Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the fuel gauge on my 400K3 doesn't appear to be very accurate - when I fill the tank I can see the gas in the filler, and the gauge reads full. Within about 10 miles the needle is down off the F mark, and drops pretty quickly. Right now it's got about 60 miles on this tank, and the gauge shows below 1/2 tank. When I filled it up last, the needle was just below the red zone, and it took 2. 48 gallons to fill. It's also real slow to register when I start it up - it'll take several minutes to come up off the E mark - even when the tank is full.

Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my sending unit? I'm learning to simply fill up based on mileage showing on the trip odo instead of looking at the gauge.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My 2003 400 is the same way, Alan. I've read several accounts at the inaccuracy of the gas guage. I'm just glad it's this way and not the other way, I'd hate to run out of gas with the needle showing I still have more to go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 2005 400 seems to be fine. I just filled this morning and put 2.1 gal in. The gauge was registering 1/4 left. It is possible that with age they start to fail.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Alan_Hepburn wrote (snipped)
I've noticed that the fuel gauge on my 400K3 doesn't appear to be very accurate - when I fill the tank I can see the gas in the filler, and the gauge reads full. Within about 10 miles the needle is down off the F mark, and drops pretty quickly.
A gas gage can never be 100% accurate 100% of the time, the reason is because manufactures have to design the tank to fit the bike.
The 400 tank is almost square, but tapers off near the top. So the gas goes down faster until it reaches the widest point then the gage become stable and accurate.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Alan, my 2005 is the same. On startup the needle rises very slowly. For the longest time it stays on "F" then soon after it starts to go down, it drops very quickly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Stargazer said

Alan, my 2005 is the same. On startup the needle rises very slowly. For the longest time it stays on "F" then soon after it starts to go down, it drops very quickly.
My 2005 does the same, also when the gauge reads empty I still have about 4 litres in the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just measure How far i have ridden as my gauge, works best :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
My 05 400 was on the peg, not moving, nadda, zip, ( covering the top of the E ) and would only hold 2.9 gal. yesterday. The book says 3.4 including reserve. All the reserve is well below the E. I think I'll throw the gas can in the box and drive down the road (with a nice shoulder to pull to) until it quits. Is there a fuel filter to plug when I drag all the crap from the bottom of the tank to the engine?
T-Ricky

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The gas gauge on my Burgman 650 works exactly like the one on my Suzuki V-Strom 1000 did. They are accurate from the standpoint of being consistent. They are not linear in their progression from full to empty (each subsequent bar seems to disappear quicker than the last). They show the flashing fuel pump icon when you still have about a gallon of fuel left. I would assume that the gauge on the 400 performs the same way.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I recommend reading the link that billmeek refered you to. The most important thing in that thread was the fact that he ran it all the way down and it took almost full capacity, which means it does "empty the tank."

I remember the Helix used to light up the last bar "red" when it got down, then it would flash a while later. I tried to run it empty and had it flashing for about 25 miles and pulled into a station. I never did run it out.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
pauljo said:
They are not linear in their progression from full to empty (each subsequent bar seems to disappear quicker than the last).
You know, I always wondered why they didn't do this on fuel gages: Instead of having nice, regularly-spaced hash marks between E and F, why not put the hash marks at the places where the tank is 100%, 75%, 50%, and 25% full? On the gage it wouldn't be symmetric, but would accurately reflect the amount of fuel.

Of course, motorcycle spedometers seem to always be 10% off, so I know I'm asking for WAY too much. :roll:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The most miles I have put on a tank since running it dry is 159.0 on the trip home from Deals Gap and it took 2.559 gallons of fuel. I would have filled up a bit sooner but didn't see any gas stations for the last 25 miles. With normal riding I know I can ride further ... but after pushing the bike I'll not risk it. :wink:

·
Registered
553 Posts
mine does the same thing

pauljo said:
They are accurate from the standpoint of being consistent. . I would assume that the gauge on the 400 performs the same way.
The 400 does pretty much the same thing. On the 400 I have figured that I may ride 160 at most before refueling, to be safe so the marks on the gauge represent (to me) half tank mark = 80 miles. Each mark above or below that represents 20 mile increments. Full tank 160 miles. That way I can look at the fuel gauge and know about how many miles I have left untill I reach that 160 mark. I also reset the A trip meter each time I fill up for an even more precise reading, but when you are reading the odo or trip B then a quick glance at he fuel gauge will do the trick. :wink:

Oh and yes it takes a few minutes for the gauge to respond.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts