Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any FRS/GMRS radios with a bluetooth option to connect to a bluetooth headset?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've not seen any with Bluetooth. I use the Midland GMRS type because of the types of headsets Midland offers. I have the headsets that work like the one's security people use. The ear piece also picks up the audio when you speak. It can ether be operated as a VOX or PTT mode. Midland also makes two helmet mounted types of headsets. One is made for an open face helmet and the other is made for a full face helmet. I normally use a police style ½ helmet and neither Midland helmet models will work with it. I sometimes use my earset while hunting and having it set in VOX mode works really good for hands free operation. On the in the ear model I have the PTT switch has enough slack to clip about any place on your upper body.

Here's the links to the different models of headsets that is easy to use on scooters and motorcycles. The prices listed in the links are for a pair of headsets. I've been using the one in the first link for over a year with good results. It doesn't work very good with a full faced helmet, though. The helmet's padding along the neck area pinches the air tube of the ear piece and causes some audio problems. This has happened when I loaned my spare FRS/GMRS radio and headset to people on rides that used full faced helmets. The proper model works very well with a full faced helmet.

This is the model of headset I use.
http://www.midlandradio.com/Two-Way-Rad ... NX9/AVP-H3

This is for use with open face helmets.
http://www.midlandradio.com/Two-Way-Rad ... NX9/AVP-H1

This is the model for full faced helmets.
http://www.midlandradio.com/Two-Way-Rad ... NX9/AVP-H2

Good luck trying to find a Bluetooth model
&
Happy Scøøterïng!
rtÅnïmal

·
Registered
966 Posts
I also ordered the headsets for my Midland radios and then sent them back. The reason was they were for the left ear and I'm 80% deaf in that ear. I have the Scala units with stereo input that is muted when the reception from my Bluetooth phone is ringing. simple connection between Midland radio and Scala. But, the Scala is also bike to bike within 500 yards and that is good for me. A word of caution. Using a Midland GMRS radio, is not free on all channels. Read your manual. A range of channels requires a license. On mine it is 1-7 and 15-22.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rtAnimal,

Are those speakers stereo?

Terry,

If some of the channels don't require a license, why get a license?

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
asolof said:
rtAnimal,

Terry,

If some of the channels don't require a license, why get a license?
several reasons, but basically, you are legally limited in transmit power and usable channels without a license. If you just want to talk to
someone 1/2 mile away, FRS is fine, but you'll want to be able to use GMRS repeaters if you plan to do something on a bigger scale. The license costs $85 for 5 years and covers a person and their immediate family. Pretty cheap and there is no exam like with amateur radio -- al you have to do is file some paperwork, but some people use GMRS illegally anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Arnold,

What is the purpose you intend to use the radios for? If it is for talking B2B (bike to bike) then I may have a better solution for you.

Me and my riding mate have Cellular Interphone headsets (I think they are marketed under the BlueAnt name in the States). Riding at speeds below 60mph we have had good comms up to 400 yds between us. If we get separated then a press of a button allows us to use mobile phones to contact each other via thew headset - you could do it whilst riding but if I need to use the phone I stop. (Obviously mobile phones will give you a far greater range then radios). (In EU we can only use PMR radios which have a range of about two miles (line of sight), good when stood still or walking but tried them on the bikes and useless when moving (even at very short distances between riders).
If you want to know more then check this link -
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... tercom.htm

Expensive but they work.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tb2

I currently have the IMC Camos BHS-600 installed in my helmet and use it mostly with my mp3 player via bluetooth. It also works with my att tilt 2 cellphone. It has good stereo sound. I'm looking for B2B communication options during the upcoming west coast trip. I have a pair of frs/gmrs radios I used for other purposes in the past, but they don't have bluetooth or a headphone jack and the Camos headset doesn't have a 1/8" plug connector either. I'm also debating whether a push to talk handlebar mounted setup is better or worse than a VOX setup. I also wonder if you can mount 2 headsets in one helmet if necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Arnold,

PTT far better than Vox IMHO.

As I understand it the FRS radios you can use in the States have a far better range than the PMR ones we can use here. FRS radios are illegal over here and using then gets a stiff rap on the knuckles from the authorities. I think PMR stuff is illegal to use over where you are so no swapping of ideas and equipment information unfortunately.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Arnold,

I've had a hunt around the websites on this side of the pond.
Whilst this is PMR (so no good to you) at least it shows that there is something out there that halfway meets your needs, so possibly a FRS alternative is made.
http://midland-uk.com/midland-g8-bt-blu ... radio.html

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tb2,

<<so possibly a FRS alternative is made>>

That's the idea. Gettting warmer ...

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Arnold,

The Bluetooth Transmitter - the ones I have / know are for receiving signals only, not for sending.

I'll keep looking.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Arnold,

I think I have found the solution.

The Albrecht BPA100 device with allow you to connect wirelessly between your headset and a radio. I assume Midland make FRS radios for use over the pond.
http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instr ... 00-NAVI-_E

I can only find a price in Euros (from Holland), and that was 90 euros. So two of those is 180 euros which is approx 240 dollars, if you buddy needs a headset then that is another 200 dollars (guess). I would suggest buying two BlueAnt Interphones and forget the FRS radios, just use mobile phones.

Planning and preparation just as much fun as the actual event, wouldn't you agree?

Hope the info is of use to you.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
asolof said:
rtAnimal,

No, they are just a mono earpiece. I've never seen any models of these types of radios with a stereo headset option.
Terry Dill

If you would click on the link that I listed in my previous post that states that it is the model I use. You will see that it CAN be used in which ever ear you choose. It picks up audio through your ear canal and the ear plug. It's not left or right specific! The section going up to the earpiece is a clear, soft, rubber like tube that is sealed. It uses air pressure changes to transmit sounds between the soft earpiece and it's micro-speaker/microphone. I believe that soft tubing would be properly called a soft audio capillary tube?

The other 2 models I listed a link for has a small speaker that you place/attach via Velcro on which ever side you prefer. The open face model has a microphone boom that attaches to the helmet. The closed ( full ) face model has a button microphone that attaches to the inside of the chin bar by velcro.

Midland has other models of headsets that are side specific but not the models I listed.

Sorry to ya'll about the delayed response but I've been somewhat busy the last few weeks.

Merry Christmas
&
Happy Scøøterïng!
rtÅnïmal

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's a bit pricey, but I've got to admit it's a really great idea and that review is certainly glowing. If you've already got an investment in a good system, this'd be a pretty cost-effective way to upgrade it rather than replace it with a bluetooth-enabled system you might not like as well.

Nice find, Gambit!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts