Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with the imulti-purpose i :?: gnition key freezing in the lock? (In 90 degree weather?)

I did. When gently turning off the bike last week, the lock froze in the 1 PM position, and the key could not be withdrawn. Result: Dead bike. Haul to dealer; a week lost until $184 lock mechanism came in; lower compartment lock re-keyed to match new key. (This time, NO problem with parts availability, but as expected, out of warranty!)

Just curious if this was an isolated case. No force whatever was used. Apparently, a pin dropped into the tumbler, and jammed it. I have yet to take it apart to see for sure. A cheaper repair may have been possible. It cost $316 total.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
As far as I know this is the first reporting of any such failure of the ignition switch. So with 2 years passed since its release I'm betting that it was an unfortunate isolated case.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just got my Burgman 650 on Saturday, and I don't have that problem. But I have noticed that the key is fussy. It frequently doesn't want to go in all the way. I'm talking about just 1/32" of 1/16". But that's enough to prevent the key from turning.

Anybody else experiencing this problem? (Maybe "problem" is too strong a word. How about "annoyance".)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I haven't had that problem yet, but I have noticed that the very long key has a tendency to bend slightly if you sit on it. I tend to carry mine in a back pocket of my jeans and I've had to straighten it at least once. I wonder if that might have something to do with this.

If you are having this problem, look at your key and see if it is perfectly straight - it would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
209 Posts
pauljo said:
... but I have noticed that the very long key has a tendency to bend slightly ...
That was the problem, a slight bend in the key. I took it down to the basement where I have a small anvil, gave it 3 good whacks with a hammer, and, voila, problem solved. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Budd,

My ignition barrel froze last weekend when I was camping out in -9 degree F temperatures. I was pretty annoyed as I am doing nothing that I haven't done previosuly on Hondas and I have never had this experience before.

I simply waited for the sun to raise before it defrosted at around 10 degress F, but I was left once again thinking that I was going to have to call out the road support technicians yet again... :cry: If only Suzuki were as thorough as Honda with their QA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts