Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off all, I do not ride my Burgman 650 to get the best fuel millage, but after 11,000 milles, I made some interesting finds. For the first 5,000 milles i ran with regular 10W40 OEM oil in motor, CVT and 80W90 Castrol in the final drive. All that time i would fill with regular, keep my numbers and made and average mpg, i would run the bike for 3 tanks of regular.and 3 tank of high test, each time i'd get 2 more milles to the gallon with high octane,always ride the same road for commuting.The real good thing came when,I switched to all synthetic oils, on the spot got 3 more MPG, now this is personal,But for myself,I know that with the best stuff my Burgy give me peak economy and peak performance. I now average 50 mpg all the time.Just my 0.2 cents. JAYPE.

·
Registered
61 Posts
jaype said:
First off all, I do not ride my Burgman 650 to get the best fuel millage, but after 11,000 milles, I made some interesting finds. For the first 5,000 milles i ran with regular 10W40 OEM oil in motor, CVT and 80W90 Castrol in the final drive. All that time i would fill with regular, keep my numbers and made and average mpg, i would run the bike for 3 tanks of regular.and 3 tank of high test, each time i'd get 2 more milles to the gallon with high octane,always ride the same road for commuting.The real good thing came when,I switched to all synthetic oils, on the spot got 3 more MPG, now this is personal,But for myself,I know that with the best stuff my Burgy give me peak economy and peak performance. I now average 50 mpg all the time.Just my 0.2 cents. JAYPE.
Does that void the warranty? The book says 'SF' (and something else) grade oil. When I did my first oil change I was longing to get the synthetics, but opted to go with the manual. Another person said that synthetics might be too 'slippery' to the transmission. (heck if I know)

Anyway... Just so I am clear. You can use any 10W40 OEM synthetic oil in both the motor and transmission? If so, I might just go ahead and to a quick change again.

~Tom

·
Registered
201 Posts
kcburgman said:
jaype said:
Does that void the warranty? The book says 'SF' (and something else) grade oil. When I did my first oil change I was longing to get the synthetics, but opted to go with the manual. Another person said that synthetics might be too 'slippery' to the transmission. (heck if I know)

Anyway... Just so I am clear. You can use any 10W40 OEM synthetic oil in both the motor and transmission? If so, I might just go ahead and to a quick change again.

~Tom
You might try this link. It sheds light on all those codes present on oil bottles.

http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/ACF2AF.pdf

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
yup - me too. and interesting "drag factor" stats...

I am through taking gas mileage measurements. I ride it to save gas money but that aint WHY i bought it.

I knew this heavy pig was gonna be a gas hog...'specially with an auto gearbox ana heavy hand. I get about 47. a darn sight better than the 17 in my cage.

ciao.
me.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Let's put it in perspective. The new issue of Rider magazine has a roadtest on the new Triumph 650 4-cyl sport bike (the Daytona 650). Average mpg during their tests was..... 36.8 mpg. Fuel tank size is 4.5 gallons. That gives a range of about 160 miles on a tank. And that motorcycle is lighter and has a manual transmission...

The AN650 does not do so bad. :wink:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
You have to consider the source of that bad mileage, though. Every bike or car test ride/review seems to get 25% WORSE mileage than the worst us normal people seem to get. I don't know what the heck they're doing to those bikes/cars during those tests...

·
Registered
201 Posts
kcburgman said:
You might try this link. It sheds light on all those codes present on oil bottles.

http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/ACF2AF.pdf
Okay, now I am confused. That link says that 'SF' grade oil is obsolete and only used on engines prior to '88. Then why would it be suggested in the Burgman 650 '05 owners manual?[/quote]

The 'obsolete' remark is to state that those oil are no longer produced (in the US). If you find a bottle labeled 'SF', steer clear of it. Only use the latest API graded oils, namely 'SL' or 'SM'.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
frugality said:
You have to consider the source of that bad mileage, though. Every bike or car test ride/review seems to get 25% WORSE mileage than the worst us normal people seem to get. I don't know what the heck they're doing to those bikes/cars during those tests...
I think I do know! :twisted:

I noticed that Rider Magazine is not giving any acceleration times or top speeds in the "Performance" test results now, although they do post dyno run charts. Actually, I think that is responsible journalism. Maybe not as entertaining....

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
kcburgman said:
...Does [using synthetics] void the warranty?
No. As long as the synthetics are a major brand they'll meet API (American Petroleum Institute) standards.

I wouldn't use synths during break-in, but after that you can use them without concern.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Synthetics Oils

Under very severe condition, I guessed you could not get a better protection for your engine, Years ago I switched all my motors to syntetics. I am a little bit lazy so i dont change oil to often, better put the best stuff. SALUT. Jaype

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've been using MX4T in all of my bikes (recent past too). It is a clear improvement over dino on the pure mcs. I assume so on the Burgman too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brian said:
kcburgman said:
...Does [using synthetics] void the warranty?
No. As long as the synthetics are a major brand they'll meet API (American Petroleum Institute) standards.

I wouldn't use synths during break-in, but after that you can use them without concern.
After 700 mi I should be okay, right? I got Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) 10W 40.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
kcburgman said:
After 700 mi I should be okay, right? I got Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) 10W 40.
I wouldn't go to synthetics at 700 mi. Your scooter is by no means fully broken in at that mileage, especially if you followed the conservative owner's manual break-in recommendations. Better to wait until the 4000 mile mark before going to synthetics.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I'm just using regualr fossil oil, but -- like Pauljo said -- if I were going to go to synthetics I'd probably do it at the 2nd service, not the 1st.

But this is too late now in your case, I assume. I don't think going to synths before your engine is fully broken-in will cause any major problems, but you might not get full compression and/or might get some oil blow-by. Again, I said "might" and I think it would be a minor problem if it happens at all.

I'm no mechanic, BTW, and I may be totally wrong. If you have any concerns I'd talk to your dealer's service department. (They may not know much about Burgmans specifically, but they should know M/C engines in general.)

·
Registered
520 Posts

~Tom
[/quote]

http://api-ep.api.org/filelibrary/ACF2AF.pdf[/quote]

I had my own Amsoil 10-40 synthetic installed in BOTH my motor and trans at the dealer at just 600 miles 1st service. NO problems. Amsoil website addresses all the "new bike" superstitions. Mike

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Pappy said:
I had my own Amsoil 10-40 synthetic installed in BOTH my motor and trans at the dealer at just 600 miles 1st service. NO problems. Amsoil website addresses all the "new bike" superstitions. Mike[/b][/i]
Well, with all due respect, one might not want to look for information on the site of an oil processor/distributior. :wink:

Personally, I'd prefer advice from a more objective source.

Your mileage may vary,

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ken OBSC said:
Pappy said:
I had my own Amsoil 10-40 synthetic installed in BOTH my motor and trans at the dealer at just 600 miles 1st service. NO problems. Amsoil website addresses all the "new bike" superstitions. Mike[/b][/i]
Well, with all due respect, one might not want to look for information on the site of an oil processor/distributior. :wink:

Personally, I'd prefer advice from a more objective source.

Your mileage may vary,
So true, but I also base it on over 12 years of use on ALL my motor vehicles....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts