Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took a nice ride on back roads some distance from my house. I was very low on fuel (probably less than a gallon) when I stopped at a "Mom & Pop" gas station. I pulled up to a pump and started adding fuel. Suddenly, I realized that I was pumping diesel into my tank, not gasoline! I put in .27 gallon (about a quart) of diesel. To dilute it, I filled the tank to the top with high octane gasoline. I drove it for about 20 miles before getting home. It seems to idle OK, but I did notice a little hesitation when I acccelorated. I plan on driving it tomorrow to burn up as much of the bad fuel as I can, before adding fresh gasoline.

Does anyone have another recommendation? I appreciate your advice!!

My bike is a 2009 Burgman 650 Executive.

·
Administrator
20,089 Posts
A little diesel will not hurt much but a quart is a bit much. I would just top off again and all should be OK. A little diesel will clean all the carbon out but a lot will foul the rings and sparkplugs. Bet the exhaust smells funny.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Nope. You will be OK. I would top it back off with fresh gas every 50 miles or so for the next couple hundred miles and not worry about it. The bike will be fine with only a quart of diesel in it with 15 quarts of gas.

A friend of mine filled his Goldwing up brim full with diesel once. He did not get far. Had to syphon all the diesel out and fill it back up with gas. Still ran like crap for a little while but in about 20-25 miles it was OK again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your prompt replies. I will do as recommended and keep the tank topped off as I drive it.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I did the same thing a few years back except I filled the tank almost full before I discovered what I was doing. Luckily I discovered it before I tried to start it. With about 3 gallons of diesel in it there was no way it was going to run far. I had to siphon the tank as dry as I could get it then refill with gasoline. There was probably a little diesel left in it but I have no idea how much. Did not seem to hurt it. I burned out that tank before refilling it again.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I once filled my Honda 750 bike with diesel in error. Amazingly, it started and ran at slightly more than tick-over but only on full throttle and full choke. I reckon I could have got home (4miles) with a bit of judicious riding but I opted for the breakdown truck instead.
I also put a bit of diesel in my Ford car before I realised it was the wrong pump (because the pump nozzle didn't fit properly) I topped it full with petrol and had no further problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Telling my age again, but when I was a kid some farm tractors would run on gas to start and could them be switched over to kerosene for the rest of the work. Back then gas cost about 32 cents a gallon but kero. or diesel less than half. Those were low compression engines and they ran great. There is more heat in burning kero. or diesel so in a modern high compresson engine the mix-up could damage the engine, but at the amount you used, I don't think it will hurt the engine as long as rubber parts (gas hoses, etc.) are OK.
Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm the guy who mistakenly added diesel to my Bergman gas tank. I followed the advice given and took a long ride today, stopping every every 40 miles or so to top off with GASOLINE. Everything is back to normal now. My "bike" idles and accelerates like normal.

The advice given on this site was right on. I really appreciate the help.

The nozzle on a diesel pump will not fit into the gas tank opening on most cars because it is too wide. This restriction does not apply to the opening on a Bergman fuel tank. The nozzle fits perfectly. One must therefore be extremely careful that they are pumping the correct fuel. I certainly learned this lesson!

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
you should be fine as long as you don't run the bike with diesel in it.

siphone it out, fill it with some gas, siphone it out again and then fill with some good clean gas and hope for the best...

an easy mistake now days especially with the single nozle pumps.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
As long as it wasn't so bad like Dave J said you'll be cleaning the carbon out of the cylinders and some smoke. Time will tell whether or not you'll have to replace the O2 sensor or not (F1 code down the road).

·
Administrator
20,089 Posts
Almost all "Fuel Injector Cleaner" in the bottles at auto parts stores is based on Kerosene or Diesel with aromatics added to please the nose. These are solvent grade petroleum and are heaver than gasoline. They should not have any lead in them. "Watered Down" with 15 quarts of gas it should be fine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Okay...I'm not putting anyone down here...but I can't understand how you make that mistake.

Diesel smells FAR different; it has different viscosity when coming out of the nozzle. Diesel is a light oil; and that oil sticks on the pump handle. Gasoline is a solvent. That's why there's always dirt on a diesel pump nozzle handle and gasoline handles are generally cleaner.

Was it a matter of too many miles and light on the saddle, needing some coffee or soda to recharge the gray matter?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
For me it was a matter of being use to the Diesel plumb handles being green and the gasoline ones black. Place I stopped at all the handles were black and I did not realize it. Did not detect the diesel smell while I was pumping either. What did get my attention was when I looked at the pump to see how much I had pumped in and saw the diesel indicator lit up. As for the handle being dirty or oily, it wasn't. It was as clean as the one for gasoline.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Telling my age again, but when I was a kid some farm tractors would run on gas to start and could them be switched over to kerosene for the rest of the work.
Tom
35 years back when I rode my RD350 through Africa I had difficulty purchasing fuel in Zaire (now called the Congo). Often the only fuel available was kerosene to power fuel stoves, which I purchased directly from villagers in their homes.

After filling up, the only way to start the RD was by getting a tow up to 25mph and then releasing the clutch. As long as I kept the revs up the bike would run, but it was hard work on a 2 stroke which had very little power below 5k revs in the first place. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
My teenage son once put in diesel gas instead of reg gas. He inadvertently pumped a gallon of diesel fuel inside our tundra p/up. Then right afterwards, he put in 16 gals of reg. unleaded. Immediately, it ran like crQp, and then a couple miles later, the check engine light got triggered. Afterwards, I retrieved the CEL codes, and it pointed to either a failed oxygen sensor(s) or catalytic converters. I changed out 4 oxygen sensors, easy DIY, and reset the light. But the CEL kept coming back. SO, I then took it into our Toyota dealer, and they ran diagnostics on it, and confirmed that both the cats were bad. So my personal experience w/ this diesel fuel mistake turned out to be a disaster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts