Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this possible?

i dont have the wiring harness that came with the device.

I've just bought the motorcycle cradle and the ram mount but I'd like to use while plugged via the mini USB on the back of the device.

for what I've researched, the device gets charged through a 5V DC 2AMP current while using the stock wiring.

and it only gets charged via USB when connected to the CAR Mount which i dont have, here is my question:

is it possible to trick the device to make it believe it's using the CAR Mount? would it be just to "jump" the two pins on the back of the device or something like that?

any suggestions ?

thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Why not this, connect bare wire directly to back of 12 volt power plug.
http://www.mountguys.com/Garmin_Zumo_350LM_Hardwire_Cable_p/010-11843-01.htm.
NO NO CHERIE !!!!
The Garmin GPS runs on 5 volts.....do NOT connect directly
to 12 volts.
The power cord that comes with the GPS has electrical
circuitry that drops the voltage to 5 volts.
Check Ebay for a replacement power cord, or a power
cord that hard-wires to a 12 volt power source & has the
correct electrical circuitry to drop the voltage to 5 volts.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Fernando, I don't know about the Zumo, but my Garmin 1450 charges and operates just fine with the mini to standard USB cable and one of these. It only costs a few USD on Amazon.

View attachment 23218

The only problem, if you can call it that, is the unit thinks it is connected to a computer and has an extra long start up time.

But a benefit, is the USB charger inserts flush with the power socket and the glove box lid closes just fine on both the 400 & 650.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Motorcycle power cord for Garmin ZUMO 350 on Ebay..
item number 251422001841...$50 price range US dollars.
Regular automotive cigarette lighter power cord for this
device...8 or 9 dollar US price range on Ebay.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Fernando, I don't know about the Zumo, but my Garmin 1450 charges and operates just fine with the mini to standard USB cable and one of these. It only costs a few USD on Amazon.

View attachment 23218
This is how I run my Garmin Nuvi 50 LM. Works great and charges up without any problems. It also has the advantage of automatically detecting when the Burg's power goes off and gives me the option of turning off in 30 seconds (default) or staying on powered by the Garmin's internal battery. The Ram cradle has a hole for the USB cable built right in.

Down here those USB/Cigarette Lighter adapters can be found in almost any convenience store for about five bucks.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I have a garmin 54 LM which I charge up with my MP3 charger. You can buy these very cheaply on E-Bay. NOTE - in the picture the crescent with a dot inside it is showing that the polatity of the output is: crescent = 5volt negative, dot = 5 volt positive - The majority of these are so arranged and that is the only criterior apart from making sure that the little 5 volt plug matches your Garmin (and the other end matches your mains supply!) On the bike, I use the 12volt to 5 volt car connector that came with the Garmin. This I have connected to the BACK of the accessory socket in the locker, cable-tied to the frame and routed under the handlebar cover and brought out near the rear-brake reservoir on which is mounted my Garmin mount. All very neat and ship-shape! :D

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
NO NO CHERIE !!!!
The Garmin GPS runs on 5 volts.....do NOT connect directly
to 12 volts.
The power cord that comes with the GPS has electrical
circuitry that drops the voltage to 5 volts.
Check Ebay for a replacement power cord, or a power
cord that hard-wires to a 12 volt power source & has the
correct electrical circuitry to drop the voltage to 5 volts.
This is what a bare wire do, it has a small box with electronic that step down to 5 Volt. I have a Gilson Bare wire cable on my 2009 for my Garmin 1450, had samething on 2005 650. You connect bare wire directly to back of 12 volt power outlet our other source (very easy to do on 650), current then step down to 5 volt. Went to this because got fed up of USB power connector or USB cable vibrating loose at 12 volt outlet and GPS power would go on then off constantly, tried 3 different USB unit after a while they all do this.

Bare wire is attached to handle bars and come out directly at GPS mount on left side to me GPS mount, never have a single problem with power loss to Garmin 1450 after. No fiddle with adaptor or cable or connection ever again.

Very important to purchase correct bare wire cable for GPS unit you own, depending on model GPS some connect direct to GPS and other direct to cradle like on Zumo series.

This is unit install on both 2005 & 2009 650, Converts 10-30vdc input power to 5vdc to power your device:
http://www.gpsgeek.com/products/gusb5v-b-direct-wire-12-30v-dc-hardwire-pigtail-cable-for-garmin-nuvi-gps-205-255-265t-550-750-755t-765t-785t-855-885t-880-magellan-1200-1212-1400-1412-1430

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts