Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to buy a new front tire for my 08' Burgman 400. The last 2 tires i put on the front have cupped/scalloped, the original plus one. I will soon be on my third front tire. Has anyone found a tire that wont scallop? I would like to get 30,000 miles out of it if possible.
Any suggestions on a new tire or how to prevent it from happening again.
I run 25 psi. I'm not a hard aggressive rider. I weigh 180lbs. Hardly ever ride two up.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Doesn't Suzuki recommend 29psi for the front tire?
If so, then think 25 psi may be too low, and that could be the root cause of tire cupping

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If you had hoops for your 2 tires that is likely part of the scalloping issue. I know hoops have a big tendency to cup. At 20K my original font hoop was scalloped so bad that the bike would rattle at speeds below 45. I put 10K on a Michelin PP and did not notice any scalloping. Then I had a puncture and had to do an impromptu replacement. The only tire available at the dealer I used was a hoop. 20/20 hindsight, I should've plugged it (the puncture was tiny right in the bottom of one of the middle sipes) and ordered a Michelin PP. My next front tire will be another Michelin PP.

On the flip side, scalloping, to some extent is a normal part of motorcycle tire wear. You will always have some. You can lessen it by running higher pressure (or turning slower).

There are those who have had issues with this particular style of Michelin tire. If you do a search on Michelin Pilot Pure Sport you will have a chance to hear all sides.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
last 2 front tires have been Bridgestone Hoop. I'm running slightly higher tire pressure, maybe not enough.
Thanks for your input Chatman.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm pretty sure the front calls for 25 lbs. I spoke to a rep. at Bridgestone and he told me scalloping was cause by over inflation not under inflation. I would also recommend the Michelin Pilot Pure Sport but your not going to get 30,000 miles out of it, maybe 20,000.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I meant the Michelin Pilot Power Pure SC for the front. I plan on going to the darkside for the rear.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm pretty diligent about checking the air pressure on my bike tires, and I've found that, they just scallop, to some extent. I'm talking multiple bikes, different tires. And I've been riding long enough to notice that modern tires, although much stickier, smoother and better in the rain, seem to do it more.

And I agree with docjones, 30,000 miles on a bike tire is pretty unlikely.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I meant the Michelin Pilot Power Pure SC for the front. I plan on going to the darkside for the rear.
I just darksided mine and noticed a lot more stability with it. MPG has gone down less than 1.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Check your front wheel bearings, mine were worn some and causing my front tires to do this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While I have the front tire off to change I'm going to replace the brakes and the bearings. I wanted to do all this at the same time once i decide on a tire. Just got the parts in this week.

·
Registered
413 Posts
They may not feel bad riding, but when I took my wheel off they were falling apart. One side more than the other.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Check your front wheel bearings, mine were worn some and causing my front tires to do this.
I think you may have hit on something. I bought a used scooter that had the front tire scalloped and when I changed it I replaced the wheel bearings at the same time. That was the only time I ever had a tire scallop and never gave it another thought. But now you brought this up I think bearings probably do have a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
What amazed me is that riding on the scalloped front tire I never noticed the wheel bearings being bad. But they were really bad when he pulled them out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
This is the kit I had installed as the OEM ones are only sealed on 1 side and I was told are more prone to failure.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I get 20K miles front and 10K miles rear. both brands about the same. I'm currently at 12K on my front Hoop and have noticeable scalloping. I never noticed any scalloping on the Michelin but it also picked up a nail at 10K. The tread pattern on the Michelin PP would seem to give it less of a tendency to scallop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts