Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you find it reliable ? Can you trust them ?

After my first refueling, the marks disappear in the folowing distunces:

After my second refuelung, the first mark disappear at 120km (?!?).

Is it normal for break-in ? Does it need to be fix ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mark 1 lasts for 50 miles for me (80 kms)
Mark 2 another 30-40 miles (~68 kms)

then the last few marks drop quickly from there, until I have 1 blinking mark after about 150 mi (~120kms).

I think that the tank marks are innacurate in terms of mileage traveled, but my theory is that they are accurate in relationship to the tank. I think the tank is not a cylinder by any stretch of the imagination. For example, think of a tank shaped like a " V ". If you put a fuel marker on the side of the tank, at ever 1m intervals (I have a big tank here), you would get a "burgman effect." The first interval might contain 50l of fuel, the next, 40l, then 20l, etc. Although the markers are evenly spaced, the amount of fuel contained within each mark is different. Just a theory, and something I would imagine could be fixed with some reprogramming of the dash.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Use one of the odometers as a fuelling aid and reset to zero each time you fill, as you gain experience with the machine, you will be able to judge much better than the gauge indication.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I don't see how you could ever get the marks on a fuel gage to be "even" or the same from fill up to fill up.
The marks only show the amount of liquid (gas) in the tank, that has nothing to do with mpg.
At 80 mph up hill with a head wind your first "mark" mite only get you 25 miles.
The marks will just go by a lot faster . :(

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Shaylock!
THe 650 will get better milage as you break it in. When I first got mine it ran dry at 300 kms. Now If I fill up at 300kms it still has 2 litres in the tank or another 40 kms . Like Norman says I use trip meter A as my gas gauge. When I get close to 280kms and the last segment starts to blink them anytime after that is a good time to fill her up.

I am confident in saying that my Burgman will go 320-340 kms on a tank depending on how hard I am with the throttle.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
shaylok said:
Do you find it reliable ? Can you trust them?
I've found the gauge to be very consistent from fill-up to fill-up. What I don't like is that all 5 segments stay lit for many miles, then when they finally start disapperaing they go out rather rapidly. As mentioned above, tank shape is probably the reason.

The AN650 owner's Manual says:
The fuel meter displays all 5 segments when the fuel tank is full. The left segment flickers when the fuel level drops below 1.5 liters (0.4 US gal).
They also show a chart that shows 1 bar blinking at 1.5 liters remaining, and 1 bar steady at 3 liters remaining.

Note that those amounts are for when the gauge first reaches that level. It could be less than 3 liters, for example, if it's been on 1 bar for a while. I look at it as 1 bar means less than 3 liters remaining, and 1 flashing bar means less than 1.5 liters remaining.

I've found that to be quite accurate and I also watched my fuel gauge a few times as I slowly added gas and watched how many gallons were in as each segment lit, and so depending on the kind of driving I'm doing I know about how much further I can go when 1, 2, 3, or 4 segments remain. I get about 50MPG on the highway, 45 in mixed driving, and 40 in mostly stop-and-go city driving.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pgray007 said:
...then the last few marks drop quickly from there, until I have 1 blinking mark after about 150 mi (~120kms)....
Uh, 150 miles is about 240 kilometers, not 120.

1.6 kilometers per mile.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Uh, 150 miles is about 240 kilometers, not 120.
I was multiplying by .6, and forgot that pesky 1.6. Reminds me of that dude in the movie "Office Space," always forgetting a decimal place somewhere!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Fuel Guage

I think you missed the point Randy :) . What everyone would like is for the segments of the guage to represent equal amounts of fuel. Not equal distances as you seem to think. If the segments of the Burgman's guage represented equal amounts of fuel, programming of the control computer should allow it to take any tank shape into account, then we could do our own calculations on distance based on the trip meters and how hard we are riding.

I'd like the same for every car I've ever owned. I find the first half of the guage gives me about two thirds more distance than the second half of the guage in most cars :wink: . My 2002 Camry is no different :? .

Richard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts