Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to how many of you wear a full face helmet while riding your scooter. :?:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I wear a full face helmet on everything I ride.

i wear either my HJC symax or HJC AC10

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I wear a full face helmet when riding both the scooter and the motorcycle.

I do have a good 3/4 helmet with flip down face shield, and I used to wear it when it was extremely hot out. I'm beginning to question the wisdom of doing that though - protection is much better with the full face.

This is not a 30 mph scooter - it cruises easily at 85 mph and will hit 100 mph. I wear the same protective gear riding it that I use when I ride the motorcycle.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ditto what Eddie said.

I wear a full face helmet on everything I ride. I have two, an HJC SyMax, and an older Shoei RF900. The Shoei is quieter.

The only reason not to wear one, and considering their vast safety advantage over open-face helmets, is if you simply must be seen. Harley riders come to mind. If you ride a Harley and come cruising by wearing a full face helmet, you're Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous. The whole point of having a Harley and riding it, is to be seen riding it.

There's a guy in town who rides a Ninja, a very fast Ninja. He never wears a helmet, or protective riding gear for that matter. He has a courier bag slung over his shoulder. He's some sort of computer type and rides around solving people's problems. When I asked him about the no helmet thing, he said that he suffered from claustrophobia. I felt like saying, hey, this isn't going into the MRI tunnel or being locked in the closet by Mom because of some misdeed. But I didn't say anything.

It's up to you, really, what you wear. I wear a full face helmet. I also wear, depending on weather conditions, a variety of jackets, ranging from a 3/4 length TourMaster, a FieldSheer racing jacket, or an AGV mesh summer jacket. All have protective pads. I'm not a fan of fractured skulls or broken body bones.

I call it risk management.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I find my self using my 3/4 most of the time, not a smart move on my part. :(
But I guess it's just the name "scooter" makes me feel like it's a play thing. wrong attitude and I know I could wind up in a world of hurt.
Got to work on that. The attitude not the hurt :!:
:)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I wear a full face helmet usually, but now that the temps have officially hit 100+, i've gone to my 3/4 helmet. I don't feel as safe, but the heat is stiffling in the full helmet at these temps.

I do wear a full mesh jacket and pants (Phoenix) all the time and gloves.

I've recently tried out a small half vest under my jacket that has those colloid crystals that hold water pretty well. It worked pretty well the two times i've used it for the drive hom from work in these high temps.

I've also been watching the temp gauge on the Burgman. Still only 3 bars showing, although the gauge i've put on the steering column has indicated 105 for at least an hour while I was driving.

flint

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Count me in as a Full face helmet type guy. I've raced motocross with 3/4 helmet and goKarts with full face. I want the protection the full face offers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
full face or not...

I am currently riding with a 3/4 helmet with a face shield. Only because the dealer is going on its 3rd week tomorrow waiting for my full face helmet. I just could not wait that long before riding.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We'll be wearing our full-face helmets on the AN400. We both thought about 3/4 helmets but frankly, the more we've read (we're big on doing our homework, as you may have surmised :wink: ) and heard, the more we felt we needed to go full-face, especially as newbies.

Lynn's a tad claustrophic but upon trying several types, found the HJC CL-14 will work well enough for her to go full-face. And I've spent 2 hours in an MRI machine (and have 2 more hours ahead of me later this month), so claustrophia wasn't an issue. I was/am a little concerned about field/range of vision but think the CL-14 will again meet these needs.

Cheers,

Bryna

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The weather was perfect for riding this morning. You can always tell when it's getting warm out because the bugs, and the Harleys, come out in droves...

Anyway, I noticed that most of the riders that were not on Harleys were wearing full face helmets (exception being some Goldwing riders, who do the 3/4 helmet with faceshield and microphone thing). Most of the Harley riders were wearing the 1/2 helmets with the leather flaps that come down over or around the ears, no face shield, just sunglasses. Most of the Harley riders were not wearing protective jackets either.

Not trying to start another Harley bashing thread here, but I just couldn't help noticing the difference.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I cant stand the full Face - but I wear it when highway riding and foul weather.

So Im a 3/4 and gargoyles man. I might get a modular flip up, like a Shoei Sychrotech...expensive - or another Nolan.

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
flintbobbi said:
I wear a full face helmet usually, but now that the temps have officially hit 100+, i've gone to my 3/4 helmet. I don't feel as safe, but the heat is stiffling in the full helmet at these temps.
flint
I wear a full face Shoei RF1000. It get into the 120's here in Vegas and I can tolerate the temps if Im doing 65-90 on the highway. But as soon as I hit the first traffic light in town, my shield comes up to vent the rising heat from the road.
-Bryan

·
Registered
320 Posts
Harleys and helmets

Paul, I noticed the same thing riding around yesterday. Skull-cap helmets, no jackets (75+ degrees out...I did envy them in slow-moving traffic), gloves sometimes.

Interestingly, this was the type of rider who rarely returned my wave whereas the 3/4 or full-facers almost always did. :?

I also found it very helpful to put the face shield up at lights, in slow traffic. And I'll be getting cooling bandanas, vests or whatever it takes to keep cool in my full-face this summer. The full facer did allow me to drink water pretty well without dribbling.

Bryna

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in the full face helmet camp, using a Nolan with flip up chin bar. This can be used with the shield up (like others, I guess) as long as the chin bar is locked. By the simple expedient of forgetting to lock the chin bar (not good), I discovered that the helmet with face shield up and bar locked is as cool (or hot) as a 3/4 helmet-and much easier for people wearing glasses or wanting to talk with helmet on.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I wear a full face - I own three Arai RX7s (solid silver x1, Agostini rep x1, Spencer rep x1). The girlfriend wears an Arai Ram 3 (3/4 with massive full face visor).

Many Police motocyclists across the globe wear open face helmets without visor - that being seen thing again, possibly. However, they do ride all day everyday, and in pursuit situations. Perhaps we should place the emphasis on polished riding skills as opposed to ever increased layers of protective clothing and larger helmets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Full Face Helmet?

Okay, Okay, Okay! I hear you! I guess I should wear my Full Face helmet more often!

I like to wear my half-helmet most times during warm weather. I usually
only wear my full face helmet at night. I did just buy another full face helmet today with the flip-up chin thingamabob. I guess now I better wear it!

Anyone want to buy a used beanie helmet? :)

Neil in San Diego, CA

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here in Phoenix/Mesa area I wear a 3/4 helmet this time of year. I'm afraid if I wear a full face I will pass out from the heat. For the 3 months when it's not over a 100 every day I wear a full face helmet. :oops:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts