Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an instance with my sym scooter

a place I stop at on the way home to fill gas, since its cheapest there. ill even fill if the tank is 60% full.

I come to open the cap without any worry or hesitation and there was a strong nonstopping PSHHHH sound and a boiling sound and fuel shot out like a geyser. not a squirt, but a volocanic eruption kind of picture. shooting up in the air 2-3 feet from the tank. 1-2 seconds of freezing up and then I grapped the cap and pushed it down.

fuel everywhere and a puddle on the floor. that was scary. I was certain it would explode or ignite. I think I got out lucky.

this video is what happened to me.
at 1:40 you can see it wants to shoot out. he caught his, I removed the cap not even knowing something like this can happen. be aware and turn your cap slowly.

a week later I was driving around doing errands and the bike just did not want to cooperate. it would start sputtering on the highway. so I thought I might have a dirty particle in the line that clogged it up and thought some new fuel may help. the PSHHH sound again. this time I opened it slowly. and it stopped after 2 seconds. bike ran fine right after refueling and driving on.

after my errands I drove home and on the way, the sputtering again. I could not accelerate without it choking and not wanting to continue. my hunch was to open the cap. pulled over, opened the cap a bit, closed and drove on like nothing happened.

not sure how to check if the cap is venting or the venting tube is bad.

can I drill a tiny hole in the cap? maybe a stupid thing but taking apart this behemoth is not on my priority list as im packing to move and wedding season is starting very soon. its not the burgman where I know how to take it apart really quickly.

2 things.
1-I used a very thin layer of white lithium grease on the cap rubber gasket and the locking teeth so it wouldnt have so much friction when closing. maybe a stupid move.
2-the geyser incident happened specifically on a tank of gas where I used some fuel injector cleaner inside. I used the proportional amount in the instructions to the size of my tank capacity. maybe that added more fumes to the situation?

cheers. enjoy your weekend.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There should be a breather pipe from the fuel tank it may be blocked. If it is it will create a vacuum as the fuel level drops. It also allows the fuel to expand in the tank which was likely under pressure when you removed the cap. Check the breather pipe and check your gas cap as it may have a pressure release valve in it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much friend, I will check.

much appreciated

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome back s-steel I should mention your engine heat will also have likely heated the petrol which will make it expand quite a bit so when you took the cap off it had only one way to go and that's up

·
Administrator
20,656 Posts
I had a 1965 Dodge Dart V8 (273 ci - 4.7L) that I had a muffler shop make dual exhust pipes around the gas tank and rear axle. The new pipes were so tight to the gas tank it would boil the gas. If I did a max fill it would push gas out of the carbrator and flood the engine. If you removed the gas cap fast the rushing hot gas would geyser out and burn your hand and arm.

I had to remove the pipes, then drop the gas tank and put large dents in the tank where the pipes hit. Then I put 'Welders' asbestos-fiberglass sheets around the pipes near the gas tank.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I had a 1965 Dodge Dart V8 (273 ci - 4.7L) that I had a muffler shop make dual exhust pipes around the gas tank and rear axle. The new pipes were so tight to the gas tank it would boil the gas. If I did a max fill it would push gas out of the carbrator and flood the engine. If you removed the gas cap fast the rushing hot gas would geyser out and burn your hand and arm.

I had to remove the pipes, then drop the gas tank and put large dents in the tank where the pipes hit. Then I put 'Welders' asbestos-fiberglass sheets around the pipes near the gas tank.
boiling gas asbestos fibres crashing burgmans you've been a busy boy DaveJ down down my man 😁

·
Administrator
20,656 Posts
boiling gas, asbestos fibres, crashing burgmans you've been a busy boy DaveJ down down my man 😁
I have had a full fun life.

Worked Woodstock at 15 years old on a fake ID. ;)

Joined the US Army during Vietnam at 17 years old. We were on communications support of the pullout of Siagon in April 1975 when the Airforce C-5 crashed short of the runway. I was about 2 miles away. We had to go help put in communications for the investigation teams. We left three days later.

Jumped from a C-141 on my 18th birthday. I tried to keep my birthday quite but my First Sergent had cake and ice cream in the landing zone (LZ). I was the last soldier to land and did not know what was up till everyone attacked me on the LZ.

November 1978 I was on the communication team that flew to the Jonestown massacre in Guyana South America. It was a mass murder-suicide of the Peoples Temple cult at the behest of their leader, Jim Jones. While I was not working inside the camp, we ran telephone lines and managed a switchboard within 1/4 mile of the camp and that smell you will never forget.

1979 was at Wichita Falls Texas when the "Terrible Teusday" tornado ripped thru the area.

Between 1984 and 1998 I road raced and drag raced motorcycles and cars. I have been at 208 MPH at 8 seconds on two wheels. I have been over 150 MPH in the 1/4 mile sooo many times on 2 wheels. I have been over 175 MPH in a race car sooo many times.

Crashes....
1977 hit a 400 pound elk doing 65 MPH, broke the windshield and exploded the guts inside the car. Car was totaled but I was OK.

1979 had a large bird crash into the windshield of a Cessna 172. It knocked the pilot out and I had to land on a highway near a farm house to call for an ambulance.

1982 had a Northwest Airline 737 crash the right wing tip into the ground on landing in Minneapolis.

1983 crashed my 1978 Suzuki GS750 on the German Autobahn. I was doing around 130 MPH when a slow car pulled out in front of me. I got the bike down to around 85 MPH when I low-sided it. Bike hit the car, I slid 500+ feet and stopped laying on my back in the Autobahn's fast lane, rolled to the shoulder just in time for 4 cars to go past at high speed.

2009 crashed my 1981 Goldwing.
2010 crashed my 2008 Burgman 650
2015 crashed my second 2008 Burgman

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Dave_J said :

November 1978 I was on the communication team that flew to the Jonestown massacre in Guyana South America. Itwas a mass murder-suicide of the Peoples Temple cult at the behest of their leader, Jim Jones. While I was not working inside the camp, we ran telephone lines and managed a switchboard within 1/4 mile of the camp and that smell you will never forget.

I’d rather had drank the Harry Buffalo at Woodstock ☮

Reactions: s-steel

·
Administrator
20,656 Posts
I think they got their math wrong.

• 1/5 part gin
  • 1/5 part high proof rum
  • 1/5 part tequila
  • 1/5 part vodka
  • 1/5 part whisky (whiskey bourbon…)
  • 1/5 part fruit
This adds up to 6/5ths most times. But who cares after 3 cup full.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Davej said he served the USA I served the UK
We both loved and lossed in combat respect to our brothers and to all those who lost comrades.

However as a squaddie I have a warped sense of humour, as do US marines US army etc so if you can fight the viet cong, south american gun
runners drug runners pan American state drug runners and escape unscathed how the hell can you not ride a big scooter and not crash

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The early Yamaha FJR1300's had a heat issue where the gas in the tanks would start to boil under certain conditions. They added insulation between the tank and the engine. Combination of a 1300 cc engine with a catalytic converter set to run lean for emissions makes for a great deal of heat.

·
Administrator
20,656 Posts
The Goldwings they added a steel shelf and wall so the radiator heat went down and sideways to keep heat off the fuel tank.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maccecht, thank you sir for the kind words. very nice of you. you have tons of expertise and I always read what you post here to absorb as much as I can. your help (and others here who always contribute) is always appreciated and never taken for granted. very high respect for those who served military. giving so much from yourself to others. I can only image the mental scars some carry.

Dave_J thank you sir too. "then I put 'Welders' asbestos-fiberglass sheets" I think this will be something I will have to do before it really gets to summer weather. add some heat resistant or deflecting material to the tank. I didnt know something like this could happen. that list...you have been through a lot in your life. definitely interesting. a book worth to read for sure. your home is lovely. seems like a tranquil place. thanks for sharing!

as you and Fester have mentioned, its something I must deal with. it could be bad design and bad insulation. it scared the bejezus out of me. but I will check the cap more closely and the breather once I get plastics off.

1/5 but 6 parts. I remember when I was younger I worked in a restaurant. the waitress asked the desserts guy to make her a milkshake 1/2 vanilla 1/2 mocha and 1/2 chocolate ice cream. till now I laugh.

thank you all for your assistance . always a pleasure.

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
So whatcha find S? Breather kinked?
Mouse Luau under the tank?
I'd think if it was an endemic issue in the model(unspecified) it'd be noted elsewhere on the interwebs.

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,056 Posts
I have an instance with my sym scooter

a place I stop at on the way home to fill gas, since its cheapest there. ill even fill if the tank is 60% full.

I come to open the cap without any worry or hesitation and there was a strong nonstopping PSHHHH sound and a boiling sound and fuel shot out like a geyser. not a squirt, but a volocanic eruption kind of picture. shooting up in the air 2-3 feet from the tank. 1-2 seconds of freezing up and then I grapped the cap and pushed it down.

fuel everywhere and a puddle on the floor. that was scary. I was certain it would explode or ignite. I think I got out lucky.

this video is what happened to me.
at 1:40 you can see it wants to shoot out. he caught his, I removed the cap not even knowing something like this can happen. be aware and turn your cap slowly.

a week later I was driving around doing errands and the bike just did not want to cooperate. it would start sputtering on the highway. so I thought I might have a dirty particle in the line that clogged it up and thought some new fuel may help. the PSHHH sound again. this time I opened it slowly. and it stopped after 2 seconds. bike ran fine right after refueling and driving on.

after my errands I drove home and on the way, the sputtering again. I could not accelerate without it choking and not wanting to continue. my hunch was to open the cap. pulled over, opened the cap a bit, closed and drove on like nothing happened.

not sure how to check if the cap is venting or the venting tube is bad.

can I drill a tiny hole in the cap? maybe a stupid thing but taking apart this behemoth is not on my priority list as im packing to move and wedding season is starting very soon. its not the burgman where I know how to take it apart really quickly.

2 things.
1-I used a very thin layer of white lithium grease on the cap rubber gasket and the locking teeth so it wouldnt have so much friction when closing. maybe a stupid move.
2-the geyser incident happened specifically on a tank of gas where I used some fuel injector cleaner inside. I used the proportional amount in the instructions to the size of my tank capacity. maybe that added more fumes to the situation?

cheers. enjoy your weekend.
Come on man, Burgman or a wedding??? Get your priorities straight, the Burgman ALWAYS comes first!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Tromper whats up buddy! I didnt get a chance to look. it will wait till tuesday. I have a feeling it may be a kinked tube. I ordered some reflecting material/sticker so will install that. you G-Dub and I have an hd200. you enjoy the scooter?

@kwajman yes, I love my burgman. covid threw a monkey wrench in any plan. photographing a wedding, to make money and get myself back to normal. as much as possible. back to my career is good for me. pocket and mental wellness.

Im still trying to find some used parts for the engine. id like to get a new cylinder as well. old one had a lot of miles on it. not sure how the nikisil coating is. so if im going to do it, better to invest and do it right. will also replace crank bearings. looking for a complete (used) cylinder head and stva unit. after summer when ill get money from weddings, I will get things moving along. thanks buddy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts