Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any owners of GArmin GPS?

How is the weather-proffness and daylight viewability of the various products? Im thinking of a street pilot 3.

Probably not good in rain, huh?

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have the strret pilot 3 it is waterproof up to 1 meter under water for 30 minutes, and i bought the shade to put over it off of cyclegadgets.com as in bright sun the screen can be a little hard to see.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've had three of them. The first had no maps & the second was still an early model. They were slow to aquire a fix & hard to maintain one.
My current one is an E-map & much better. My biggest complaint is the very high cost of the maps & the fact that they are badly out of date.
If the one you want has detailed built it maps that would be better than having to buy the maps & memory chips.
If possible you should compare various brands & models to compare the
quality & readability of the maps. They all do the same things & about as well so the quality of the maps are what set them apart.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a Garmin eMap and love it. It is one of their only models that is NOT waterproof, only water resistant.

Pre-Burgman, I got caught in a monsterous downpour riding 60 mph with the back of the GPS facing into the rain do to mounting on the mirror stem. A quick check after the storm had all of two drops of water in the battery compartment and no problems with the unit. (Garmin rocks!)

Now on my AN650 it is safely tucked behind the windshield. I suspect that it wouldn't even get a single drop of water in the battery compartment during a storm now.

The eMap is no longer in production, but it is still available out in the world. It is not as accurate as WAAS capable GPS units and does not do any automapping on the unit itself. I have always found it to accurate enough and I download my routes in advance from the computer software, so I'm good.

While you undoubtedly will be happy with the StreetPilot III, you might also want to look at the GPS V. I know a few people who swear by them. The GPS V is less expensive and more accurate than the StreetPilot III, but is not color and does have more limited memory. Just something else to consider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts