Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Suzuki, I am dismayed to read both on-line and in print media that the 650 is to be discontinued because the bike does not/will not meet upcoming and current emissions requirements.
This has also been confirmed by my local Suzuki dealer. I have owned my 650 since December 2017, my first Suzuki, and love the bike, having now covered 45,000 miles on it. I am looking to replace it in December this year when it is three years old and, had an updated 650 been available, you would have a continuing presence in my garage.
Please, please re-think your decision, I don't want my first Suzuki to be my last!!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If I wanted a new one, I'd go ahead and spring now, as there are still some new ones available (although the same old technology), but maybe not so much next December. I've seen some pretty deep discounts on brand new year-old ones, so that tells you something about the demand.

·
Administrator
21,745 Posts
If you buy a NEW 2011 it still comes with the 2 year warranty. New is new.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,164 Posts
Bump or rehash of an old thread.
I am still dismayed at the idea of there being no replacement 650 Burgman(Burgmen?) we all seem to like so much. Like a lot of others, I follow a number of motorcycle forums and publications and was surprised a month or so to see that Kawasaki has revamped the venerable KLR 650 for release in 2021. EFI, better brakes and some other improvements gets it back in the market. I was surprised they could clean up the big thumper but they did. I did not think I would ever see anything similar after it was dropped a few years ago. I still haven't seen anything even remotely suggesting a reintroduction of the 650 Burgman but I remain hopeful. Anyone else have any knowledge or even good rumors of something from Suzuki?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm surprised the 650 lasted this long. The mystifyingly overcomplicated drive system that added so much extra weight made it a non-starter for me. Wet clutch, hidden belt, sensors, wiring, drive motor to move the sheaves, a whole string of final drive gears to the rear wheel.... Engineers and psilocybin do not mix. Even Rube Goldberg might object. I like my rather simple 400. Don't bother flaming me or telling me how wonderful the 650 is, I don't care.

·
Administrator
21,745 Posts
I'm surprised the 650 lasted this long. The mystifyingly overcomplicated drive system that added so much extra weight made it a non-starter for me. Wet clutch, hidden belt, sensors, wiring, drive motor to move the sheaves, a whole string of final drive gears to the rear wheel.... Engineers and psilocybin do not mix. Even Rube Goldberg might object. I like my rather simple 400. Don't bother flaming me or telling me how wonderful the 650 is, I don't care.
But.... It seems you do care enough to comment negatively. :rolleyes:

I can list so many reasons NOT to buy a AN400 as there are NOT to buy a AN650. But whatever floats your dingy. I try not to bash any of the Burgmans.

What we need is a Burgman 400 owner that does NOT do their own maintenance to list all expenditures execpt tires and oil changes for 85,000 miles, the average life of a Burgman 650's CVT belt.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Administrator
21,745 Posts
What I'd like to be able to do is ask every Burgman 650 owners that have had the CVT fail a few questions.

1. How often, if ever, did you check/change the very hard to get to CVT intake filter?
2. How hard did you ride?
3. % of Auto/Manual/Power mode used?
4. How often did you check/replace the CVT stopper bolt?
5. If a 2006, Did you check the tightness of the Primary Input Adapter bolt.

Just for record:

2003 AN650 went 54,000 miles when the wrong oil was used in the Transmission, 0W20 was in a 10W40 bottle. Just tires, brake pads and oil changes in 54,000 miles.

2008 AN650 went 19,000 miles when it tried to fornicate with a 1987 Chevy pickup truck. Just Tires and Oil changes, no brake pads needed.

2008 AN650 Gold went 64,000 miles when a crash took it out. Just Tires, brake pads and oil changes up til the crash.

2003 AN650 with 54,000 miles, still going strong. Just Tires, Brake pads and oil changes.

I can not say how long my current 650 will go. But with all 4 I have about 190,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,164 Posts
Oops. I didn't mean to bring up animosity between 400 and 650 owners. I've never ridden the 400 Burgman but maybe one day I will. I went to the 650 after having a fairly spirited Italian sport touring bike. It was a change to drop almost half the displacement but for what I typically do, the 650 works for me. I bought mine because I couldn't find any significant reports of problems with the newer versions of the CVT. No idea how far it will carry me but I ain't worried about it. I remain hopeful for someone at Suzuki to throw us a bone and make a newer version. I was surprised to see the KLR news. I was not expecting to see much at all from any OEM of anything for this year. I would agree, the 650 had a good long run with some changes but the basic platform remained. It lasted so long because it worked. I would say it still does but does need some changes to remain compliant and to offer more farkles to those who partake of the Burgman lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What we need is a Burgman 400 owner that does NOT do their own maintenance to list all expenditures execpt tires and oil changes for 85,000 miles, the average life of a Burgman 650's CVT belt.
I could hit that in 20, 25 years. I'll get back with you then, lol. (If I'm still riding the Burgman at 85.)

Edit: maybe not....so far I've done all my own maintenance, except for tire mounting, but with aging and a bad back that could change in the future.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
What I'd like to be able to do is ask every Burgman 650 owners that have had the CVT fail a few questions...
Maybe worth asking about running in?

I remember somebody who advocated v. hard running in had a failure and I think Quantum mech. once mentioned 2 that had been hard run in (one might be same individual as QM and I were both on some of the same bike networks, don’t know)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts