Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and it didn't come up with anything. Has anyone replaced the locking gas cap with a non locking cap and if you did, which one did you use? Thx

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
There is not one that I know of. For the Burgman 400 then yes but not for the 650's.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If you do a search in the forum (Google Custom Search box in upper right of any forum page) you'll end up with several results of threads talking about this very subject. Many are about the 400 gas cap which is VERY different than the 650 gas cap. The 400 cap screws in and is close to the same as a Honda Civic (certain years). But so far I haven't read of a non-locking replacement for the 650 gas cap.

I found they are the same on my 2005 B650 as on my 2013 B650. I learned what I consider the easy way to put the cap back in. I simply noted that the direction of the key head in the cap when NOT turned is lined up with the arrow (when I can see it in better lighting). Then with the key in the cap I make sure the cap is turned so the arrow/key orientation is pointing out and push the cap down. As long as the key is inserted in the cap it will snap down in place without me needing to turn the key at all. I do usually have to wiggle the cap a little to line up the lugs but it's easy to feel when that happens and the cap will then push down without a lot of fuss. Then I remove the key from the cap.

I totally understand the benefits of a locking gas cap. There are times when I have to park the scoot where thieves are about who would try to steal gas if they could, or even just steal the cap (those vandals!). I'm not one who has an issue with taking the key out of the ignition to unlock the cap (NEVER refuel with the engine running... that's just plain stupid). When I remove the cap I always leave the key in the cap and lay it on the passenger foot board. This ensures I don't forget the cap when I am finished refueling. I've done that before with a vehicle that had a non-locking cap and I was in a hurry. And I've seen others do that many times. I've learned to place things I don't want to forget on the seat or with my key to avoid that issue. I also never remove my key from the ignition when I have the seat open just to be sure not to lock my key in the storage box. And, YES, I do have the emergency seat latch release installed but try not to use it to keep the location or its existence a secret.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got a spare key made and have gotten in the habit of just leaving it in the gas cap all the time. I'm not worried at all around home. I suppose when I take long trips I will remove it when leaving the bike for lunch or at night. Just seems like a bother to have to use the ignition key every time I stop for gas. (How lazy is that?!?)

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Pick ,

I luv lazy....while touring that is a good tip. I always wondered where to hide the spare key ... in the gas cap.

Reactions: Dave_J and Pick

·
Registered
346 Posts
Why would want to go and buy a new non-locking gas cap when it's so much easier and probably cheaper to make an extra key which stays in the existing cap.
I've had this on 5 Burgmans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts