Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We planned a ride for today; wife on UH200 scooter and me on VTR250.
The scooter's front tire was flat. We had new tires installed with 45° Valve stems in early January.
I thought the tires were holding air, but I hadn't checked this month. So, I aired up the tire and we rode for a couple of hours.
After we got home and the scooter cooled off (We drank coffee on the Deck), I checked the air pressure and it was down about 1/2 psi.
The I pulled out a large round planter and we got it under the front wheel. Then filled the planter with water and checked for leaks.
No leaks, so we washed to front wheel & tire. It looks better. Now, I will have to watch that wheel's pressure more often.

The ride was good and it was nice to get out of the stay-at-home.

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
T.P.M.S! check your pressure EVERY ride!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Is it normal to loose 5-10 psi over a month ?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about the std. pressure loss. None before new tires and new valve stem.
Temperature changes mess with the pressure changes. No loss after 24 hrs today, but weather was warmer.

I started out with soap solution in a spray bottle but found no leaks, so I went to the submersion method which I have used in the past to find minor leaks along the rims. No leaks found. So, I will do a log of temperature and pressure each day or so, along with the rear tire pressure as a reference.

Is T.P.M.S. accurate enough for motorcycle tires ? I thought they were +/- 5 psi.

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
they will show a slow leak.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Is T.P.M.S. accurate enough for motorcycle tires ? I thought they were +/- 5 psi.
I have this one on one of the bikes and it is pretty accurate and works very well. As Mikey said, it doesn't have to be spot on anyway as you are monitoring changes. I know people use these on rubber stems with no ill effects, but I would only use them on metal stems. There is a danger that the additional weight on the stem during rotation could cause repeated flexing which could rupture the valve stem. I certainly wouldn't use them on angled rubber stems.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
I’m waiting for a tire change to install these

to use with this
a word of advice, and yes I know opinions are like an a%%ho*e we all have them and they all stink except our own, You are in Texas, the sun eats screens for breakfast and glare is a major problem making most stuff unreadable, plus sudden rainstorms and outbursts of cattle falling from tornado laden skies makes it difficult to weatherproof your stuff, water intrusion and screen failure were the biggest complaints I noticed when researching for mine, everyone solves their problems in their own way and that is fantastic,'t gonna what I did was take the reciever and throw it in the glove box, when I want to check pressure, stop, open glove box take it out, look at it and put it back, no weather problems, no glare, and no distractions when driving, Mine has an audible signal to for a slow leak but I can't hear a digereedoo if it's inside my helmet so ,,,, I have had 2 slow leaks since I got mine, both were slow enough I could get a warning before any danger on the road, as far as accuracy to a pound or two, your tire pressure changes by 3 or more pounds when riding so pinpoint accuracy just ain't!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked closely for a nail but found none.
The leak is about 1 psi per day.
Not sure how to find it.
Any ideas ?

Keep well

·
Premium Member
7,583 Posts
did you try a soap bubble over the valve stem?,soap around bead at rim, I have troiuble mixing that stuff so I just go buy bubble toy stuff at the kids store and after using it on the tires, give the cat a bit of exercise, and spill it on the carpet,

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll retry soap on the valve stem and the rim; using more soap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts