Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 400 ,which had a fuel supply issue. the bike would bog down on acceleration .So i removed the fuel pump from the tank as i read from someone who had this same problem , and poked a hole in a tiny fuel screen used in the pump , he suggested doing this and then installing an inline fuel filter before the fuel injector . Now my question is how much pressure does the pump make ,trying to find the proper size fuel line to connect the filter to because i have to make a longer line to use a filter ,In other words I can find the 1/4 inch fuel line but it isn't high pressure line . do i need High pressure or can i get by using regular fuel line? Hopefully going thru all of this works to relieve the Bogging under acceleration .
PS: any Info will certainly be appreciated , I don't want to cut the original fuel line until i'm sure this is going to work.
Thanks In advance

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have a 2008 400 ,which had a fuel supply issue. the bike would bog down on acceleration .So i removed the fuel pump from the tank as i read from someone who had this same problem , and poked a hole in a tiny fuel screen used in the pump , he suggested doing this and then installing an inline fuel filter before the fuel injector . Now my question is how much pressure does the pump make ,trying to find the proper size fuel line to connect the filter to because i have to make a longer line to use a filter ,In other words I can find the 1/4 inch fuel line but it isn't high pressure line . do i need High pressure or can i get by using regular fuel line? Hopefully going thru all of this works to relieve the Bogging under acceleration .
PS: any Info will certainly be appreciated , I don't want to cut the original fuel line until i'm sure this is going to work.
Thanks In advance
Does this happen when the bike is cool or warmed up????

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It Happens after you have been running for about 20 min. so It is warmed.
The rain has gone ,so Today i will try it out again and let ya know if there is an improvement since i poked out that tiny screen. I don't want to cut the fuel line yet and install a filter until i'm sure i have solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I remember back when I had my 2008 400 that there was an issue with some throttle Bodies that would cycle a valve that would choke the engine suddenly shutting the bike down and create the bogging that you are experiencing while applying throttle when the bike has warmed up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Isn't the screen you poked a hole in the fuel filter? If so now you are running with no filter at all, so the stuff that clogged the screen is now going through the system into the injector. It seems to me that after you disable the fuel pump filter you have to add an in-line filter.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Having done this mod myself:

1. There is around 42psi on the fuel rail (or what amounts to the fuel rail on a Burgman)
2. You need a filter rated for fuel injection line pressure
3. You need fuel injection rated fuel line.

You can find everything you need at O'Reillys auto parts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't the screen you poked a hole in the fuel filter? If so now you are running with no filter at all, so the stuff that clogged the screen is now going through the system into the injector. It seems to me that after you disable the fuel pump filter you have to add an in-line filter.
That was my plan , but till i was sure i solved the problem I didn't want to cut the existing fuel line to install an Inline filter , and Today A test ride confirmed the same problem is still there ( Bogging under acceleration )

·
Registered
91 Posts
You still have the same problem and now you are also running without a fuel filter. Running without a fuel filter is probably a bad idea so you will have to install an inline filter. You may wind up with three problems; 1 bogging, 2 no fuel filter, 3 clogged fuel injector nozzle.

Maybe this will help:

InfernoST may have you on the right track. Try STVA in the proper subforum search.

Hope this all helps. Happy Motoring.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Once you punched out the screen in your fuel pump, you pretty much committed to "doing the mod"

Reactions: Dave_J
1 - 11 of 11 Posts