Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're interested in a GPS for your Burgman, the new Garmin Quest looks promising. It's 4.5" wide x 2.2" high x 0.9" deep and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle or carried in a pocket. It even gives vocal instructions.
I have no real use for a GPS but I sure like these gadgets. :D

http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/

·
Registered
68 Posts
GPS!

Hi Don that sounds like a very capable GPS unit. I am wondering what models are curently being used by Burgman owners and how they like the units they currently use. Enjoy the rest of your weekend ,Monday is NB day here and a civic holiday although it does not make a lot of difference to us as we have been retired for some time now/ RW :lol:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I'm currently using the Garmin Legend. Its a hand held unit basically but I use it in the car and on the Burgman.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Do you know if it is touch screen or come with a remote like the 2610 unit that I have which is much larger unit and I am having a problem trying to find a good place to much it. I have a photo of the temp location (see folder called leather seat) where it is mounted but the problem is it is not very secure because of the plastic cover over the handle bar and just about to give up trying to mount it any where else. I had to order a new two piece cover as there is so much holes by me trying to find a secure way to mount this one now. The problem I face is one it is much larger than more other units out there and it is also heavy than most but I believe it is one if the best units on the market right now that is why I got it.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Street Pilot III for me.

Choice made on cost and did not want (to pay the premium for) the touch screen facility of the then more expensive 2620 (I think that is the right model number).

However, the Quest is a very good offering with some real neat features, not least USB port and rechargable LiOn battery pack (20 hour endurance)which makes it a real good choice for motor cycles - if I had this I would not bother to run a power lead!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use a Magellan SportTrak Color. I like that it is handheld like a cell phone.

The carrying case of the SportTrak has a round "knob" on the back also like alot of the cell phone belt holders. I attached a dash mount holder to the center of the steering wheel (from Radio Shack), and the Sport Trak fits right there.

It has street-to-street routing, with beeps to let you know when the turn is coming up. It doesn't have voice command, but I don't need to spend that much on a GPS. I'll use that money to get the 650 pinstriped! :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have an Etrex Vista that I originally bought a year ago for hiking (and, **** Garmin, they've just upgraded this model to a colour screen, grrr...).

I've since pressed it into use on an XR Honda with a RAM mount on the handlebars and it's proved amazingly durable, if a little small for my tired old eyes. I must admit I get quite anal, after a long trail ride I download the route it recorded onto the computer map overlays and study it with fond little memories - look darling, this is where i hit a tree, this where i almost drowned, this is where i broke the lever, this is where i saw bigfoot etc.

It gets used in the car also but it's not ideal, the screen is great for walking but when it's suckered to the windscreen i can barely see it. I keep hoping I'm going to break it so I can get a dedicated vehicle one, that new Garmin Quest does look ideal and like the other outdoor Garmins it's waterproof to one metre depth (i've frequently tested that...).
The RAM mounts are great, but I haven't fitted one to the Burg yet, still looking for the ideal mounting spot without messing up the pretty new bike.

·
Registered
719 Posts
mupp said:
The RAM mounts are great, but I haven't fitted one to the Burg yet, still looking for the ideal mounting spot without messing up the pretty new bike.
I've got the same situation with my Garmin GPS V. I've used RAM mounts on two other bikes, handlebar mount on one, and a steering spindle hole mount on the other. I can't come up with a good option for the scooter without drilling holes in the handlebar cover.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Wasquid said:
mupp said:
I've got the same situation with my Garmin GPS V. I've used RAM mounts on two other bikes, handlebar mount on one, and a steering spindle hole mount on the other. I can't come up with a good option for the scooter without drilling holes in the handlebar cover.
I researched this at great length and came to the conclusion there were few options without damaging (however small) the tupperware.

I then went to great lengths to design my own custom mount to achieve a solid fixing without damaging plastic. The custom mount is used in combination with a RAM system

I achieved both.

However I think I was being too anal about preserving the plastic. As long as you use a standard size hole and one for which a trim cover is available (you know the sort they use in cars) then when you move the bike on you can just glue a trim piece in.

I have my solution for ye olde Burgman which you may be able to adapt for your use, drop me yr email (by pm/em)if you want details (indicate if you are on dialup or ASDL/Cable)

Regards

·
Registered
719 Posts
NormanB said:
However I think I was being too anal about preserving the plastic. As long as you use a standard size hole and one for which a trim cover is available (you know the sort they use in cars) then when you move the bike on you can just glue a trim piece in.
Thanks, Norman. I'll probably drill the handlebar cover. If I get really anxious about it, I can always buy a new one for less than worrying about it is worth.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Re: GPS!

R W Fullerton said:
...I am wondering what models are curently being used by Burgman owners and how they like the units they currently use...
I've been using the Garmin eMap for two years and it really makes distance riding easier. It is no longer manufactured, but you can still find new ones for sale. The eMap is a farily low end unit, but it was specifically designed for vehicle travel, so despite being inexpensive, it works quite well. It does not provide auto-routing on the fly, but that can be done by computer software and downloaded and of course manual routing works just fine.

Now, if I were in the market for a new GPS in the price range of the Quest, I'd strongly consider Garmin's GPSMAP 76CS. Lots of good features including a true electronic compass for a bit less money than the Quest.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You might look at the Garmin IQUE 3600. I've used one for a little over a year and love it. It's a combined Palm Pilot and color gps system. There are all sorts of add and mounting kits available, it can be carried in your pocket or hand held, mounted to a dash or bracket, has vocal instructions and lots of "computer" extras. I carry my data bases with me and can acces all my important stuff while on the go.
jac

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
DonRich90 said:
...I have no real use for a GPS but I sure like these gadgets. :D
Yeah, I'm a bit of a gadget nut myself.

I'm trying to figure out a good way to mount this one:

...and how to get enough power to run it! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
GPS

Brian,

Which model mount is that ... I want to do the exact same thing.
Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Alan

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: GPS

Bossman said:
Brian,

Which model mount is that ... I want to do the exact same thing.
Sorry, I guess I didn't make the "Big Green Grin" prominent enough.

I was kidding. That's a Garmin 530 NAVCOM for aircraft. A big panel-mount unit. Wouldn't work on, nor be that useful for, a scooter.

Although if I lived in the midwest the lightening strike display might be useful, and in heavy traffic in Seattle or LA the collision avoidance system would be great...if we could get the other vehicles to install transponders. :roll:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts