793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of us AN650 owners have had to get used to the LCD fuel level bars:

1st bar) almost 100 miles.
2nd bar) around 125 miles.
3rd bar) about 155 miles.
4th bar) about 185 miles.
5th bar) get gas!
5th bar blinking) That had better be a gas station ahead.

But wait... We want a more precise readout, like this:

1st bar = 1 gallon used.
2nd bar = 2 gallons used.
3rd bar = 3 gallons used.
4th bar = 3.5 gallons used.
5th bar = 3.75 gallons used.

Introducing the BurgyFuel Module.
Its programmed to do analog-digital-analog mapping from the gas tank sending unit (variable resistance) to the sending input at ECM.
BurgyFuel Module processor re-interprets this resistance into precise fuel remaining values to make the appropriate bars blink, then each bar will go out.

The BurgyFuel Module lets you know exactly how far you have to go and how much fuel is used, including more realistic mpg (or litre/) calculations before filling up.
Use one of the tripometers as elapsed distance compared to spent fuel bars - It’s easier!

There are several fuel used/remaining ranges available in the BurgyFuel Module, including litres per bar. A jumper chooses which one, upon installation.

BurgyFuel Module is very reliable and doesn't adversely effect your Burgmans circuitry because its (low-power & fused) circuitry only senses and outputs highly isolated resistance!
Installation is not messy and does not involve contact with fuel or other fluids.
There’s a simple connector that reconnects the Burgman ECM to the sending unit again to make your Burgman go back to the stock fuel readout if the BurgyFuel Module is ever removed.

Need a real-world fuel readout for your Burgman AN650?

The BurgyFuel Module is $55.00 and that includes U.S. shipping and U.S. instruction booklet.
Allow 8 weeks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Fuel Level Bars - Real Quantity Modification

I've never had fuel gauges on any of my bikes so I don't use them, I use mileage to fill up much more accurate unless you have a unusual ride.

My gauge

1st bar 150klms
2nd bar 210klms
3rd bar 230klms
4th bar 250klms
5th bar Flashing 260-280klms

Hand book states from memory when 5th bar flashing 2.5 litres, no bar just fuel bowser flash 1.5 litres

Most fill ups at 260-280klms needs 12 -> 13litres work out about right with 5th flashing 2.5litres left.

Good idea anyway ...

Rgds Greg ...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The BurgyFuel Module is a good way to look at fuel usage instead of seeing the fuel bars as approximate milage.

The Burgman was designed with litres in mind as the 5 bar scale more accurately depicts their use.
With the BurgyFuel Module, metric riders still get the benefit of its fuel trend blinking-bars. Plus, for both standard and metric readout the damped sensing BurgyFuel Module does not dip down a bar, then up again as the stock electronics do in half-scale readings between bars.

I've added an attribute to the readout that blinks the current bar 3 times every 5 seconds for 3/4 (gallon or litre), 2 times for a half, 1 time for a quarter. A steady bar is between a full (gallon or litre) measure and above a 3/4 quantity.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Device Spec's & Limelites

No, I don't have a website (just yet) for the BurgyFuel Module.

A prototype has been tested and I just posted the above Ad yesterday.

I could stand the "Ooh cool, you should sell these" comments only so far - So Here It Is!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Top of the line

A gas line fuel-flow sensor and a usage trend calculating controller/matrix/display driver would be required.

Monitoring the speedometer sensor (speed sensor) would provide automatic flow/distance covered to fuel quantity/distance remaining calculations.

Monitoring the fuel level sending unit (to gauge total fuel to flow sense) is also required. Filling the tank beyond tank level and into the filler pipe would blank the system until tank only fuel sensing is achieved (4 gallons). This is because the tank level sender tends to reach the end of travel at maximum tank filled level and would otherwise 'fool the system' if a rider tops the tank into the filler tube, beyond the senders range. This extra fuel is almost a pint on a cold day, so the system should only start calculating/displaying if the tank sender starts to travel below its maximum (a known maximum value).

Full throttle start outs and other kinds of variations in fuel flow would be averaged out by the calculations every 45 or so seconds.

Its display and settings buttons could be affixed to the underside of the headliner (in front of Burgman LCD panel at ledge underside) or the handlebar cover.
I'll put in a backlighted display and it'll provide air temperature too.
All of this With wireless LAN to your PC or Mac for trip analysis (small speadsheet/database delimited file with driver).

Right off the top of my head, it sounds like about $275 without Computer trip analysis firmware (?$). The fuel-flow sensor alone could cost $50-$100 but they are very accurate. They are so accurate that the fuel level float sender becomes a "known value" fuel level sensor only, to provide the calculation with fuel remaining values.
It's wiring harness, fuel line modification for sensor and panel addition could take a days labor.

Would you want one Kenny?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow. I didn't expect that. :) You actually could build one. No, I don't think I'd need one - although it would be a cool thing to have for really long trips. I don't take too many of those though. :)

Kenny

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright then Kenny,

I'll get the cost down and add some other functions on it, then I'll get back to you later about it.

I have found a way to calculate fuel used from the filler tube by accumulating fuel flow readings through the time when the float starts down. This way, the calculations always run and display.

An optional function of intake vacuum/RPM sensing (to the BurgyFuel) will give the user an engine efficiency monitor. Imagine selecting the best fuel grade and speeds for your Burgman by viewing/downloading engine efficiency data over time.

I'll offer the Burgyfuel Module, BurgyRange Display and BurgyPark (brake-on, footpeg down, engine still runs) functions on one board. Depending on your budget, just add options to the functions. Not everyone may want a display along with wireless PC link and if they don't want the BurgyPark, they may leave its wire harness and install instructions off of the order.
I'll leave all instructions, software code, schematics and mechanical diagrams on the website so you can look before you buy.

I'm picking up a new controller prototype board next week so I can test and build all controller projects out of one kind of chip (cheaper/faster development) architecture.

The calculations will be proven before I let anyone have a stock item but depending on users feedback, display menus and other user interactions can be rewritten on the fly. A zif-socketed chip will allow the owner to swap them and the board will be spray sealed to keep moisture out so it'll live forever.

I'll display paypal 'product' with graphic demo's on my webpage in the future. If you don't like anything, return them in unbroken condition within 45 days for a refund minus 15 percent restock charge.
If anything is found to be defective from materials and workmanship, I'll replace them at no charge for 5 years or when I die, which ever comes and goes first.
The nice part about these items is that they will add dollar value to a used Burgman sale beyond what you had originally paid for them.
Plus, the new owner can add options to an already installed system.
In the unlikely event that I would be unable to support any items, enough free information should be web-available to allow anyone to obtain off-the-shelf parts and (PIC Chip) programming.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear bells all around, though I never heard them ringing..

Okay Covert,

I'm adding a buzzer/flashing light (can be muted) that will alert the Burgman operator of impending low fuel situation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love it! You're just feeding off our comments and ideas. :D

Sounds like you're a serious engineer... very cool. I used to work as a bench tech at an electronics place... till I switched to web application programming.

One thing I really like that you mentioned was the BurgyBrake - I would love to have that!

Can't wait to see it on your site... I might just have to have the deluxe package... 8)

Kenny

·
Registered
67 Posts
How about a module that toggles the clock back and forth between the time and the current ambient temperature from the included remote mountable corded sensor. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jas340,

The addition of an independent timebase that provides time in zone adjusted 12/24 may be redundant. You can look at the Burgman’s clock now. The Burgman’s time section will be readily readable even with the addition of a Burgydisplay.
Automatic timezone adjusted display is on your GPS.

---

Kenny,

All right! A Tech on this board!
Doing factory line-returns or consumer electronics service gives us an appreciation for well designed goods.
Occasionally I download the MX demo suite for greater sophistication on web pages. I wish basic mouse pointer rollover options were included with $29.95 Quicktime Pro!

Considering safety in the design of the Burgybrake option, I'm including a substitute sensor that requires greater hold-pressure of the rear brake.

As the Burgman comes out of the box, it is possible to partially engage the rear parking brake to get the light to illuminate but with enough throttle it is possible to overcome this inadequate setting and turn the rear wheel anyway. This cannot be allowed to happen with the sidestand down while using a Burgybrake.
The substitute sensor requires much farther travel of the ratchet-hold before Burgybrake’s Light/InterlockIgnore (LII) circuit is enabled.
This new requirement won't be unnaturally hard to achieve, just a tighter engagement. As long as the brake linkage is kept to stock specification the Burgybrake sensor won't need re-adjustment.

---

Thanks All for designing this With Me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like a smart move on the brake thing. I would have thought it could work on the light alone, but you're right... 8)

Sounds like you do this full time? Or is this just a side project for you?

Kenny

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
side order

Schedule-wise, this is a side project.

Good news on the BurgyBrake development:

The light will work normally as it does now. This means that it will be steadily lit when the handle is pulled but when the proper brake pressure is achieved, a buzzer will beep and the light will blink.
This way, you'll always know if the handle has been left pulled and if the brake is dragging. When the linkage is tight though, you'll again know (beep/blinking light) your set properly for side-stand deployment while the engine is kept running.

Details details!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
level of expertise

If you can go by your Suzuki dealer and look at their service manual section on removing the plastic parts including the lower trunk, that'll give you a good idea of the basics. If you've never seen the AN650 manual, take time to familiarize yourself with the Grouped Index sections and required prerequisite tasks.
The new tasks are installing the wire harness with zip-tie retainers and velcro, plugging in the new connectors, securement of the chassis for the electronics, system checks then re-assembly.

Allow a full day (at most) with about 3 breaks at 1.5 hrs each. A seasoned mechanic, familiar with the dis-assembly and re-assembly of the AN650 plastic parts can do all tasks in about 2 hours.
The idea is to take your time. The instructions will explain how to take the plastics off and on without having to use a Suzuki service manual.
I'll be near a phone too but I don't expect you'll need that.
This project will also show how the Burgman plastic covers tear down for other service that may be required later.

To be realistic, I'll aim for April 1st, 2004 to begin filling orders that will require 2 weeks before Burgy Module kit arrives at customer door.
The website will be ready before Feb '04 and it'll list required tools, obtainable at your local hardware store.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Sounds great!!!! Feburary 4th is my birthday. What a great present to myself this would make :lol: Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts