Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for reading

I currently do not own a Burgman, (YET) but I am soon going to be in the market for one. Through my Searching Journey of learning about the Burgman 650, I found this place, and I have to say, after reading some of the Posts, Looking at a lot of pictures and the history of this place, I am very impressed.

My Name is Jason. I started looking at getting a scooter, as an economical 2nd vehicle for the family. There has been attempts to talk me into other scooters or motorcycles. I think that with everything that I have researched on, the Burgman is the best course for me.

My biggest hurdle is, I can not afford a brand new one, and used ones are very few. I live in East TN, and I have found a few prospects for a used Burgman 650 ’07 and a ’09. We’ll see what happens. Hopfully I’ll have something lined up before the end of the month. And I can start adding pictures of my own

Well That’s it so far.
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hold out for a good used one, even if its several hundred miles away or takes a couple months. You'll get the best deal that way and the ride home will be fun.

Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Welcome, good luck in your quest.

You say you are interested in economy in a second vehicle, well a 650 may superficially look like a money saver when it comes to raw fuel burn compared to the average American truck, but there is very much more to running costs other than fuel.

The problem is,particularly if you are attracted to the 650 as a 'do almost everything' motorcycle (which it is), then you will pile on miles that you would have never done in your truck. We are not ashamed that we even invent excuses to pop out to the local store for 'this and that' - it may even take us 3 hours and a hundred miles out of our way - but hey life on two wheels is fun. :)

Leaving aside fuel useage, there are other significant costs which I will not wax lyrical about here but will briefly mention a few, in no order of scale or importance:

1. Insurance.
2. Safety Gear.
3. Servicing (especially if you are not a shade tree mechanic).
4. Tyres (motorcycle tyres are expensive and you do not get many miles out of them compared to a car tyre).
5. Farkling - it is a rare owner who does not spend out on accessorising their bike.

So if you are determined to get on two wheels for reasons of economy, you may wish to consider a smaller bike,maybe a Burgman 400 (still a very capable vehicle). If your 'use vision' only includes local running then maybe going even smaller say 150- 200cc machine. I think the Burgman 200 may be available on your side of the pond this year.

Anyway - focus on what you want to use the vehicle for and consider overall costs before parting with your hard earned.

Welcome to the forum. :hello2:

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
All true stuff NormanB and all things well worth considering before one buys. I definitely spend more on my bikes than my car.

However, if ALL you're gonna do is substitute your car, you can do it inexpensively, like Norm said with a cheap scoot. Don't put anything into it. Just run it till it dies and repeat.

That being said, anything more gets into hobby and entertainment land. And as hobbies and entertainment go, motorcycling is pretty cheap. A good dinner for two, $100. That's five weekends of fuel. $40 for the movies, that's an oil & filter change that lasts $4k miles. A night out on the town, show, dancing and drinks, etc., that's a new jacket that will last 10 years. Of course your wife or girlfriend is gonna be pissed when you choose a GPS over Six Flags tickets for the kids.

They real question is will you enjoy it enough to make the investment payoff. The costs come down once you've gotten the items you need and figure out how to do the basic maintenance yourself. But will you stick to it after the glow of a new bike is not quite as bright?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Welcome! I too am looking at getting a Burgman, although I am looking at a 400 that a friend has for sale.

Try to avoid one that has been modded - performance upgrades especially - unless you like them and know that they were done right. Luckily it seems most Burgman owners spend their money on luggage or other non-detremntal upgrades rather than messing with the engine and running gear. The same can not be said for smaller scooters! I love the new word I just learned from NormanB - "farkling"!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I love the new word I just learned from NormanB - "farkling"!
Thats the verb - as in "I'm farkling out my ride." The noun is 'farkles' - I.E. things for the mc/scooter that f**king sparkle.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome to the site and good luck with your quest to find your Burgman. I started to ride last year and began with a 250cc Honda Reflex because I wanted to make sure I would enjoy riding on a good starter scooter. They were reasonably priced and Honda's seem to hold their value pretty well. So this year I sold the Honda and went out and bought an '08 400. Part of the reason I bought a Burgman was because of this site. Anything you can possibly want to know about them are here. Anyway, I wouldn't rule out a 400 in your search and they get great gas mileage. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Welcome but if you are a brand new rider I'd seriously be cautious starting with a 650 Burgman.

Many new riders get in over their head. You look husky enough to handle a 650 but this is a heavy sopisticated high speed machine that can bite the unwary new rider.....costly or hurtful or both.

If you give us a bit more background will help. Many including me have picked up super deals on 650s from new riders who after the fact realize it's too much machine for them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I too am a wannabe Burgie. In my case I'm looking for a bike as far away as I can. I'll hop on a plane with a few clothes and camping gear in a duffle and have the time of my life getting home.

Although I won't be buying till I sell my motorhome, I've been watching the Burgman ads long enough to know there are many good deals out. However, you may have to travel to take advantage of them.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me be honest. I really like the Scooter, The Looks, The Feel (From what I have felt at dealers) the over-all potential fun.

I really do not go many places other than back and forth to work and to the store once and awhile. The way my wife and I see it, If I get one of these then she can have her car back when she wants it, and I can have a vehicle of my own again.

I Work less than a mile from work, but my Church is about 5 miles, and I volunteer for both services. This makes it hard to leave between services to get my family. All in all I’ll be doing about 85 miles a month. This does not include joy rides :)

As far as the extras and accessories, I fully expect to get all kinds of stuff it, but that is from the money I earn. From what I have seen in videos, Doing an Oil change is Super Easy.

Other things like: daily and monthly upkeep, rain gear, cover, ect, These are things that are normal and I can justify. (To My Wife)
Thing is, I don’t want to get another car or truck.

With all the research I have done.. The Burgman is what I am looking but With what everyone has said here I am going to keep the 400 in mind and start some research projects on that.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. Please know I am, and will take it to heart and consideration.
Jason

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah - I think especially from your description a 400 is a great choice.

Funny thing you will find - both work and kirk will get further and further away and take longer and longer to get to ;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Welcome but if you are a brand new rider I'd seriously be cautious starting with a 650 Burgman.
Good point. The 650 is NOT a beginners bike. I've ridden many and owned a few larger bikes and the 650 is still a touch intimidating, even after 35 years of riding. The Power mode is unbelievable in the twisties. It's not forgiving. A few times being pulled back from the thrust of the bike, you wonder, "wow, what if I can't let go of the throttle... I'd sail off this mountain" it's not a rocket ship, by sport bike standards, but its not to be triffled with either.

So, if you're really cautious, the 650 maybe the way to go if you're new. Otherwise you'd be fine with the 400. I love mine. Plenty of power, but not so much as its scary.

And storage wise, the 400 has more internally. I shop with the big cart at the grocery store. It's the F150 of scooters. Lol. :D

Good luck. The search is half the fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts