Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several years I have been looking for a good way to carry 2 or 3 extra gallons of gas with me on a maxi scooter if I should ever make a really long trip. Like where there might not be an open gas station in the right spot every time I needed one. This quest started even before I had my Burgman and it still continues. One of the requirements for my spare gas can, or tank, is that when I'm away from the bike it can't walk off or disappear. It also has to be easy for me to get at and use when it is need, not be in the way of anything I would need on a regular basis and out of the way otherwise. KISS is my guide, but things were not working out. However, I may have found a solution.

Midwest Can makes a 2 gallon (plus 8 ounces for mixing oil) plastic gas can, the model 2300, that I can actually fit under my seat if the spill proof nozzle is not attached.

[attachment=2:yf1zfla6]Model 2300.jpg[/attachment:yf1zfla6]
There is a problem with finding a cap, other than the nozzle, to use while it is under the seat, but I may have that little problem solved already. Also, keeping gas under the seat may not be totally safe; it may not even be legal, but I haven't found anything that says I can't. Still, I think that if I'm careful it will work out should I ever actually need to use it.

[attachment=1:yf1zfla6]gas can -1.jpg[/attachment:yf1zfla6] [attachment=0:yf1zfla6]gas can -2.jpg[/attachment:yf1zfla6]

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey O&S, IMHO it's a bad idea, period. Last week I saw what gas can do in out marina, two guys were trying to start a 25' inboard runabout. After a few tries one guy lifted the rear seat, stuck his head under the seat and yelled to try it again. The explosion blew him off his feet and knocked him out. Thanks God he's ok and they put the small fire out before it became serous. If you need gas, fill her up at the station! Mark C.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I carry an aluminum container under my seat that has a great seal and holds a liter... It works for my travels and if someone is out of gas on the side of the road,,, it will get them 25 or 30 miles... I even gave a Harley rider some gas on my last trip... Those tourtubes look great...

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I can't find them sold on the Internet anymore, but GI Joes sold Stansport fuel bottles for $6.99 in the liter size. They look just like a MSR or Primus bottle.

I like a couple things about them. One, they are smaller and so if one leaks, we're talking about 1 liter, not 1 gallon getting out in places you don't want it to. Both amounts of gas are pretty explosive, but if you carried 4 of the fuel bottles and 1 leaked, you're not exposing yourself to the full one gallon leaking out. Second, they are made for camping, which means they are meant to take some abuse. A plastic gas can is made for sitting in your garage and not getting knocked about. You can also put them into a small, but open bag on your back seat and no one will look twice at them. Yet two will get you 30 miles to the next gas station.

We can get some places if you're riding about where gas stations are few and far between. When I rode the North Cascades Highway a couple years ago, I planned for my stops. And since I was considering turning back on the east side after riding all the way across the highway to Rockport...I looked at the round trip to get gas and an alternative. With a range of 200+ miles, you can go a long ways. :)

Chris

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I cannot find that one ( the BMW one ) available anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts