Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual on the 650 Burgman does not say anything about not storing the bike for the winter where the temperature will go down to a certain degree. I know on some liquid displays, they will freeze and become useless at about -20 C. How about the Display on the Burgman? Mine is stored in an unheated garage and temp went down to -38C so far this winter. The battery is not in the bike so cannot check it out. Rusty.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Good question Rusty. Mine is stored inside but I am interested to hear the answer to this one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Insturment Display

I did some checking both in owners manual and the factory service manual but I came up with no mention of operating temp range or other info so I don't think this is a problem but i will keep checking and let you know if I find out one way or another.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
This would require some deep research to pin down.

But an inital trawl of one site reveals this:
Commercial Grade /Industrial Grade
Operating Temperature Range: 0 to +50C / -20 to +70C
Storage Temperature Range: -10 to +60C / -30 to +85C

from this
site

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Norman, but I don't like the numbers. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Should be fine. There are cars with the same type of display and they survive winter

·
Registered
58 Posts
WINTER STORAGE

HELLO
I have my 650 burg stored in an unheated garage in Ohio.
I have a auto-battery charger to the bike and a 60w light bulb
under the Burg with some sheets and or blankets to the floor
to keep the heat under the covers. Bulb is on 24--7.
L.SKI

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
L.SKULSKI wrote
I have my 650 burg stored in an unheated garage in Ohio.
I have a auto-battery charger to the bike and a 60w light bulb
under the Burg with some sheets and or blankets to the floor
to keep the heat under the covers. Bulb is on 24--7.
That would seem to solve any cold weather problems, I doubt if the temp. will drop below freezing under there. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Rusty, as Norman says, most components are designed to have a usable threshold of between -30 and 50 degrees C or so. Bulbs and engine oil included. You should be ok, but if you can put a strip heater or something in that garage, I would. My ignition barrel froze at – 23 degrees C a month ago, nearly leaving me stranded out in the mountains, even though components are supposed to be operable right down to -30 C. Lucky once the temperature got up to -15 C or so 90 minutes later, it seemed to thaw out.

I’d take some precautions if I were you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
793 Posts
..........fire and ice...........

Be sure to (at least once) insert a graphite tube into your ignition lock and give it an application of lube.
The Burgman keylock has a protective spring loaded cover that needs to be held open for the graphite to get in there.
The bottle of graphite lock lube that I picked up recently has too large of
a spout to simultaneously open the cover and inject graphite so a small flat headed screw driver is used for the cover opening.
I don't recommend liquid oil to be used because it can mix with dirt and moisture to do more bad than good, especially in freezing weather.

Our Burgy LCD speedometer panels are of such high quality that there is no need for items like a contrast control because the Denso panel
has temperature compensated integrated circuits (segment drive pulse width variation) and the backlighting of the panel warms things up.

At the very worst, expect sub-zero (F) temperatures to slightly lighten segment darkness, plus the liquid crystal segments will be
slow (fade to on or off) as the temperature compensation goes beyond range.

After a decade of summer/winter use, I would expect our Burgman LCD segments to vary in darkness with each other and some to quit altogether.
An engine fire would throw the electronics (including switches/buttons and display) into premature failure (months/years) if they hadn't been destroyed during the fire in the first place.

There is no factory installed fire sensor or manual fuel cutoff petcock in our Burgmans. This means that the electric fuel
pump could, under certain conditions, feed an engine fire that could melt the body, seat and metal frame in just a few minutes unless you
turn the key off (fuel pump off) to slow the fire down.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
rusty said:
...Mine is stored in an unheated garage and temp went down to -38C so far this winter. The battery is not in the bike so cannot check it out. Rusty.
You should be okay. Even in a detached garage the temp. inside shouldn't get nearly as low as the outside air temp, and if it's an attached garage so much the better.

The idea of putting a cover over the bike with an incandescent light or small heater is also a very good one just for extra peace of mind.

I hope everything works out okay when you reinstall the battery.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
My 650 is stored in an unheated garage. We've had plenty of really cold weather this month, including temps below 0° F. I do keep some lights on in the garage, so it stays a bit above outside temperature, but I know it has been in the teens or even single digits some of the time. I started my 650 Tuesday. The digital display worked fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts