Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used 07 B400 with 363 miles. Upon inspecting the bike the wear and condition matched. I was apprehensive about the fuel tank after reading a couple threads about fuel starvation/low power. After about 180 miles, it would accelerate to about 5,500-6,000 RPM and just fall on it's face.

Pulled out the fuel pump assembly from the tank and found

Yep...seller said nothing about this...obviously, someone has been in there before me. 11 year old bike with only 363 miles on it, I'm not overly surprised.

The fuel "regulator" screen is plugged.

Attempted to back flush the screen with brake clean, this is what came out. It's like very fine sand.

I've been on the google jazz fingering away looking for parts. I'm about to pull the trigger on a new tank and pump assembly, looking at about $600. I could get a new regulator and fuel pump for about $200 and clean the tank. Or just replace the entire thing so I don't have to worry about it. Honestly I only want to do this job once and removing the tank looks to be a real PITA.

Has anyone purchased from any of the following web sites?

motosport. dot com
highflowfuel dot com(Quantum Fuel Systems)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone removed the fuel tank from a B400 WITHOUT removing the engine (completely dismantling the bike)? I've looked at MicBergsma's videos, he doesn't have on for tank removal, he does have a video for removing the front box and fuel filler access door.

It appears that the fuel tank will only come out of it's location rearward (where the engine and shock reside). Distance between the frame tubes above and below it are narrower than the tank.

At least it coming apart fairly easy, it's near spotless under the tupperware.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I just checked the service manual. Step 1. Remove the floorboards. Step 2. Remove the Engine!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here we go again :D I think I will need to make a guide if this continues, and as it started it seems that all Burgmans will get this problem eventually.
I posted a mod for fixing this, costs about $10 and no need to remove anything but the regulator you already removed.

Somebody asked something similar a few days ago: https://burgmanusa.com/forums/52-bu...w-us-problem-thought-i-would-ask-experts.html
Also, check my post history for the solution and other posts that explain how to do it.

·
Administrator
22,287 Posts
Aron, I went to your earlier post and made it a Sticky so it is at the top of the 2007 400 page. Work with me and I can edit it as you need.

Reactions: Jeff K

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uncle Fester,

Yes, I have the service manual and have read it and know it says to remove the engine. I can see why. I'll remove the engine, it's just time and doesn't appear to require any special tooling. If pulling the radiator will get it out, I'll try that, was planning to flush the coolant anyway.Just trying to check with a community that has a vast experience base.

Aron,

Yes I saw Razbarlow's thread. As far as I can tell, he hasn't removed his tank yet.

The inside of this tank is corroded and has a lot of super fine grit. I am removing the fuel tank. I'll try to get some pictures. Even if I wanted to repair/treat the inside of the tank, I really needs to be removed from the bike.

Besides, she's almost naked and I just got an email that the used fuel tank has shipped.

I really just want to do this job one time, and done right. This bike is 11 years old but is like showroom everywhere except inside the fuel tank...

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Administrator
22,287 Posts
Done.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fuel tank will NOT come out the front. There is a vertical frame member (rectangular approx 1/2" x 1") that spans the entire forward opening of the frame. It's to the right of the coolant reservoir.

Fuel tank has got to be the first thing that they install in the frame during assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Your right. Your bike does look very clean. Too bad about the fuel tank. The Achilles heal!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine and fuel tank are out. Not overly difficult. Only tools I've had to purchase are a 32mm socket and a torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft/lbs (203 Nm). There's just a lot to take apart, again not overly difficult, just time consuming. And all the parts take up almost half my garage! The engine isn't 'too' heavy, just a bit awkward because it pivots. My neighbor assisted with pulling the engine...paid him in beer.

Photos of the inside of the tank. This is why I am replacing it as well as the entire fuel pump assembly. This is the root of the whole problem with Bugger. Even if I was to try to fix the tank it would need to be removed to facilitate a repair.

Attachments

·
Administrator
22,287 Posts
Man, in the 70's that would be psychedelic art.

Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
107 Posts
Engine and fuel tank are out. Not overly difficult. Only tools I've had to purchase are a 32mm socket and a torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft/lbs (203 Nm). There's just a lot to take apart, again not overly difficult, just time consuming. And all the parts take up almost half my garage! The engine isn't 'too' heavy, just a bit awkward because it pivots. My neighbor assisted with pulling the engine...paid him in beer.

Photos of the inside of the tank. This is why I am replacing it as well as the entire fuel pump assembly. This is the root of the whole problem with Bugger. Even if I was to try to fix the tank it would need to be removed to facilitate a repair.
Mine is worse, it's all browned but since I modded it it has worked flawlessly for the last 6k miles I did this summer. So I guess it depends on how long you are planning to keep it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
And that was caused by water condensation/contamination in the gas over time?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And that was caused by water condensation/contamination in the gas over time?
That would be my guess. I just bought the bike last week. 07 and only had 363 miles on it.

You can see the dark line just below the tank seam where the fuel level was for an exented period of time.

Proof that low miles/infrequent use over a long period of time is not good for machines.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Man,
I have worked on may vintage bikes , small engines , snow mobiles , etc. , I would take that tank in a heart beat .
Personally , I wouldn't have bought a different tank and please don't throw that tank away as someone on here will buy it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man,
I have worked on may vintage bikes , small engines , snow mobiles , etc. , I would take that tank in a heart beat .
Personally , I wouldn't have bought a different tank and please don't throw that tank away as someone on here will buy it.
Raz,

There's a radiator/fuel tank repair shop near by I plan to take it to them to see if they can repair it. I got the used tank from ebay from an 11 B400 for $100 (new from Suzuki is about $265 and up from what I found online). Photo of the inside of the used tank is attached.

Used tank and fuel pump expected to deliver tomorrow. Since I have it stripped down, I thoroughly flushed the engine water jacket, radiator, and overflow tank with intention of refilling it with Pentosin Pentofrost A4 coolant. Same coolant for my Prius.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Used tank delivered today. Inside looks great pristine compared to the original tank. photos attached.

New fuel pump assembly, used tank and engine are installed. Glad I bought a new complete fuel pump assembly. The fabricobbled pump that was in the bike had the strainer and cap missing. Rear wheel and swing arm installed. Need to add fuel, oil and coolant, install the muffler, glove box, battery and ECU then fire it up. Once it's running, reinstall all the body work. Hope to have it back on the road sometime tomorrow.

Photo of the oil filter that was in it attached...is this typical? It appears to be collapsing on itself and the paper is very brittle. Previous owner said he had it replaced recently.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts