Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
say heres one for all you guys that don't really want to dismount the bike just to open the garage door.
i took a door bell button (one without the light in it) and ran a pair of wires from the button to the garage door remote control and put the control in the left had storage compartment.

here's how to do it. take the control apart and attach the pair of wires 22 ga. is fine, to the same place the little button is on the circuit board. run the wires out of the control and along the Handel bars up to the area just to the left of the left have brake cylinder sight glass. this puts it in fine reach of the thumb. make sure the push button does not contact the metal components in that area. you have to drill a hole the accommodate the door bell button. oh you will have to remove the Handel bar covers but they do come off real easy. just push in the center of the retaining clips and they come off then pull the center button out so you can reinstall them after your done. any questions send me a note and i will take a few photos and post them in the gallery. (finally figured it out thanks bill)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
corvairbob said:
(finally figured it out thanks bill)
You're welcome. Glad to help anytime. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Gosh. I just clip my garage door opener to my belt (either jacket or jeans). Since I need to use it with my car, motorcycle, and scooter, I need it to be easily transportable between vehicles. I suppose I could get additional openers, but I don't see what advantage there would be to permanently installing one on each vehicle. If it is clipped to my belt it follows me regardless of which vehicle I take.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
So does this device send a signal to the wife to open the garage door for you? - sound kinda neat - must look into that one! :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
So does this device send a signal to the wife to open the garage door for you? - sound kinda neat - must look into that one! :lol:
Nope. It is much more reliable than that! :twisted:

Well, it is until the electric motor burns out.... Which happened to mine this week. It was too old to get parts for, so I had to have a complete new unit installed. I also had to have the plumber out to do some repairs. What I had to shell out for home maintenance this week was about the same as a new Corbin seat for the scooter would have cost. :cry:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Paul, just hoof it on down to Wal Mart and get one of those camo inflatable seats in the hunting department. Best $10 I ever spent for relieving butt aches. Now, if your hotwater heater, heat pump, or furnace doesn't go up, maybe a Corbin next year!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ted clement said:
Paul, just hoof it on down to Wal Mart and get one of those camo inflatable seats in the hunting department. Best $10 I ever spent for relieving butt aches.
Yep, a lot of folks like those I know, and I appreciate the suggestion. My problem is that I can't afford to sit an inch taller on the seat. My windscreen solution is just barely adequate - on purpose. I was shooting for reasonable wind protection, with minimal air brake effect. So I think being one inch higher would induce more helmet buffeting and wind noise misery than the cushion would offset in seating comfort. For me it would probably be $10 for the darn cushion, plus $200 or so for a vented XXL Clearview, to make it all work together. Not so cheap.... and I'd be back to running with the "giant air brake".

As the weather gets colder, my rides will get shorter. So I'll probably defer any more changes until next year anyway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sure doesn't take long to get off the track on this site.
yea you can carry a garage door opener around with all day log if you like but most people do not have the gumption to carry all the megiver stuff on there belts wherever they go. and besides if you have multiple cars and garage doors to open then having a door opener just for the door you need to use may just come in handy. i guess if all I'm going to get from this forum is a bunch of nonsense jokes about mods for the bike i will just not add anything more. it takes time to set here and place a post as you all know but unlike some of you i do have other things i can be doing rather thank giving my ideas to people that don't seem to think they are any goo to them.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
corvairbob said:
sure doesn't take long to get off the track on this site.
yea you can carry a garage door opener around with all day log if you like but most people do not have the gumption to carry all the megiver stuff on there belts wherever they go. and besides if you have multiple cars and garage doors to open then having a door opener just for the door you need to use may just come in handy. i guess if all I'm going to get from this forum is a bunch of nonsense jokes about mods for the bike i will just not add anything more. it takes time to set here and place a post as you all know but unlike some of you i do have other things i can be doing rather thank giving my ideas to people that don't seem to think they are any goo to them.
corvairbob,

Don't be upset, please. I have one double garage door that covers both bays in my garage. My system works for me - and it is simple. I only wear the opener on my belt when I am riding, otherwise it sits in the car.
Well, if you have multiple doors with individual opener's, and each vehicle lives in it's own bay - its a slightly different situation. My system is best for me - yours is best for you - and we should both be able to present our solutions without conflict. No one's right, no one's wrong, we just found different solutions to share. As for the side humour on wives vs garage door openers, etc. - we do share humour on this site. Life is too short to be serious all the time. I hope you can relax a little and continue to enjoy the site with us, and continue to share your ideas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So does this device send a signal to the wife to open the garage door for you? - sound kinda neat - must look into that one!
Norm - I would rather that it would send her down with the slippers and a cold one (beer, not "the look" either). :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
My garage door opener control is no bigger than the remotes on my cages keys, so I just stuck it on the key ring of my Burg key.

Have enough stuff on my belt already, cell phone, palm pilot, sunglass case sometimes.

My garage is/was full of "stuff", pushed it back and threw some out and made half a garage for the Burg. No cars in there anyway so I only need to have the controller on one key ring.

Caught myself at work in the parking lot, the other day, pressing the button on my garage door opener as I walked away from the burg.
(It didn't lock it or make it chirp or anything) :wink:

So used to doing that with the Acura to lock the doors.
My wife said we better not get home and find the garage door wide open :lol:

Now if the sword/key doesn't start poking holes in my pockets, I'll be happy.
Maybe a holster or a scabbard or something.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Amen, lighten up and enjoy. At least you have a garage door to open.
The idea's like you came up with and the humor on this forum make it a very special place indeed. Just because they poke fun don't mean that they think your idea's bad. Keep the idea's and the jokes a comin. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pauljo, I have read that in some areas anyway, the Wal-Mart seat pad has been discontinued. Probably why you can't find it on their site.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
According to the local WalMart, it's a seasonal item and they'll have more next year.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Garage door opener

Rather than carry an opener, I enter the four-digit code on one of the external key pads to open the door. This does takes half a minute longer than activating the remote as I turn into the driveway and enter the garage non-stop, but I don't have to carry or fool with a remote while moving. It also elimates the occassional problem caused by the dog running into the garage as the door is going up and activating the sensor that then sends the door back down in front of me as I approach.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Don't be offended, be glad that your item has stirred up some food for thought. I did not realize that they make a garage door remote for the keychain. Is this true for all garage opener's and if so where can I buy one?

Evelyn

·
Registered
572 Posts
You can get extra remotes from Home Depot and most systems now have compatible key-chain-sized remotes for fairly cheap.

I just got an idea:

I didn't have Homelink in my Passat so I just velcroed my key-chain remote on the underside in a storage opening in the dash--not visible to others; easy to access.

Now for the scooter, I've been just placing the remote in upper compartments or in my pocket, but it either rattles around or I have to fumble for it. My idea? I'm going to velcro the remote to the underside of the door of one of the upper compartments. The door swings away for easy access and because it's underneath, it won't be so obviously seen--and no rattles--yaa!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts