Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used this product to make some repairs on another bike's tupperware, rebuilding a broken tab and a bolt hole. It works very well and is well worth investigating if you ever have to make any tupperware repairs.

Plastex

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looks interesting. May we expect some video instructions on its usage any time soon?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I really like the molding compound for casting tabs!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's a cheaper fix:
I went to the big box hardware store and bought some "Oaty" brand ABS - POLY solvent in the plastic pipe aisle. Then purchased a 19 cent blue outlet box (type of plastic unknown, but I'm thinking Poly?) cut up some strips and a few angled pieces using the corners of the box. Shaped one end to match the missing tabs. applied solvent to the other end and applied to the backside of the tupperware, with some pressure. It's Still holding after 60+ days and hope to be MORE careful next time I remove/replace the gloriously colorful "Moon rock" gray tupperware.

·
Registered
204 Posts
1. ABS powder from Ebay mixed overnight in a glass jar with MEK forms a nice thick ABS slurry. Then, apply to form shape. There are tutorials everywhere. here are black pellets: 6 pounds of pellets (should last a lifetime) for $22 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-PLASTIC-PELLETS-6-lbs-BLACK-COLOR-FOR-MAKING-SLURRY-TO-REPAIR-ABS-/330978602679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0fdcaeb7. Other colors available. MEK can be obtained at any hardware/Home Depot/ Lowes/ Menards, etc. You will need a glass jar with a lid as the MEK (or acetone) is nasty and possibly carcinogenic. Use it outdoors and don't breath the fumes.

2. You can also go to any body shop and request a free section of ABS bumper. They usually throw them away. Then cut the ABS bumper to the size tab piece you need. Sand off all the paint on the edges. Then, apply plastic welding to attach the piece you cut to the fairing piece. There are tutorials in plastic welding on the net. You have to reinforce the plastic welded piece with ABS cement or ABS powder slurry mix with MEK to get a strong bond.

3. Plastex that LeDude used works excellent. I am sure he will have a tutorial. LeDude you have saved me $$. It would be an honor to buy you and yours lunch.

Thanks,
Simba

·
Registered
255 Posts
1. ABS powder from Ebay mixed overnight in a glass jar with MEK forms a nice thick ABS slurry. Then, apply to form shape. There are tutorials everywhere. here are black pellets: 6 pounds of pellets (should last a lifetime) for $22 http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-PLASTIC-PELLETS-6-lbs-BLACK-COLOR-FOR-MAKING-SLURRY-TO-REPAIR-ABS-/330978602679?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0fdcaeb7. Other colors available. MEK can be obtained at any hardware/Home Depot/ Lowes/ Menards, etc. You will need a glass jar with a lid as the MEK (or acetone) is nasty and possibly carcinogenic. Use it outdoors and don't breath the fumes.

2. You can also go to any body shop and request a free section of ABS bumper. They usually throw them away. Then cut the ABS bumper to the size tab piece you need. Sand off all the paint on the edges. Then, apply plastic welding to attach the piece you cut to the fairing piece. There are tutorials in plastic welding on the net. You have to reinforce the plastic welded piece with ABS cement or ABS powder slurry mix with MEK to get a strong bond.

3. Plastex that LeDude used works excellent. I am sure he will have a tutorial. LeDude you have saved me $$. It would be an honor to buy you and yours lunch.

Thanks,
Simba
+1 Simba, but please everyone be VERY VERY careful with MEK while its a good solvent it will immediately and permanently blind you if you get it in your eyes. Yes it is also a known carcinogenetic so gloves is also highly recommended.

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts