Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a lovely 60 mile ride today on my 650 Burgman and when I went to get on the scoot to my amazement the front wheel bolt that holds the tire on had threaded itself out about 1inch! The next amazing thing was the
lock bolt that holds the wheel bolt from coming out was only finger tight. Somehow the lock bolt had loosened and let the wheel bolt to start threading itself out. I DON'T WANT TO THINK WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED if I had jumped on the scoot and tryed to ride the 60miles home with that condition?

Has any other members had this happen to them? My 2004 Burgman just turned over 2004 miles. My next question is I notice some grease spots on the front rim. Does this mean my bearing seals have been damaged by this condition? Never did the scoot seem to act funny before or after I tightened the bolt back up. I am really paranoid to drive it until the dealer checks it out. Calling him tommarrow first thing? Any help or suggestions is always grateful. I tryed to do a search on this subject but might have missed the problem or fix. Turned out to be a great ride and day and I am just glad I am home safe writing this note.

Thanks.......

Helix

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Helix said:
...I tryed to do a search on this subject but might have missed the problem or fix....
Try a search for "Pinch Bolt." I think this has happened to a few others, and it's something the dealer should check at every service, but especially the first service.

Glad you caught it when you did.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Helix, take it back to the dealer and ask them to inspect the front wheel bearings. I think the dealers install the front wheel when it is taken out of the crate. If they don't, they shoud have at least checked it. They should repair any problems.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Helix wrote
Took a lovely 60 mile ride today on my 650 Burgman and when I went to get on the scoot to my amazement the front wheel bolt that holds the tire on had threaded itself out about 1inch!
The most important lesson here is to always look over your scoot not just when you wash it.
Put a star in your win column for having seen it in time. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Randy - great advice - to examine your bike while washing it. I was washing and waxing my Burg this weekend when I noticed that one side of the "hump cover" was popped out. I just had the dealer do the 4000 mile service, so perhaps they didn't put it in correctly. Anyway, I then noticed that the plastic piece at the rear above the license plate (I think that's the best description) was very loose, and about to come off. I'd never have noticed it til I got somewhere and noticed it was gone.

Pissed me off and I'll make sure to do a full inspection prior to leaving the dealer next time after they do some service, and I'll NEVER buy a service plan from a dealer ever again. Ridiculous. Perhaps it "came loose on its own", but I doubt it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts