Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder If anyone is using either Garmin or TomTom iPhone app for navigation. How do they compare to a dedicated Garmin or TomTom GPS?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wasn't aware that apps were available from TomTom or Garmin.
I frequently use the standard Apple or Google mapping apps for navigation, but not while driving or riding. Their real problem is that maps must be loaded from the Internet for each use, which doesn't work too well in 'no service' areas. The 2nd problem is that I need to take my gloves off. (Yeah, I know - I need to get some metallic thread.)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Buy an Android....the maps in GOOGLE Maps can be cached very easily with just a single click.

·
Registered
704 Posts
For the iPhone, Navigon by Garmin. Download the states you want and forget the internet while enroute. Play your music etc and it will lower the volume to announce your next turn.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I have the TomTom app on my iPhone (cost me £60) and it works exactly the same as my car TomTom including speed camera warnings, hotels, restaurants, car parking etc. Used it last year to navigate to Monaco in South of France via Italy, Switzerland and back on my Burg. Very good. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I'll be honest and say I don't know what itinerary planning is. :oops:

Just had a look on it and there's 'advanced planning' on there. It looks like you chose where you want to depart from i.e. Home, favourite, people, places, photo, coordinates etc. etc and then your route type - fastest, shortest, winding road, walking route etc. Then departure day and time, destination etc. Is that itinerary planning? I've never ever used that part of it - even on my car one! Looks useful though - I might give that a try in the future. :thumbup:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Steve. Itinerary planning allows you to create multi destination routes.
It's interesting how Garmin and TomTom are moving in opposite directions. Garmin has enhanced this functionality and added it to almost every GPS. TomTom completely removed if. In the long run it all probably doesn't matter. They both will become a casualty of a smartphone with Google maps.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I've used several GPS apps on my iPhone, and have found shortcomings of one type or another with each. I haven't tried TomTom, as I find it's downfall to be the high cost. Based on a recent recommendation and what I read of its capabilities, I am trying out GPS Drive, by MotionX. It is not very expensive (although, you pay by the month or annually), has off-network capability, shows current speed as well as current speed limit (for streets it has the data for), 2D & 3D, satellite and hybrid views, turn-by-turn voice guidance as well as written and graphic instructions, lane assist, traffic, can handle multiple stops (which it can optimize but, I don't often want to take the shortest route on the Burg), and has good search capability. I mention these things because this is the first reasonably priced app I've come across that has them all. The caveat is, I just got it and haven't had a chance to put it to use, yet. Review to follow!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess until there's something on the market that blows off my socks, I will continue using my old and trusted TomTom 730 when I travel the country on my bike. It's far from perfect, but with the exception of a headset profile, it has all the same functionality as the latest Garmin Zumo, including support for A2DP profile and itinerary planning. Not bad for a 5-year old GPS that costs less than $100.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts