Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
For those of us that have decided some sort of protection, am I (are we) over-thinking this?
So to think it even further...the Marine 360 costs a little more than the regular 360. But if you look at the dosage, pink Stabil is 1 ounce\2.5 gal, 360 is 1 ounce\5 gal, and marine is 1 ounce\10 gal. So it probably ends up being the most cost effective, assuming you don't over-dose. (Which I probably end up doing with Seafoam and some others that I just pour in without measuring, but Stabil has the measuring cup built in, so less waste.)

Reactions: SilentP

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been using Startron in all of my off road machines, lawn mowers, and street bikes for over 10+years. I have found that Startron to be better than STA-BIL When I go to start the bike up after sitting all winter. With STA-BIL I have to run the tank dry before the bike will run good. With Startron the bike will start right up and run good right from the get go. If you have a metal tank you must either fill the tank full or empty during the winter. If half full the metal tank can/might rust on the area not covered by the gas.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So to think it even further...the Marine 360 costs a little more than the regular 360. But if you look at the dosage, pink Stabil is 1 ounce\2.5 gal, 360 is 1 ounce\5 gal, and marine is 1 ounce\10 gal. So it probably ends up being the most cost effective, assuming you don't over-dose. (Which I probably end up doing with Seafoam and some others that I just pour in without measuring, but Stabil has the measuring cup built in, so less waste.)
Didn't pay attention to the dosage. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,654 Posts
I also use mostly Costco Top Tier Gas in all my vehicles. Never had a fuel related problem using Ethanol 10%. Did have a fuel related problem long long ago with non-Ethanol gas in a car once. I used to use Sta-Bil in all my bikes when I didn't ride through winter months very much. But that's been a long time ago. Even when I started riding after the snowy days started I used to put in Sta-Bil at every fill up since I didn't know how long I might just have to park it until the pavement cleared again. But for the last 10 years at least I've never let my bike sit more than 2 weeks before riding again and then would usually end up riding through a tank before it would sit for even a few days, so I got away from adding it to the tank. I may start that up again (adding Sta-Bil at every fill during winter months) since I don't commute to work since retirement. No harm burning through a tank with Sta-Bil or other treatment in it. As was said, you burn the gas with treatment the next time you ride anyway.

I do use Sta-Bil in the tanks of all my other motors when out of season. Mowers in the winter months and snow thrower in the summer months. I should be using it in our Rav4 since that sometimes sits for over a month since I ride the Burgman and my wife drives the Corolla or Metropolitan (depending on weather).

·
Premium Member
10,477 Posts
now I'm curious, no need for stabilizers for seasonal storage, but I do have 10 % garbage fuel, and humidity so high rainwater has to force a path thru it, gas gets cloudy, will stabilizers help my vehicles ,? (lawn mowers, car) that may sit for a week or 3 (car) without ever being started?

( had a snowmobile once, but got tired of waiting for snow in florida, )

·
Premium Member
10,477 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
No issues with snowmobile in FL.. check this out.
Holy heck. I had no idea that could be done. The video that automatically played right after that one was some guys trying to beat a jet ski's speed on the water with a snowmobile. All went well until he upshifted.... hilarious. They retrieved it from the lake, dried out the engine and it started right back up. Suzuki quality!

Their advice from all this was not "don't try this at home", but "just don't shift up".

Now we know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe it's really obvious since searching the web, I wasn't able to find anything on my question.

Supposing I add a stabilizer (let's not start the Stabilities vs Seafoam debate) but yet I wanted to ride my bike with the stabilizer in the tank. Would that hurt anything in the engine? Why should I NOT do that? I would think (and common sense would indicate) no harm, but need to ask to make absolutely sure.
I don't think it will hurt anything. If you put it in and let it sit for say 6 months till spring. When it starts next spring do you think you should drain the tank? I put Seafoam in my lawn tractor and put it on a trickle charger all winter. In the spring, I disconnect the charger and cut grass. Same with my scooter. Put it away for the winter. If I get a rare nice day, I take it out. Park it again with a full tank, add a little Seafoam and I'm good. Stabilizers are for long term storage.

·
Administrator
18,919 Posts
Some of you are over thinking this. Just start and ride in the spring.

Reactions: rjs987 and JRoss

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Maybe it's really obvious since searching the web, I wasn't able to find anything on my question.

Supposing I add a stabilizer (let's not start the Stabilities vs Seafoam debate) but yet I wanted to ride my bike with the stabilizer in the tank. Would that hurt anything in the engine? Why should I NOT do that? I would think (and common sense would indicate) no harm, but need to ask to make absolutely sure.
I'm a little late to this party, but, FWIW:

When the end of season for me is getting near, I put StarTron (okay, any stabilizer, no need to go into this brand fight) in each tank, AND ethanol-free gas (almost always highest octane, because that's what available around here as E-0). Thus, for all of my end-of-season-is-approaching tankfuls, it's E-0 and stabilizer, kind of a double-whammy against separation, gumming, etc.

THEN, if I'm wrong -- and I usually am wrong, because I start that process a little early -- I just ride through those high-test/E-0 tanks ... repeating as necessary (i.e., using nothing by high-test E-0), until the riding season really is over, and the bike's moved to the front of the garage, to make getting the snowblower out easy, etc.

The third aspect of my approach to winter storage is to fill up at a gas station that's less than three miles from my house, at the end of a day's ride, when the season is, or might be, over. Thus, in storage the gas tank will be full, and will have 99+% stabilized E-0 in it.

There's a nice free phone app, Pure Gas (with a corresponding web site, Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada), that let's you find the nearest E-0 station, should anyone decide to follow my procedure.

Reactions: JRoss and Dave_J

·
Registered
1 Posts

Fuel stabilizer works well. I have a scooter on Maui that I leave filled with gas and stabilizer for 4 to 6 months unattended. When I get there, I put in a fresh battery, turn the engine once or twice and off to the races I go! Another thing you should do is put in gasoline that does not have ethanol. Ethanol has water in it and clogs the fuel jets. A local mechanic there told me about it. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Fuel stabilizer works well. I have a scooter on Maui that I leave filled with gas and stabilizer for 4 to 6 months unattended. When I get there, I put in a fresh battery, turn the engine once or twice and off to the races I go! Another thing you should do is put in gasoline that does not have ethanol. Ethanol has water in it and clogs the fuel jets. A local mechanic there told me about it. Hope this helps.
Welcome new Guy,

Did you buy your Burgman in Hawaii or ship it there ? If you shipped could you give us the details on how and how much ?

And can you ferry island to island ?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts