Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pondering the purchase of an AN650 but would like to know the answers to questions the dealers can answer only vaguely, if at all.

In conservative driving, what kind of gas mileage is attainable?

Is there adequate storage space for essential gear for one person for 2-3 day relaxed touring? Recommendations?

I'm 6'1", 225#, fit. Lots seem to replace the seat and windshield. Will I probably need to do so too? Is this expensive?

I saw somewhere on the forum that 2005 650's are quoted at (I believe I read) $6750 in Florida. Do prices vary countrywide? Locally its $7799 firm.

Any suggestions in negotiating with dealers? Thanx!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ok, I'll give it a go:

1. mileage 45 to 52

2 storage. marginal without an extra duffel or topcase. The key is your riding outfit and where yo wish to store your helmet when stopped..

3. I'm 6' 185 lbs. I have the corbin. Clearly an improvement for legroom and comfort. I just installed my xl clearview with vent. Haven't ridden with it yet.

4. As you read posts, you will find prices vary throughout regions. Try negotiating.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Deltasix welcome,

This is in my case I'm 6'-2", 190#

Mileage 45-52, Average 49 riding 95% 2-up.

Me and my wife went 6 days, around the state, covering about 1,200 miles.
I bought some soft saddlebags for about $100, and a hump bag for about $75 that had more than enough room for all our stuff. We did motel ea. night. Riding Solo, you might be a bit tight in space if you buy nothing. The underseat storage is very good, but it's not a suitcase. You might be OK with just a hump bag.

I did replace my windshield with a GIVI, for better protection. There are other good manufactures out there as well. Cost about $125

The Seat: I decided to modify mine, by shaving foam here and adding foam there and installing 2-Gel Pads Total Cost about $150 ($70 ea for the gel pads) If you go the Corbin route, $400 +

I wouldn't recommend jumping to do anything untill you have ridden the bike a while, to see just what is really critical. Everyone is different, and many have simply left things the way they were, and it works out fine. Others of us like to fiddlel around.

Price, well that varies, and I have heard prices from 6,800 - 8,000. I paid 7,000 for mine 2 years ago, and I was OK with that. I guess you have to ask yourself a few things,
Do you need a dealer that's close for support?
How much time are you loosing by agonizing about shopping?
I think the average price paid is about 7,500 plus tax. (standard model)

There are pictures available from many forum members, some have their link at the bottom of their posts (signature), or brouse around the Gallery.

For more specific topics, go to the search icon.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Deltasix. Glad to have you join us.

As for the 650 gas mileage, here's a thread with several figures:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3416

Those figures do not take into account the overdrive on the 2005 650.

If a sports dufflebag is enough for you for 2-3 days, the Burgman trunk is enough. You can always add more using a topbox, side bags, or strap a bad on the passenger seat if you need more room.

To replace the seat with a Corbin is expensive. You may like the seat the way it is and there is always other options than replacing the seat if you need more room. Some have just removed the butt stop and others have had the seat recovered. Replacing the windshield is not necessary but may make for a much more comfortable ride. Givi and Clearview make the 2 most popular shields for the 650.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The 650 seat for me is very comfortable. I don't think alot of people change this feature. However most people do change the windscreen, me included. I think I can be safe in saying that you will want to change this as well. This can be done for well less than $200. Member Brian did a 10 day solo trip and had sufficient room for his belongings.

BTW Welcome to the forums.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
My answer to your subject....

About 48ish mpg (between 44 and 51 with lots of WOT thrown in).

Storage space, I don't normally travel long distances. And I only have about 1800 miles on my Moonpie since last October. However, after seeing and knowing what this baby would haul I can say this. I am not a camping kind of guy so it's cheap motels for me when I do go. Given that being the case I am pretty sure that I could hold enough stuff under the seat and strapped to the passengers' seat to suit me just fine for a 3 day venture. A few skivz, some socks, this and that... Not to mention the three other compartments that I could stuff things into.

Pretty darn comfy - rides a bit hard imo, and the buttrest cramped my style. OBTW - I am 5 foot 11.5 barefoot and 197lbs.
Purchace $7100 with stuff added in.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Fuel economy, Gear storage space, Comfort, Purchase pric

Deltasix said:
In conservative driving, what kind of gas mileage is attainable?

Mid-forties to low fifties. There are many variables. Adding accessories that increase wind drag, like a large windscreen, will cost you a bit of mileage. The definition of "Conservative riding" varies from person to person. Hilly terrain can have an effect. High speed Interstate cruising when loaded for touring can have a big effect. My worse mileage was 38 mpg (loaded for touring and cruising at 80 mph). My best mileage was 51 & change. I typically get 46 to 48 mpg. I don't ride for mileage - I ride for fun. The tank that I topped 51 mpg on I WAS riding for best mileage as part of some tests I was conducting at the time.

Deltasix said:
Is there adequate storage space for essential gear for one person for 2-3 day relaxed touring? Recommendations?
How good are you at packing light? How many contingency items do you feel you need? (Do you feel more comfortable carrying a tire plug kit, portable air pump, extra tools, first aid kit, rain suit, bike cover, heated vest, etc.??) I have toured for a week. I have a large Givi top box and a hump bag to supplement the underseat storage. I do not camp out. I do not do laundry during the trip. The folks who are real good at packing light carry 1 spare set of underware, and wash one set out each night. I'm not that committed to traveling light. I do carry a lot of contingency items. Some folks could tour for 2-3 days with just the underseat trunk (even 2 up!). I couldn't. But if you need more storage, there are many ways to get that via accessories.

Deltasix said:
I'm 6'1", 225#, fit. Lots seem to replace the seat and windshield. Will I probably need to do so too? Is this expensive?
Replacing the windscreen is easy, and not that expensive. I am 6'6" and still have the stock seat. I removed the butt stop, and had the seat recovered. Removing the butt stop is free. A really nice professional re-cover job cost me $200. A Corbin seat will run $500+ . Try the scooter as is first. The stock seat is really pretty good compared to what you get on many other bikes.

Deltasix said:
Do prices vary countrywide?
Absolutely. And they often vary between dealers in the same state. If a dealer is local, does a good job at setting up the machine, and provides good service after the sale, that might be worth a couple of hundred more in price. Sometimes you get what you pay for - sometimes you don't. Sometimes you can work a package with additional gear thrown in (helmet, riding jacket, discount on extended warranty - it doesn't hurt to try). Sometimes a dealer will drop setup charges if pressed. Vehicle sales in the USA are, and always have been, a racket. The dealer wants to maximize profit - you want to minimize cost. But most dealers also want to make the sale. So some give and take should be expected if you work at it.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I would think that, if you are an experienced camper or motorcycle tourer and you can travel light, you'll probably have room under the seat. But, if you're like most of us and like to take a few "extras" and still be able to lock a helmet under the seat, a medium or large waterproof seat bag will probably be more than enough. These can be purchased for about $100 - $150, depending on size and quality.
I'm 6'-2" and added a Clearview XXL windshield (too tall - going to cut it down about 2") for about $200. The stock seat was roomy enough for me but I added a gel pad that greatly increased the comfort. Now I can ride all day without getting a sore or tender butt.
I've put a little over 4,000 miles on my 650 and the few times I've checked, I get just about 50 MPG.
Don

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I've been getting about 48MPG over the last 10 months. Less when I'm doing mostly short hops in town, and more when I do a lot of long, steady stretches. I got 51MPG several times in California on my trip to from Canada to Mexico last summer.

Trunk space (with stock seat) is 55 litres. I ride solo, and got 10 days' worth packed. 5 shirts, 3 slacks, 10 briefs, 10 pairs socks, 2 ties, 2 pair dress shoes, 2-piece rain suit, cold-weather jacket, toiletries, 1 quart oil, 1 litre water, 1 can Honda Cleaner/Polish all under the seat.

Currently my '03 650 is completely stock, except for a Throttle Rocker. I have a Vista Cruise, but never installed it, and I may get a taller windshield and possibly a Corbin seat, but I may just wait since I want to get a new 650 in '06 (hoping that the Exec will be available then).

For me, it's a great touring bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts