Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had done a tank of very cheap, off brand gas from one of the truck stops by me. Well, bike didn't respond right and milage dropped 10 mpg. Went over to QT and got gas and bike seems to respond much better. Also cleaned the k&n filter. Milage seems to have improved. Has anyone else seen differing results based on where they get fuel?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes. My 650 gets better mileage with pure gasoline (as opposed to %&#*ing government gasohol garbage), but not enough better to offset the significantly higher price. Also, there's the inconvenience of having just one pure gasoline source in my immediate area.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Run some Chevron Techron, Lucas or Seafoam carb/ injector cleaner through it and it should help. I've been using the stuff for many. many years.

Sam:)

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Run some Chevron Techron, Lucas or Seafoam carb/ injector cleaner through it and it should help. I've been using the stuff for many. many years.

Given the gas we are required to use exclusively in most states, can it be recommended that the above products be used as a general maintenance precaution say every 6-12 months?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Unless you get gas from a station that has contaminated gas in it's storage tanks there really isn't much difference and you can get contaminated gas no matter what the brand. All the gas in a given area usually comes from the same distribution terminal no matter what the brand name is. That includes the stuff at the cheap, off brand station. The only real difference in them is the additive package that has been added to the gasoline delivered to the station. That is proprietary by brands. When you buy at a off brand station you may not get a strong additive package.

However with the advent of gas blended with alcohol there is a phenomenon that can occur where the gasoline and alcohol separate in the storage tank and when you pump gas you can end up with a greater than 10% alcohol concentration. That can affect your mileage and how well your vehicle runs. Again that can happen no matter what the brand.

Personally I don't obsess about brand of gas. What I do though is try to look for stations that are doing a lot of volume business in gas. That means the gas does not sit in the storage tanks for long periods so there is less chance for it to separate or get contaminated.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Given the gas we are required to use exclusively in most states, can it be recommended that the above products be used as a general maintenance precaution say every 6-12 months?
Personally I don't bother with using it. However if you want to use it, it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

Maybe its hogwash, but my riding buddies and all make sure to schedule chevron stops on all of our rides.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a station local to me that has ethanol-free mid grade - its a Union 76 station. I burn it in the Burgman and the Karmann Ghia without problems. Click on your state/city and see if its available in your area.

While ethanol laced gas may not bother the Burgman the Ghia is another story. With the dual two-throat Weber carbs and high performance cam heads etc - it is already a handful at times - especially when the motor is cold. It smooths out above 2k rpms and runs fine on the pure gas. With the ethanol it will hesitate at speed at times. I jetted the carbs with pure gas - the ethanol is slightly lighter and meters differently - or so I've been told. Something certainly isn't right when I have to put ethanol gas in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts