Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that my rear brakes seem to be 'touchier' compared to my front brakes. I realize that the front brakes have more stopping capability due to weight shift but when I apply the brakes individually, the rear brakes seem much more effective. Less effort on the lever results in far greater deceleration than similar effort on the front brakes.

I also notice that if I start braking by applying one set (front or rear) and then introduce the other during the slowing process, the rear brakes just seem more effective at stopping the Burg. I thought there might be some form of linking of the brakes, where using one lever (front or back) applies both sets of brakes in some predetermined proportion. That would explain the effect I'm seeing but I can find nothing that suggest this is how the Burgman brakes are designed.

It could also be a synergistic effect caused by the CVT and rear brake interaction.

It could also be that I'm nuts.

All, equally likely choices..

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
that's just waaay wrong if I were you and could choose an option i'd go with nuts, it's cheaper but maybe it's time to do some investigation in those front brakes

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I vote for the nuts option.
Physics dear boy, physics. :wink:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went out and did another 50 miles at lunch today, paying real close attention to what was 'really' going on.

I'm nuts.

The perception originated from the motorcycle transition. I was used to simply grabbing the left lever without consideration. And so my inclination was to just clamp down (even though I knew this was now a brake) harder than I realized. I was kind of hoping that the Burger had linked brakes and this was what I was seeing. But no. For those who chose - nuts - ding,ding,ding, we have a winner.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Sure nice you got ABS brakes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yep! You learn quick about the differences between a scoot and a standard motorcycle when you grab a handful of clutch (NOT!)
on your scooter. Have not done it since. Every time I get on one or the other, I set my mind on what I am about to ride. Just pay
attention! :cheers: Jim

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
For many years I rode a bicycle and believe it or not the brakes are the reverse of the scooter. I had no trouble with either until someone pointed that out to me.

No problem now, I ride just the scooter the bike does not have an engine. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
/\ I have ridden bicycles for decades. When I bought the Burger, noticed that its brakes are "backward" from bicycle brakes. :D
Was even going to put small stickers on the windshield, "REAR" on the left side and "FRONT" on the right, but got used to it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
All i know is that I always apply the rear brakes 1st.and gradually squeeze the front brake lever after.... I just don't like the "nose dive" when applying the front only.. :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think that one of the reasons they put front and rear brakes on these vehicles is that they should be used in unison. I use mine (front and rear) at the same time. I do not favor one or the other. My $.02 worth.

Bill

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chatman128 said:
I thought there might be some form of linking of the brakes, where using one lever (front or back) applies both sets of brakes in some predetermined proportion.
Reading the article recently posted (See: BMW scoot road test/Free online magazine) about the BMW Maxis in Spain, I noticed that the author mentioned that the Burg 400 has combinational brakes. So I went out on the web and looked again and sure enough I see mention of the combinational braking system sporadically throughout its history. I saw the feature specifically mentioned for model years 2003, 2007 and 2012. I'm assuming it holds true for the intervening years as well.

So, other than the fact I'm quoting myself, I just may not be nuts.

Then again...

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Can you provide the source for where you heard about the linked brakes on the 2012?

Chris

·
Premium Member
14,226 Posts
Chatman128 said:
Chatman128 said:
I thought there might be some form of linking of the brakes, where using one lever (front or back) applies both sets of brakes in some predetermined proportion.
Reading the article recently posted (See: BMW scoot road test/Free online magazine) about the BMW Maxis in Spain, I noticed that the author mentioned that the Burg 400 has combinational brakes. So I went out on the web and looked again and sure enough I see mention of the combinational braking system sporadically throughout its history. I saw the feature specifically mentioned for model years 2003, 2007 and 2012. I'm assuming it holds true for the intervening years as well.

So, other than the fact I'm quoting myself, I just may not be nuts.

Then again...
And then again maybe you are. The author in that article did not site what year 400 he was talking about. In the USA, the 400 from 2003 to 2006 had linked brakes. In other parts of the world where they sold it prior to 2003 I believe that was also true for earlier models but can't say for sure. When Suzuki did a redesign of the 400 in 2007 they did away with the linked brakes. So 400s built from 2007 forward do not have linked brakes.

That is easy to confirm on the non ABS models because you can follow the brake lines from the left master cylinder and see they only go to the rear wheel. It is a little harder on the ABS models because of the combined ABS valve module but if you look carefully at the lines going in and out of it you will see the same thing.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
You could also see if both brakes are applied when squeezing the left brake lever. A strap wrench will hold the brake lever while you check the rear.

Chris

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And so I went down at lunch and tried a simple test.

With the bike on the center stand, I applied the left brake handle lever, with gusto, and tried to rock the bike off the stand.

Unless there is some mechanism associated with ABS, the front brake is in no way connected to the left brake lever. This is somewhat borne out in the parts fiche. Once the Burgman went to dual front discs, the rear brake line got a lot simpler. Prior to the dual discs, there was a valve and an extra, unexplained, line associated with the rear brake. After dual discs, a single, simple, brake line.

I'll go and take a nap now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts