Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have followed my adventures with the Burgman $100 Gas Cap. (well $70 if you go to RonAyers). Here's a bit of info for all that you may appreciate.
Your gas cap is specifically keyed to the same key as your ignition. I thought perhaps it was generic, but no.
Having lost my gas cap, and procurring another on line from Ronayers, the results are I was looking at carrying two keys, one for the gas cap, and one for the ignition. A quick visit to a local locksmith solved the problem. I had the locks' pins removed so anything that will fit into the slot will unlock it. I'm not concerned about security for a scooters' fuel supply.
Then... here's the good part. I drilled a 1/8" hole into the top of the cap, (this, if done carefully will NOT affect it's sealing ability, just don't drill too far). and another 1/8" hole into the back of the fuel fill cavity plastic. 8" of ceiling fan chain, two chain ends with "loops", two pop rivets and twenty minutes, results in a cap that requires no key, and stays attached to the bike while filling. Most of you folks are probably smarter than me and won't ever lose a gas cap, but, for the "challenged" (me) this assures you can't drive off without it.
jac

·
Registered
520 Posts
jacvinson said:
Some of you may have followed my adventures with the Burgman $100 Gas Cap. (well $70 if you go to RonAyers). Here's a bit of info for all that you may appreciate.
Your gas cap is specifically keyed to the same key as your ignition. I thought perhaps it was generic, but no.
Having lost my gas cap, and procurring another on line from Ronayers, the results are I was looking at carrying two keys, one for the gas cap, and one for the ignition. A quick visit to a local locksmith solved the problem. I had the locks' pins removed so anything that will fit into the slot will unlock it. I'm not concerned about security for a scooters' fuel supply.
Then... here's the good part. I drilled a 1/8" hole into the top of the cap, (this, if done carefully will NOT affect it's sealing ability, just don't drill too far). and another 1/8" hole into the back of the fuel fill cavity plastic. 8" of ceiling fan chain, two chain ends with "loops", two pop rivets and twenty minutes, results in a cap that requires no key, and stays attached to the bike while filling. Most of you folks are probably smarter than me and won't ever lose a gas cap, but, for the "challenged" (me) this assures you can't drive off without it.
jac
I'm just missing something SOMEWHERE..... I had 4 extra keys made for my 650 as soon as I bought it at my neighborhood locksmith shop for $1.00 each. They don't work the trick key "COVER" mechanism, but DO work both my ignition and gas cap. Isn't this the simple solution? I always carry the extra key with me in case I have a brain fart....Mike :p

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion. My main point was:
Now I don't need a key for the gas cap at all, and I CAN'T leave my gas cap at the pump and drive off......., again.
jac

·
Registered
520 Posts
jacvinson said:
Now I don't need a key for the gas cap at all, and I CAN'T leave my gas cap at the pump and drive off......., again.
jac

I getcha now. I always leave my key IN the capsitting on my floorboard cuz I KNOW I ain't too smart! Mike

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, leaving the key in the cap *would* be the smart thing to do. I have no rationale for why I decided not to follow that procedure. I've got about 4000 miles on my 650, so it's not like filling the gas tank was a "new" procedure for me. duh..

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Pappy said:
jacvinson said:
jac

I getcha now. I always leave my key IN the capsitting on my floorboard cuz I KNOW I ain't too smart! Mike
Mike please explain this term 'capsitting' to me.

Oh and the other thing Jac would have to have 2 keys as the supplied gas cap lock was not matched to VIN.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mike is like me, I too leave the key in the cap, but sitting on the seat.

Capsitting should have been two words Norm. 8)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Warren said:
Mike is like me, I too leave the key in the cap, but sitting on the seat.

Capsitting should have been two words Norm. 8)
DOH!! :oops:

·
Registered
520 Posts
NormanB said:
Pappy said:
jacvinson said:
jac

Mike please explain this term 'capsitting' to me.

Oh and the other thing Jac would have to have 2 keys as the supplied gas cap lock was not matched to VIN.
Ah. Cap Sitting.
He's screwed!
:p

·
Registered
822 Posts
I can't speak for the 400, but I feel the 650 is laid out logically... in terms of not losing your key or gas cap that is.... My key is always in one of 3 places: in the ignition, in the gas cap, or in my pocket. I just don't see how you can lose the key or the gas cap. If I need to get into the trunk, the key opens it from the ignition and the key STAYS in the ignition. If I'm filling up with gas, the key stays IN the gas cap. Kind of hard to leave the gas station without the key, and since its in the gas cap, kind of hard to leave the gas cap behind. The problem I have (and mostly at home in the driveway) is forgetting to take the key out of the ignition and put it into my pocket.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chuck807 said:
I can't speak for the 400, but I feel the 650 is laid out logically... in terms of not losing your key or gas cap that is.... My key is always in one of 3 places: in the ignition, in the gas cap, or in my pocket. I just don't see how you can lose the key or the gas cap. If I need to get into the trunk, the key opens it from the ignition and the key STAYS in the ignition. If I'm filling up with gas, the key stays IN the gas cap. Kind of hard to leave the gas station without the key, and since its in the gas cap, kind of hard to leave the gas cap behind. The problem I have (and mostly at home in the driveway) is forgetting to take the key out of the ignition and put it into my pocket.
Thanks for the advice, and just in time too.. <G> doh!
jac

·
Registered
822 Posts
jacvinson said:
Thanks for the advice, and just in time too.. <G> doh!
jac
Hey Jac, if you did it then you others did too... why not capitalize on it since you're already making add-ons and what-nots for the 650? Food for thought: a lot of cars have a thingy on the inside of the gas door cover that you can hang the cap on whilst filing up the tank. Is it possible for you to add one of those to the door cover?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Jac, if you did it then you others did too... why not capitalize on it since you're already making add-ons and what-nots for the 650? Food for thought: a lot of cars have a thingy on the inside of the gas door cover that you can hang the cap on whilst filing up the tank. Is it possible for you to add one of those to the door cover?
Ya know, I had that thought myself, but from the replies and responses I've gotten about my own "lost cap" experience, apparently I'm the only one in the world dim witted enough to, somehow, lose a keyed gascap. <G>
I'm guessing the market is tiny, like ONE person... and *I've* already done it.
I could certainly put this little kit together for about $5, but who'd buy it?
jac

·
Registered
822 Posts
jacvinson said:
Ya know, I had that thought myself, but from the replies and responses I've gotten about my own "lost cap" experience, apparently I'm the only one in the world dim witted enough to, somehow, lose a keyed gascap. <G>
I'm guessing the market is tiny, like ONE person... and *I've* already done it.
I could certainly put this little kit together for about $5, but who'd buy it?
jac
Test the market... start a new topic here and see what kind of responses you get!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts