tire info. AND a 90 degree tire valve.
I'll post them in the next day or two.
I was just thinking this morning that a 90 degree valve stem would be nice - as I was trying to attach my air pump fitting to the stem on the rear tire. Thought about it again doing the front tire. The front wheel is a tad larger, but those dual disk brakes get in the way.

jacvinson said:
I really don't want to start/promote another URL. Perhaps Burgman USA and us can join forces, organize a gathering for scoots...
I think it would be OK. There was a scooter gathering in Pennsylvania that announced here while you were away. They organized via a Yahoo listserv, but also announced here. First year, rather small, but it sounded like they had a good time. You just might want to PM Greengoose before doing it to make sure he is OK with promoting it here. Personally, I'd rather have you launch via BurgmanUSA than Yahoo, but you might want to issue notices there as well. I think there are a couple of Yahoo scooter groups that are not marque specific, which you would want to hit. You could make it a "Burgman Rally", but open to all makes of scooters. Just like the Honda Hoot is open to all motorcyclists...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gas Cap

Well, I just returned from "Autozone" and "Pep Boys" and none of the caps fit
I tried the Madza 626 ( too big) and the Corolla (also too big). Pep Boys had a display that allowed access to all of the products, so, I gave em' my drivers license and proceeded to take every cap they had outside to "test fit". None of them fit.
If anyone has a 2003, and has actually found an alternate cap... Please post.
I'll keep an eye out if I get an answer. It'd be good "back-up" info to have, even if you don't need one now....
jac

1 - 20 of 31 Posts