Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas why my mileage dropper from 63 MPG to 53 MPG. I noticed this within the last 500 to 600 miles. I changed the spark plus, changed the final drive oil and installed a new K&N air filter. I have a 2007 Burgman 400 with about 11,500 miles on her. The weather is colder so the gasoline may have a different formula but I'm puzzled.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that I also have changed from the original tires to Pirelli Diablo tires. Could that cause lower mileage?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
WINTER! Cooler weather can cause a drop in mpg. Plus they alter the formula on the gasoline additives because of fuel vaporization. This will cause every engine to loose some mpg.

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer.
From - http://newsroom.aaa.com/2013/06/what-is-the-difference-between-summer-and-winter-blend-gasoline/

The filter, plug and oil change should not have affected the mpg but tires can. Make sure the air pressure is correct for the tires.

·
Registered
352 Posts
^ Yep, different tires, you might have to experiment a little to find the "best" tire pressure for them. Somewhere between "mushy" and "skateboard wheels." :)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Did you change the muffler connector when you removed the muffler to put on the rear tire? If you didn't, you'd hear a putting sound down where the muffler meets the exhaust manifold on the right side of the bike. The bike would be significantly louder.

Extra oxygen would be getting in and the efi O2 sensor is right there. Extra Oxygen by the sensor could cause it to enriched the mixture, thus lower mpg.

The connector is easy to miss because they tend to get brittle and disintegrate when you pull off the muffler. A tire guy would easily not notice. Check the sound of the bike. $18 for the part. I make it a point to buy one every time the muffler comes off. Get an '08+ model connector, suzuki changed it from the 07. It's a tad longer, but will still fit an 07.

·
Registered
66 Posts
And it is hard to tell anything on a single tank of gas....take an average of several and you may find nothing has changed.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Colder weather means that the engine and oil all take longer to warm up so the engine will in any case be supplying a richer mixture for a mile or two more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great responses. The Suzuki dealer did the rear tire and I didn't get charged for a new connector. I don't notice a difference in the sound of the scooter. I'll play with the tire pressure a bit to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
My 400 is sensitive to outside air temperature. Hot temps = MPG in the 70's easily. Colder temps = down to the 60's.
Stop and go driving kills MPG too.

A day in the 80's with steady cruising, on a nice level highway = over 80 mpg. Great bikes. :cool:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Lots of good stuff here already, but if the new tire has a different outside diameter than the original one, that will knock off the relationship between observed distance and actual distance traveled. Every time I change the tires on my truck, I have to use the GPS to mentally recalibrate the speedometer.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
My 400 is sensitive to outside air temperature. Hot temps = MPG in the 70's easily. Colder temps = down to the 60's.
Stop and go driving kills MPG too.

A day in the 80's with steady cruising, on a nice level highway = over 80 mpg. Great bikes. :cool:
My '03 400 behave like this, when the ambient temps fall below 60 it drinks a bit more fuel...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think I will try to fit a Warm Air Intake to Burgie. I have one on my Saturn and it results in noticeable MPG gains. The engine inhales 100 Degree air in the winter. (I have a Scangauge so I can verify MPG and IAT). :)

Starting point will be a remote, digital thermometer in the air box.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Have you kept track of RPM vs MPH in past.

My RPM had increased recently (say last few months) for same MPH by about 700 (Say at 60 MPH use to be 6000 and went to 6700). MPG had droped from say 63 / 65 to less than 60 MPG.

By the way -- I had 22,700 miles on the Original Belt and Rollers when I changed the Belt and installed sliders about a week ago.

Performance based on 300 miles is showing:

63 MPG
and RPM way below 100 x MPH -- not 700 above 100 x MPH.

See post I made for actual RPM Information after the Belt was replaced and new Sliders.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/52-burgman-400-2007-model/97169-test-ride-new-cvt-belt-sliders-recent-install-post.html

Personally, I do not think Winter Gas or Tires make the difference you are seeing.

Wonder how this comapres to other folks using new CVT Belt and Sliders (19 GM).

MPG is 63MPG so far -- based on oddometer readings and gas used.

It really seems to me the Clutch engages more smoothly - have had hardly any shudder even at easy take offs. ?? as I did nothing to the clutch.

Summary on RPM vs Speed in MPH:

AROUND 50 MPH is break even point where RPM is right at 100 times speed (5000 RPM at 50 MPH). That varies some with conditions and acceleration.

BELOW 50MPH - say 20 to 45 MPH range (20 MPH is normally right at 4000 RPM for most load conditions) & (30 MPH is normally right at 5000 RPM for most load conditions) & (40 to 45 MPH is around 4500 to 4700 RPM for most road conditions).

ABOVE 50 MPH - say 60 to 80 MPH, 80 is fastest I have been so far. The RPM is generally always less than MPH x 100. (60MPH is about 5200 RPM) & (70 MPH is about 6000 RPM) & (80 MPH is 6300 RPM) *

1 - 14 of 14 Posts