Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a 40p, which fills between the legs. I have saddlebags installed.

I am about to get a 650. I want to install bags on this new one as well.
I cant figure out or not, does the bag need to be removed to fill up?

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Yes.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
But, when I remove the left bag, I just set it down into the seat pocket. Adds maybe 10 seconds MAX to a fill up.

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
and speakin of gas,,, git yer mind out of the gutter, I experimented a few times with , gas on sidestand and gas on center stand, on center stand after rocking, I got one tenth of a gallon more in, at 60 miles per gallon that's a 6 mile difference, puh!!! I also got .025 difference in fill ups depending on the level area of the apron at the station. this was filling up the tank with gas at overflow on sidestand and then putting it on center stand. If saddlebags are a problem, maybe that 6 miles is worth it ????

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
@mikeyMarine, mikey, mikey

Your mind had to have visited the gutter to know that anyone else was there.
Oh, wait...
:grin

Just in case, and to clarify what Dave said, putting the side case on the seat or in the step through during fillup is for the purpose of avoiding the problem that many with side cases have experienced... forgetting the side case at the pump while they ride off on down the road. I do something similar with the gas cap. I put that on the foot board to remind me to put it back in. I have at LEAST once forgot and left it sitting on top the pump as I rode away, only to remember and turn around fortunately. Have done the same with my sun glasses when I needed them but when I returned to find them they had been run over by the next vehicle to park in the spot I vacated. Now I place my glasses, or anything else I need to remember, on the driver seat or foot board so I either remember or sit/step on them. No more sun glasses though since my last 3 helmets have that function built in. :)

Oh, and I leave my key in the gas cap until the cap is reinserted. AND otherwise, I leave the key in the ignition or in my pocket anytime the seat is open just to avoid closing the seat with the key under there. Of course that is why I did install the emergency seat latch release... JIC.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ya, I put my sidecase down right beside the bike where I can't ride off without it. I also leave my key in the gas cap until it's put back on. You just develop your own procedure and then stay with it. As for me, I prefer to put the bike up on the center stand when I fill up. I don't find it a problem at all so it's no extra work or effort.

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
:angel I categorically deny any rumor about having a second mailing address in any gutter!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought some saddlebags and they cover the side petrol cap.
Shouldn’t be much bother to remove to refill (I hope)
I could always get my reluctant pillion to hold the saddlebag up ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
As for me, I prefer to put the bike up on the center stand when I fill up. I don't find it a problem at all so it's no extra work or effort.
What about us womens who can't get it up on the center stand, or off for that matter. I have tried putting it on the center stand and I can't do it. My husband does it for me if necessary. As for getting it off the center stand, yeah not gonna happen. I'm 5'3 so can't touch the ground when it's on the center stand. Hell I'm on my tippy toes when I'm stopped at a light. :grin

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
I typically use the center stand when filling but that is more of a convenience thing for me I think. With the bike leaned over it is only mildly more difficult to put the gas in but just easier to remove and install the side bag. Like so many others. I have my method that I use all of the time. After riding off one time without the bag, you come up with a process that works and you stick with it. I did find the difference in the amount of gas between choices of stands is pretty much negligible.

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
dunno if your situation would work for this, I got a 1 1/2 foot long steel pipe, 2 inch inside diameter, it slips over the foot pusher downer thingy and gives me sufficient leverage to raise it, as far as getting it off the stand, straddle the hump, feet on floor,and hold rear brake, shove with arms and torso, when it lands the rear brake will keep it from running over you. Mine only goes on the center stand for maintenance.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
106 Posts
dunno if your situation would work for this, I got a 1 1/2 foot long steel pipe, 2 inch inside diameter, it slips over the foot pusher downer thingy and gives me sufficient leverage to raise it, as far as getting it off the stand, straddle the hump, feet on floor,and hold rear brake, shove with arms and torso, when it lands the rear brake will keep it from running over you. Mine only goes on the center stand for maintenance.
I have tried straddling the hump and my legs are so short that I'm not very stable to get it off the center stand. When I get gas my husband is usually with me and I hold my bike upright while he's pumping the gas.

I'm just too **** short!! LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
For me it's remove the saddle bag putting it right beside side stand, then gas cap comes off leaving the key inserted and placed directly on top of the saddle bag. Then I can't get on the bike without kicking/moving the saddle bag so I don't forget to gas cap back on and saddle bag too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What I've done is cut a round piece of wood. 4 inch diameter and about 1 inch thick and slip it under
the side kick stand which almost puts the bike on a the same plumb as centre stand. Works just fine when one is too lazy or has difficulty with the centre stand.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Wait. Sounds like some of you are trying to rock the bike off the centerstand while straddling the bike?

Much easier to do while standing next to it. Leave the sidestand down, put your foot in front of the centerstand foot if the ground's slippery, and pull the bike forward by the passenger grab rail (nostly) and left handlebar (enough to steady the bike and lean it toward you) -- lean into it. Hold the (rear) brake as you do this so the bike doesn't go anywhere when it comes down.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm always straddling the bike when I rock it off the center stand. Brakes off, parking brake off, a quick rock back onto the rear tire followed by a good shove forward. The extra momentum from the rock + the quick shove is all it takes. Occasionally it takes a second rock, but not often.

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Wait. Sounds like some of you are trying to rock the bike off the centerstand while straddling the bike?
My own preference is to do that very thing. I'm of normal proportions and I find it easier to fill it on the center stand and when the bag is back on the rack and the key back in the switch, I drag myself over the hump and just give it a push. I can see that if a person were a little shorter it could be a problem. I feel like it is more stable when I use my method.
YMMV

1 - 17 of 17 Posts