Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe it's really obvious since searching the web, I wasn't able to find anything on my question.

Supposing I add a stabilizer (let's not start the Stabilities vs Seafoam debate) but yet I wanted to ride my bike with the stabilizer in the tank. Would that hurt anything in the engine? Why should I NOT do that? I would think (and common sense would indicate) no harm, but need to ask to make absolutely sure.

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
the one time I used it , the instructions say run the engine after adding the stabilizer I never put any swimp or any other seafood in my gas tank

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
No harm. I almost always add Stabil, Seafoam (I assume seafood was autocorrect at work) or some other stabilizer to the tank, even in summer, since I use ethanol blend fuel and I'm never sure how long it might sit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No harm. I almost always add Stabil, Seafoam (I assume seafood was autocorrect at work) or some other stabilizer to the tank, even in summer, since I use ethanol blend fuel and I'm never sure how long it might sit.
Thanks, Gary. I thought so. I will do as you. I buy my gasoline almost exclusively at Costco. 87 octane as with all my vehicles. 10% ethanol, but "Top Tier".

·
Registered
143 Posts
When my winter rides will be short and infrequent or before I head south for the winter I start using high octane ethanol free gas and leave the bikes and cars with Stabil Marine stabilizer. Come spring I just start 'em up and run 'em. No problems ever with funky gas carbureted or injected.

·
Administrator
19,946 Posts
These stabilizers are safe to run any time. I do not know the octane rating out of the bottle but the dilution rate in the 87 octane gas would be low.

I ride year round most times so I refresh my fuel on the Burgman. But my back up power genarator I use Stabil in its 6 gallon tank and the 20 gallons of standby cans because we never know when we will be out of power for days. Last major power outage we were dead for 12 days.

Reactions: SilentP and JRoss

·
Registered
514 Posts
Found a station near that has non ethanol fuel so the bikes get that as the 'last' fill up with stabilizer added. Especially the 400. Ever replace a fuel tank on an 07 and up 400? 😣

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Anybody know what the difference is between regular Stabil and the marine version? (Marine dosage is lower per gallon.) Also, there's a 360 label that says it protects above the fuel level or something similar, I guess to prevent corrosion in the fuel tank? Buying stabilizers has become as complicated as pain relievers or antihistamines.

Reactions: JRoss and SilentP

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe it's really obvious since searching the web, I wasn't able to find anything on my question.

Supposing I add a stabilizer (let's not start the Stabilities vs Seafoam debate) but yet I wanted to ride my bike with the stabilizer in the tank. Would that hurt anything in the engine? Why should I NOT do that? I would think (and common sense would indicate) no harm, but need to ask to make absolutely sure.
I add Seafoam once during the year and then again to a FULL tank before winter storage. I will go out and once a month run it on the center stand for about 15 minutes. And its on a trickle charger too.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I use a dose of Seafoam about every fourth fill up and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Anybody know what the difference is between regular Stabil and the marine version? (Marine dosage is lower per gallon.) Also, there's a 360 label that says it protects above the fuel level or something similar, I guess to prevent corrosion in the fuel tank? Buying stabilizers has become as complicated as pain relievers or antihistamines.
Google search difference is between regular Stabil and the marin, returned this link:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I use SeaFoam more as a fuel system cleaner ....does it also combat the evils of ethanol as in long term storage?

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use Stabil for all my petro needs since I store 30gal of gas/diesel each.

Red stabil in non ethanol gas for the scooter, and all other gas engines. Diesel stabil too for the tractor.

Only my truck gets 10% ethonal gas. When we had a boat I used the green stabil because the boat wrench claimed it protected the rubber hoses and recommended that we use it.

Here in CNY, aka 'the graveyard of the clouds', scooters and other equipment can go static for weeks at a time. Now cars are immune to weather conditions so that fuel is always getting freshened.

If I were an all weather rider replenishing fuel regularly I wouldn't bother with Stabil.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Google search difference is between regular Stabil and the marin, returned this link:

Don't know why I didn't think to look on their website. Looks like the pink stuff is for long-term storage and the 360 is for every day and to prevent gum-up over there shorter term. The marine apparently has more corrosion inhibitors, which seems it would be a good thing for the bikes.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Don't know why I didn't think to look on their website. Looks like the pink stuff is for long-term storage and the 360 is for every day and to prevent gum-up over there shorter term. The marine apparently has more corrosion inhibitors, which seems it would be a good thing for the bikes.
Especially for our steel tanks on the 400 👍

·
Administrator
19,946 Posts
The main thing about steel tanks that the 400 uses is to have them topped off with a stabilizer or totally drain them and leave the cap off so it dries out when storing.

Does the UH200 use a steel tank?

Why did Suzuki use a polypropylene (PP) tank on the 650? Bigger question, WHY did they NOT use PP on the 400???

Reactions: JRoss

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
... snipped ... Supposing I add a stabilizer (xxx) but yet I wanted to ride my bike with the stabilizer in the tank. Would that hurt anything in the engine? Why should I NOT do that? I would think (and common sense would indicate) no harm, but need to ask to make absolutely sure.
SilentP. take it one season further. You've added stabilizer in your tank when putting your ride away for the non-riding season. Fast forward to the next riding season. Do you not start riding again with that very same stabilizer in your tank?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The main thing about steel tanks that the 400 uses is to have them topped off with a stabilizer or totally drain them and leave the cap off so it dries out when storing.

Does the UH200 use a steel tank?

Why did Suzuki use a polypropylene (PP) tank on the 650? Bigger question, WHY did they NOT use PP on the 400???
I wonder if it's less expensive to make a basic steel tank than a PP one? Maybe the tank on the 650 needed to be a shape that couldn't be easily formed in steel?

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Option #1:
STA-BIL 360° PROTECTION ($16.99 for 32 oz) (Amazon $14.54)
Use STA-BIL 360 Protection at every fill-up
Keeps fuel fresh for up to 12 months

Option #2:
STA-BIL FUEL STABILIZER ($13.99 for 32 oz) (Amazon $8.88)
America’s #1 Fuel Stabilizer Treatment
Keeps fuel fresh for long term storage – up to 24 months

So, if I was not sure I would use my bike over the winter (want to keep options open), It would make sense that I would choose the "STA-BIL 360° PROTECTION" as it lasts for up to 12 months. This is true if I am going to use the whole fuel tank in less than 12 months.

If I wanted to store my bike for longer than 12 months (and therefore will not use the whole fuel talk), then I would be best served by the "STA-BIL FUEL STABILIZER". I don't think this would ever be the case for me. I can't see myself going that long on a single tank.

So the most cost-effective solution (whether or not you need to store the bike with the same tank of gas for up to 24 months) would be the #2 and Amazon has a great price on it. Use it at EVERY fill-up to get the benefits of ethanol gas engine protection.

For those of us that have decided some sort of protection, am I (are we) over-thinking this?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts