Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First long ride, Portland to Olympia, 135 miles. On the way up everybody was doing 85-90 and so did I. It was a blast. I'd put fuel system/injector cleaner in the tank with the intention of doing an Italian tune-up anyway and they helped. MPG was 60. On the return trip I just puttered at 60 and got 73mpg. It's not worth going slow.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
"Not worth going slow" lol, I'm not a speeder, never got a ticket, but it sure is fun to open up that 400!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Congratulations on your first long ride. I think it helps you get to know and trust your scooter and yourself when you take your first long ride.
I would rather ride at 60 mph all day and be able to look around to enjoy the trip. When our local scooter club goes on an exceptionally long ride and we need to hit the freeways for some of the ride we sometimes have to do 85-90 mph. Although we make good time, at those speeds you really can't look around and enjoy the ride. It's not safe to take your eyes off the road nor is it fair to any new riders riding at 85-90 mph.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting the differences in tech and engine management between my carb'd Reflex and the EFI Burgman. The Burgman is 150cc bigger, more powerful yet got better mpg than the Honda.
I agree, you must focus on the road going fast, and slower lets you look around. That day was one of those days when everybody was speeding and it was find another route or risk a rear-ender. Reminded me of when I lived in New York City. I was out at 3AM, don't remember why, when I pulled out onto Madison Avenue and nearly got creamed by a taxi. Everybody was going near 100mph so I had to match speed or die. For a mile or so that kept up, streaming through red lights, till I could bail out of it. It was a thrill, though scary. So, if you go to NYC, be careful pulling out onto main streets in the wee hours.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Those speeds are dangerous and illegal - assuming your a perfect person who never makes mistakes, what if your tire blows at 90mph? CVT belt snaps and locks the rear wheel up or another gear failure back there locks it up going that fast? What if another rider makes a mistake, those speeds leave you no time to do anything but crash really really hard and fast. Just my two cents, If the group gets much over 5 past the speed limit then I let them go and I am on my own and catch up at the next stop. I value my life to much for that After personally having a blow out of a rear tire on my Honda Helix at 70mph on a 65mph freeway I know for sure it can happen to even a new tire and I don't want to be doing 90mph when it does.

Not insulting anyone, just putting my two cents out there.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Interesting the differences in tech and engine management between my carb'd Reflex and the EFI Burgman. The Burgman is 150cc bigger, more powerful yet got better mpg than the Honda.
I agree, you must focus on the road going fast, and slower lets you look around. That day was one of those days when everybody was speeding and it was find another route or risk a rear-ender. Reminded me of when I lived in New York City. I was out at 3AM, don't remember why, when I pulled out onto Madison Avenue and nearly got creamed by a taxi. Everybody was going near 100mph so I had to match speed or die. For a mile or so that kept up, streaming through red lights, till I could bail out of it. It was a thrill, though scary. So, if you go to NYC, be careful pulling out onto main streets in the wee hours.
Yeah its amazing when I ride my old Honda Helix and then the Burgman. Technology has come a long way :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The Burgman 400 is one of the most fuel efficient maxi's on the market, yet with performance aplenty. I still marvel at it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep it was amazing to me having just ridden one across the USA. I knew it did well in and around the city but just didn't expect how well it would do on a long trip.

Suzuki really has something here if they would just make a couple of updates and service access a little easier and offer it every year in WHITE!

·
Registered
94 Posts
RED!!

John:p
Amen, brother!

Scarlett - '08 Candy Sonoma Red Burgman 400
'06/'10 Red/Black Yamaha Vino 49

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sometimes I will be cruising on the I-10 at 75 or so, just to avoid becoming roadside debris, and will catch myself thinking, "only one little cylinder under there", like riding a lawn mower engine, how does Suzuki do it....
Shoot, our Pony tractor is 500 cc.... :D Watching the MPG display in the 70's!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what you mean, my lawnmower is a 44 cubic inch V-twin. Wish it had EFI.
Usually I stay at 5 over at most, but this day I just went for it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ride all year round, unless the temps are below 35 or so, or if the sky is clear and the roads damp as radiative cooling will cause freezing roads at higher temps. I have never done a group ride, perhaps I should. Anyway, the highway system was originally designed in the 1950s for speeds much higher than allowed. Materials in machines, tires, belts, oil, coolant, electronics, brakes have improved vastly over what they were even in the 1980s. I have 7,000 miles on my tires and belts and am confident that I won't have a problem... but that doesn't mean I won't, but the odds are very small. So, if I was risk averse I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning. My Burg has the typical shudder at 55-60 and so I don't like riding it at that speed.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
..if I was risk averse I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.
Yeh....then you'd end up with 'bed-sores'.:crybaby:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
"what if your tire blows at 90mph? CVT belt snaps and locks the rear wheel up or another gear failure back there locks it up going that fast? What if another rider makes a mistake"

Good questions, although those things happening at anything more than about 10 mph, on two wheels, and you are surely hosed.... Thus, the importance of being alert while riding, and knowing the condition of your scoot before you hit the road.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'm lucky to get 60mpg cruising, don't know how you guys are getting such high mileage....
They weigh a buck fifty or so. My buddy who's jocky size rode my 400 and got 10 mpg more than I do. The 400 is very sensitive to load.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts