Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okey Dokey kids...im completely ffed up dealing with the locking fuel cap...who the hell would bother stealing 2 gallons of fuel outta my scoot when there is 20 gallons sitting in the truck parked next to it ! i would like to know if there is a suitable non-locking cap available on the market. wouldnt that be so much easier ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
john grinsel said:
Simple fix---have cheap key made----cut top so short-----leave in=no monkeying around when time to fuel-----

oh sure , just make it EASY...DOH ! ill pass, id rather search endlessly and try different kinds and spend too much ! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
I dont thinks its to do with stealing fuel that is the problem it was a problem once upon a time when mindless morons with nothing better to do put sugar in the fuel and you can guess the rest. Nowadays they have found it more fun to paint your front fence or the walls of the local train or shopping mall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
I don't mind it but I wish it was bit more like the gas tank on my last two motorcycles, They were much easier to pop back into place. I def. don't love it, but I also don't want to defeat the security of it just because as mentioned, you don't know who might dump something in there and ruin your fuel pump or worse your engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
Does the newer model 400 work with the Honda Civic gas cap? I got one of those from a junkyard for $5. I have to hand it to John; the $2 Walmart key on permanent assignment to the gas cap is cheaper. But I think I'd worry about someone figuring out that it was a key that could run the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you guys do know that sugar just dissolves...dont you ? its likely not to do a **** thing other than possibly clogging a fuel filter or ruining the fuel. its just not liklely to hurt the motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
As far as cutting the key flush, don't you have to turn it one way or the other to get the cap off? How can you turn, or twist the key if it's cut flush?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike337 said:
As far as cutting the key flush, don't you have to turn it one way or the other to get the cap off? How can you turn, or twist the key if it's cut flush?
valid point...im thinking, insert key, turn it to unlock position, remove cap and trim key as close to top of cap as possible and leave it like that. THEN, maybe pour a few drops of super glue down inside very carefully to secure the key permanently.

anyone see a problem with doing it this way ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
nitrogary said:
you guys do know that sugar just dissolves...dont you ? its likely not to do a **** thing other than possibly clogging a fuel filter or ruining the fuel. its just not liklely to hurt the motor.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

Even so, I don't like the idea of having to drop the tank for cleaning, and possibly replacing fuel filter and injectors over the 5 seconds it takes me to unlock and relock the fuel cap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Scotty1981 said:
nitrogary said:
you guys do know that sugar just dissolves...dont you ? its likely not to do a **** thing other than possibly clogging a fuel filter or ruining the fuel. its just not liklely to hurt the motor.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

Even so, I don't like the idea of having to drop the tank for cleaning, and possibly replacing fuel filter and injectors over the 5 seconds it takes me to unlock and relock the fuel cap.
And if the fuel is 'ruined' guess what that's going to ruin?
Even with my snowmobile and quads, if I leave them overnight someplace that I don't trust, I duct tape the cap. It won't keep anyone out, but I'll know if someone was in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
I did the cut-key thing in for my gas cap in my Honda Silverwing. Worked great. I placed a smiley face sticker over the key as well. I cut the key just a hair longer so I could pull it out with needle nose pliers if needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its done...put in the cheap key, turned it to the open position, cut it flush and noticed that when i tightened it up on the scooter, the cylinder rotated and it wasnt in the open position anymore. so now im thinking how hard will this be to get off now ? tuens out, i could easily use my thumb to press down over the key hole and rotate the lock cylinder back to the open position. kinda counter productive so i placed a drop of super glue on the edge of the lock cyclinder to keep it in the open position....Joila...it appears to have accomplished what i needed it to do FOR ME ! now i can remove the cap quickly and easily.

thanks for the advice folks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
I did not mean to cut key flush----just a little shorter so it does not touch door. Second, I am into riding, not worrying about sugar/theft, etc. Somebody steals my bike=ok, collect insurance, try something else------in 57 years of riding North America and as far down as CentralAmerica and Alaska/Europe (20 yrs worth) Japan and Korea(20 yrs)-----never bike stolen or Helmet---1959 lost torn leather jacket I was using as blanket for nap in Italy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
john grinsel said:
I did not mean to cut key flush----just a little shorter so it does not touch door. Second, I am into riding, not worrying about sugar/theft, etc. Somebody steals my bike=ok, collect insurance, try something else------in 57 years of riding North America and as far down as CentralAmerica and Alaska/Europe (20 yrs worth) Japan and Korea(20 yrs)-----never bike stolen or Helmet---1959 lost torn leather jacket I was using as blanket for nap in Italy.

like you, I am not worried about someone getting into my gas...i did, in fact, cut my key flush as i did not want the key removed and my scoot started
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
john grinsel said:
I did not mean to cut key flush----just a little shorter so it does not touch door. Second, I am into riding, not worrying about sugar/theft, etc. Somebody steals my bike=ok, collect insurance, try something else------in 57 years of riding North America and as far down as CentralAmerica and Alaska/Europe (20 yrs worth) Japan and Korea(20 yrs)-----never bike stolen or Helmet---1959 lost torn leather jacket I was using as blanket for nap in Italy.

If they stole your bike with a key you left on the bike though, I would worry the ins. comp. wouldn't pay out on that claim since you provided an easy way for them to start it up. Granted odds are slim a thief would know to check the gas cap but I wouldn't want to take ANY unnecesary chances.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
445 Posts
I don't understand..... :?

I haven't has any trouble at all with the gas cap since about 3 months or so after I bought the Burgman. I finally noticed that here's an arrow on the cap and as long as you point it in the right direction it's easier to put on than a standard twist on cap.

To help you learn how to which way to point the arrow there's a corresponding arrow on the Tupperware. Line them up and away you go. After just a few tries you remember where the arrow points. At yourself, more or less.

 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top