Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking obout changing the fuel filter on my 2005 650AN for general precaution. When I looked in the service manual it shows a fuel filter screen located in with the fuel pump in the tank. Really? Surely there is an in line fuel filter? Where would it be located?

·
Administrator
18,760 Posts
No in line filter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No in line filter.
Well I am going to install one ASAP, it's ridiculous not have have a $5.00 fuel filter easily accessible. I'll call it a "pre-fuel filter" lol.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Well I am going to install one ASAP, it's ridiculous not have have a $5.00 fuel filter easily accessible. I'll call it a "pre-fuel filter" lol.
If you install an accessory $5 filter, your in-tank filter
will become your 'pre-fuel filter', & if it gets clogged-up,
you'll still have to get into the gas tank to fix the problem. :(

·
Registered
125 Posts
In-line fuel filters can be useful if you have dirty gasoline or rusty gas tanks,
but their installation usually increases fueling problems without any benefits for those of us with newer scooters and reliable gas stations.
It is much better to deal with top tier gas stations instead.

scoot safely,

Reactions: gec343

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you install an accessory $5 filter, your in-tank filter
will become your 'pre-fuel filter', & if it gets clogged-up,
you'll still have to get into the gas tank to fix the problem. :(
Thanks for the info, I understand. I hadn't thought it through. Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Question?

Would the best plan be to remove the in tank filter completely and not replace it. Then install an easily accessible in line filter?

Remember that the fuel injection is high pressure so make sure you have good clamps.

Blakers

·
Premium Member
14,259 Posts
Question?

Would the best plan be to remove the in tank filter completely and not replace it. Then install an easily accessible in line filter?

Remember that the fuel injection is high pressure so make sure you have good clamps.

Blakers
The tank filter catches trash before it enters the pump. If you take it out then that trash could damage the pump. Since the pump is in the tank an inline filter would be after the pump and would not protect it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You guys like the way your EFI bikes start up w/ authority the instant you push that happy button? You guys like how it idles w/ precision on very cold mornings, and how it just likes to rev happily up to redline, every single time? Well, that's not by accident. It's by design. Design by smart engineers.

Maximizing PSI is a big reason why all EFI systems on m/c have intank filters, and not inline. So, take a minute, step back a few feet, and let this sink in before you do something you'll regret.

Reactions: Mrchips

·
Registered
735 Posts
This is probably in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category. My 650 is stripped (tupperware repair and repaint) and the top of the fuel tank with the fuel pump/regulator/filter assembly is staring me in the face every time I walk by the bike. I'm resisting all temptation to open it up and "inspect" the filter. Also resisting temptation to open the CVT!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
...the fuel tank with the fuel pump/regulator/filter assembly is staring me in the face every time I walk by the bike. I'm resisting all temptation to open it up and "inspect" the filter. Also resisting temptation to open the CVT!
Had my 'well-experienced' scooter mechanic at my dealership
do a filter replacement on my 400...along with all the other
recommended '2-year' service work.
When it was all done, we had a looong talk....& both agreed...
don't mess with the in-the-tank filter unless you REALLY have to. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just rode my 09 an 650 for the first time today, started up real fine, idles fine but when underway it seems to have a slight hesitation when you apply a bit more throttle. It is like a short lag when accelerating. I purchased this from a dealer out of state in February and didn't get a chance to road test it at the time. I was about to investigate the fuel filter idea but this thread seems to indicate there isn't one. On page 7-10 of the service manual for a 2003 an 650 it says that if the fuel mesh is clogged with many pieces of contaminants replace the fuel filter cartridge. What gives?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
This is probably in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" category. My 650 is stripped (tupperware repair and repaint) and the top of the fuel tank with the fuel pump/regulator/filter assembly is staring me in the face every time I walk by the bike. I'm resisting all temptation to open it up and "inspect" the filter. Also resisting temptation to open the CVT!
My old Nissan Micro had an in-line fuel-filter and it was still sparkling clean after nearly 12 years. If I were you I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Unless you fill up at Mexican gas stations (literally or figuratively), I don't see modern gas being a problem. Even then, introducing a cheap in-line filter to the fuel system is probably a bad idea. Better to replace the actual tank filter first. Burg tanks are plastic, so no rust issues there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts