Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****! Knocked my gas cap cover off the bike today while filling up. Any idea what the best way to get the part replaced might be? Is there anything quicker than going through a Sazuki dealer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I broke the cover off of my 2006 white Burgman last year when I brushed against it while filling the tank. I went to the dealer and ordered the parts which arrived within a few days. You probably need two parts: the door and the black plastic hinge which holds the spring behind the door. Pretty cheap and arrived quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
examine your door, you might not have broken the door itself because its made of stronger plastic than the hinge

so you need the hinge and what ever piece goes with that

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yeah the gas cap cover appears rather fragile, so I try to always pull up far enough at the pump so that I come from behind it to minimize the chance of breaking it. But, as we know, "stuff happens".

·
Registered
482 Posts
Found mine broken a couple of years ago. Figure someone had been playing with the door while it was parked. Luckily I was able to find all the pieces. I was able to super glue the broken hinge back together and then melt and reform the plastic hinge using a soldering iron. Its been on there for about two years now and works like a charm. I did purchase a replacement door but haven't had to use it yet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Folks,
I appreciate the quick response and the good ideas. Will order one set, and I have the little piece that broke off. Will try and super glue it tomorrow. ......................................thanks again, Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Whilst riding with my panniers on. I kept knocking my petrol cap cover off when I was filling up. Now I just undo the two screws and remove the cover for long journeys. Saves me $25 each time.
Ginge.

·
Registered
661 Posts
In my case the plastic that the hinge goes into broke. It's way too fragile and small for its purpose. Since I'm a boater I knew about Martex which is a two part marine epoxy that is as strong as steel and just mixed some up, put it on and drilled a hole in it when cured then put the parts back on. The plastic hinge area that holds the metal is now two or three times the mass and size of the original and it's been fine. Any boating store has it in small packages...MarTex. Boater's World and places like that.

If that hadn't worked I'd have ordered two as the door is not substantial enough at all.

Lance
Chester, Va.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Hi,

I to just broke off my gas cap cover from my Burgman 650. I ordered a new hinge and spring but can't figure out how the spring goes back in. Does anyone know if there are any installation pics or instructions available for installing the spring? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BurgieMister

·
Registered
10 Posts
I need a new gas cap. Not the cover. I can barely get the key in to unlock it everytime I need gas. Do I dare risk an non-locking cap?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Did you try some WD40 or graphite in the lock to see if that would help? You might give it a try.

Bill

Enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer here said I had to buy the entire gas door and hinge even tho all I needed was the hinge. I even had the Suzuki part number. The best place I found was 2wheelpros.com. Shipping was about the same price as the part but sure beats buying the door as well. It is a genuine Suzuki part. The part number for the hinge is 47382-10G10. you will need to have the spring which looks like a piece of aluminum. I was glad I looked on the ground when I broke mine. The total cost for me was $13.50

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
n2oldchevy
Welcome to the forum. I see you've been here going on six months. Odd bringing back a four year old post for your first post, but thank you for the part number and link. That's the kind of part that I order from my local dealer. It saves me the cost of shipping and helps keep a local dealer in business. I'm also lucky my local dealer gives our local scooter club a 20% discount. :D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
In my case the plastic that the hinge goes into broke. It's way too fragile and small for its purpose. Since I'm a boater I knew about Martex which is a two part marine epoxy that is as strong as steel and just mixed some up, put it on and drilled a hole in it when cured then put the parts back on. The plastic hinge area that holds the metal is now two or three times the mass and size of the original and it's been fine. Any boating store has it in small packages...MarTex. Boater's World and places like that.
the door is not substantial enough at all
+1 I butressed all the stressed parts inside the door with epoxy. I now have a very strong door, especially around the hinge area.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts