Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much petrol (gas) have you got when the fuel pump icon and the last bar start flashing? And is this a first warning that you need to fill up or is there another warning like just the fuel pump icon flashing. :?:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lennon said:
How much petrol (gas) have you got when the fuel pump icon and the last bar start flashing? And is this a first warning that you need to fill up or is there another warning like just the fuel pump icon flashing. :?:
Read this on the forum...

1st warning the fuel pump icon flashes... 1.2 gallons
2nd warning the first bar flashes... 0.8 gallons
3rd warning both the first bar and the fuel icon flashes... 0.4 gallons
Last warning... You on the side of the road...:)

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
On my 2011 I don't seem to get three warnings.
Mine goes straight to first bar and fuel pump flashing together, and seems to occur with about 1.3 gallons left.

This usually occurs (in commute, town, riding) at around 102 - 117mles.

Now bearing in mind that there is a four gallon tank, it seems kinda strange to be giving me low fuel warnings before I get down to 1/4 full!!! :?

If my SUV did that, I'd still have about six gallons on board when I got a low level warning.

But I guess an early warning is better than running out.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
You should get two warnings. When the tank gets down to 0.8 of a gallon the pump symbol should start flashing. When the tank gets down to about 0.4 gallon then the last bar should start flickering along with the pump symbol.

I generally figure that when I am down to the last bar with nothing flashing I can go about 60 miles. When the pump symbol starts flashing but the last bar is still solid I can go about another 40 miles. When they both are flashing I know that at most I can only go about 20 miles so I better find a gas station soon.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Fuel gauges vary in "accuracy", so it's best to learn to 'read' the gauge on your own bike by filling up when a) solid last bar & icon starts flashing, and b) flashing last bar & icon.

You're in S. Africa so you're operating in litres.
Tank is 15 litres.
On my '09 650, a) = 5 litres remaining, b) = 2 litres remaining.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Why wait till anything is flashing that you are almost out of fuel.????????? Fill up when 1/4 tank is indicate - That is what I do to be on the safe side INSTEAD of on the side of the road.????? :?:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Checked my 2011 yesterday ... I normally fill up when the icon flashes and have about 1.2 gallon left... Yesterday I went further until both first bar and icon were flashing and had 0.8 gallons left...

Sorry about the miss information in my prior post...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Unless you have a partial fill-up at a gas stop there is little reason to worry about the machinations of the fuel guage. If you've ridden your scooter any length of time you have a good feel for its mileage. At each fill-up I reset my odometer and know at 50+ MPG I can safely reach 175 miles before looking for another gas station.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
born1928 said:
Unless you have a partial fill-up at a gas stop there is little reason to worry about the machinations of the fuel guage. If you've ridden your scooter any length of time you have a good feel for its mileage. At each fill-up I reset my odometer and know at 50+ MPG I can safely reach 175 miles before looking for another gas station.
Second fill-up with my new (used) 09 last bar was flashing with the gas pump. Started at 148 miles went to 167.9 miles & put in 3.07 gal. So I would say 175 miles would be the no panic max for me also showing 50+ mpg. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts