Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I confess. I'm a gadget nut.

Wandering around Target again I came across an eddie bauer digital trail compass. Besides having a useful LCD compass mode with general direction (like N, NNE, E, W, etc.) and degrees from north, it has time, alarm, two stopwatches with LAP and Split times, temperature, day and date. It has memory review for each stopwatch and the compass. The compass memory basically remembers each time you've updated the compass and when. In review it will replay successive directional changes and the time they were taken. I'm not sure how useful that would be, but it might let one retrace a trip if the compass was triggered each time a turn was made. I'm mostly interested in the thermometer, but the compass and stopwatches are fun to play with. For example my wife often claims she'll "only be ONE minute!". With this toy I've proven she has no real sense of how long a minute is. :wink:

Pretty sure it was $29.99 + tax. I'm going to mount it front and center right below my digital trip computer/speedometer.

I've also got a spare 6" mobile LCD screen. Designed to be mounted in a car. Can't really think of a reason to, but I'm pretty sure I could mount it on the 650 if I wanted to. One thought was to hook it to a rear-facing wide-angle video camera (http://www.x10.com) for monitoring the traffic behind me. Then if I got stuck in traffic I could switch to watching a DVD movie. playing on a portable DVD player in the trunk. Hmmmmm. Probably not. :lol: I can't remember EVER being stopped in traffic on a scooter.

Dave B.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great link, Randy. Thanks.

What's interesting, though, is how it pays to shop around. CycleGadgets has a kit with 3.5" monitor, camera, brackets, and cabling for $699. My 6" monitor cost me $149. It can mirror, flip, or rotate the image to allow for mounting in any positon. I have several cameras ranging from $29 to $299, but any would work. Cables and mounting bracket were provided with my display, although I'd probably have to modify them or make original brakets to fit the LCD and camera on the scooter. Power and signal cables were also included with my cameras. Essentially, I could rig up a better "backup monitor" system for 1/2 the price or less.

As for Target, they also had the same Schwinn bike computer I purchased at Walmart. They wanted $19.95. Walmart wanted $9.92.

Dave B.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Dave wrote (snipped)
What's interesting, though, is how it pays to shop around

Most of the places on the net I use for "window shopping" just to see what's out there to catch my eye.
When I decide I want something then the real shopping starts. :)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, my next project is to figure out a way to mount one of my video cameras to my 650. I thought about getting a helmet-cam, but most don't allow zooming or motion-damping like the video camera itself does. I think I can make a platform that extends out from the grip-bar bungie cord posts. That would get me a view of the road ahead or behind with the bike on the right or left. Given the fairing, mirrors, and cluttered handlebars it doesn't look feasible to mount it up front. I could also make a platform that uses the same mounting points as the rear backrest, but that would only get me rearward, side-pointing, or shots of my back. Or on second thought it could be tall mount there, kind of a tripod, that would get the camera high enough to look over my head.

There are enough controls on the left handle that some could be used to remote-control the camera. If the left handle could rotate like the throttle does it could be used to zoom the camera. Anyone know how to do that? The passing switch could be used to start and stop recording. I have both wired and wireless remotes for my camera, so can use them to integrate with the bike's left handle/switches. I could also just figure a way to mount the remote so I could control it with my left hand safely.

I have several options for a monitor to mount on the dash, but am not sure if any of those LED screens are visible in sunlight.

One thing I'd like to know is would the site have room for short videos in the gallery? I wouldn't post ride videos, but might video tape some maintenance or modification work I do on the 650 if there was a place to post it.

Anyone else with video camera ideas or desires?

Dave B.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Dave,

Here are a couple of mounting solutions to look over :

http://www.pashnit.com/more/cameramount.htm

I think Bryan will have to chime in on storing the movies in the gallery since they require a bit of storage and will use a LOT of bandwidth. There are a few technical issues that will have to be resolved (default upload restrictions, thumbnails, compression types) ... but they are doable.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill,

I've been to that site many times, and studied all the options there. Tank mounts are out. No tank in front like a regular motorcycle. I don't want the camera to turn with the handlebars so any handlebar mount is out. There's no obvious place in front of the fairing. I suppose I could put a stud into the top of my helmet to mount the camera to, but my cameras with battery are heavier than I want to have on my head. Thanks for the link anyway, since others may want to consider the options listed there.

I've made my own tripods, a car mount for my camera, and can fabricate anything I can imagine. But I'm still in the ideating stage, so all thoughts are welcome.

Dave B.

·
Registered
83 Posts
4DThinker said:
Anyone else with video camera ideas or desires?
I've been looking for mounting ideas, myself. (A handful of the videos linked to from pashnit.com are mine, incidentally. My relatively limited collection trying a number of different mounts is here.)

I think the helmet cam is worth a look. Most all of mine are taking from it, and I don't think they suffer from any more jarring or vibration than the electronicallly "damped" videos I've seen. I think this is because the helmet cameras are analog, and the digital camcorder is simply recording the image. My only ride with the image stabilization on some pretty rough roads with my digital camcorder were less than successful.

That said, I've been thinking of a mount coming out from under the headlights, possibly something using the windscreen mount, or perhaps the side mounts in the bottom fairing along the front wheel. Generally, I've preferred my mounts closer to center and lower. YMMV.

Greg

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I parked my video camera project for awhile. In a couple weeks the University I teach at lets out, so I'll have time to revive it then.

The gadget that's kept me busy these last few days had been my AudioBoss AB 1m(ono) kit. It sure came complete, with two sets of helmet headphones, and two TYPES of mikes for driver and passenger to choose from depending on the helmet style they wear. The main unit has FM radio built-in. There were two PushToTalk buttons to mount along with the main unit. The main unit also has inputs for two-way radio, cell phone, GPS/voice, and any CD/MP3 source with headphone or line-out. It came with all the cables with the right plugs anyone would need.

I mounted the driver PTT button on the backside of the left handle. I can press it easily with my middle finger and still have a good grip and control of the brake with the other fingers. The passenger PTT went on the right passenger handrail/grip. The main unit I mounted with industrial velcro upside down on the front edge of the seat. The controls are best reached with my left hand that way. There is no remote with this unit, so it has to be out where you can get at it's controls while riding.

I've tested the intercom, radio, phone, and MP3 player hookups. Sound quality is about what you could expect for the small helmet speakers. Actually better that my cell phone's internal speakers. Fine for intercom. OK for talk radio but no bass for FM music, and no stereo. My MP3 player sounded the same as FM music; no bass, and no stereo.

I'll post some pictures in my gallery. Click on the link in my signature and look for the MotoComm AB-1m album.

Dave B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts