Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the subject line asks it all......

Is it possible to install air shocks on the front forks? I know there are rear air shocks. Seems this would allow to change the riding conditions at a moments notice, depending on road conditions or depending on who and what is on the bike.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
There are no fork air kits currently available to the best of my knowlege. Fournales, the French firm who makes the rear air shocks still does not have a USA distributor either to the best of my knowledge.

I've had air shocks (and forks) on other motorcycles. I am not a big fan. They can be very touchy to adjust because of the small air volume (compared to a tire). You have to use a special small hand pump to adjust them. A tire pump would blow out the seals. And you can loose a couple of psi pressure just by checking them with a gauge or removing the pump valve fitting. The air pressure is also susceptable to changes in outdoor temperature. And if the twin shocks in the rear do not have a crossover tube, you will never get them precisely equal in pressure. Major pain in the neck, has been my experience.

The possible exception is the Honda Goldwing which has an onboard air compressor for suspension adjustment. You can raise or lower pressure simply by pushing bottons on a dash console. That system should work pretty well, but I think I can safely say we'll never see it for the Burgmans.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
but I think I can safely say we'll never see it for the Burgmans.
That sounds like a 'challenge' to me. Wonder who's going to be the first to install ths mod? :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahahahaahaa,
See, that was the goal of my question....
How far would someone take it was the second.

I agree that the practical application of front-fork air shocks would be "tricky".

Ok, next question.... wondering how difficult it would be to install the kind of air shocks that the tricked out cars have that make them jump and hop all over the place. Would be like riding a bull down the road, I'd think. It would be a good way of "jumping" over obstacles in the road. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
i don't know about air shocks but this winter I'm going to take mine apart and cut an 1" maybe out of the spring and then add thinner oil. i have not made any decisions on the wt. of the oil it depends on the wt. in them already. 10 wt. or 5 wt. maybe.

the rear shocks are going to get some remove from the springs as well. i want the bike a bit lower.

at this time I'm running the tire pressure 5lbs lower in both tires, this helps quite a bit for me but when i hit one of those bumps that is from the expansion in the road the front takes a nice bounce, but after the lower tire pressure it is not as bad.

and for all of the riders that will tell me that the lower tire pressure is not good. i have done this to every bike i have had for 45 years and have never had on bit of trouble. yea the tire does wear a bit faster but i just like the extra rubber down on the road. plus a little bit softer ride.

i have almost 600 miles on the bike now and the little **** are still on the surface of the tire, so i can't be real bad.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It is 10 weight oil in the forks. We've had at least one member go to 15w, and another to 5w. I was considering a fork oil weight change until I started running a set of Pirelli radials. Now I don't see the need to do it. The Pirellis mute the bumps much better than the Bridgestones did.

·
Registered
370 Posts
how do you like them

Hi Pauljo
I've been following your thread about tires and your comment about the "softer"ride got my attention. As you know, my scrawny rear only weighs in at about 135 lbs and so the 650 suspension is pretty hard for me. I recently noticed the ride was better, so I checked my tire pressure and found out the front tire had on 20#. Oh well, so much for it getting more comfortable. I gather you are sold on the Pirellis'?
I don't need em yet, but may change earlier just for the ride.
jac

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I noticed an improvement on the ride also using Pirelli on the rear. If the the change is the same on the front as it was on the rear, it should be quite a bit better. Maybe it has a softer side-wall. For whatever reason, the ride is way better.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Jac,

The ride was improved when I put on the Pirelli rear, and way improved when I added the Pirelli front. I think you'd like them. They cost way less, ride way better, wear better, and handle just as well.

Just make sure that you get the radials. They have both a bias ply and a radial in the GTS23/GTS24 series - the radial has a "-05" after the model number in the catalogs (as in GTS24-05).

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
the radial has a "-05" after the model number in the catalogs (as in GTS24-05).
Paul,

Pirelli USA claimed part of the prior tire shortage was due to a part number change. I wonder if this has any effect on the -05 suffix?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
pauljo said:
the radial has a "-05" after the model number in the catalogs (as in GTS24-05).
Paul,

Pirelli USA claimed part of the prior tire shortage was due to a part number change. I wonder if this has any effect on the -05 suffix?
Bill,

I really don't know for sure. It could have also been a component part number from one of Pirelli's suppliers too.

The spare rear tire that I finally received after the shortage is still a GTS24. Arizona Motorsports still lists the GTS23 / GTS24 in both bias ply and radial. So all indications are that the numbers did not change, and that both bias ply and radial models fall into that series.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Tires

pauljo said:
Jac,

The ride was improved when I put on the Pirelli rear, and way improved when I added the Pirelli front. I think you'd like them. They cost way less, ride way better, wear better, and handle just as well.

Just make sure that you get the radials. They have both a bias ply and a radial in the GTS23/GTS24 series - the radial has a "-05" after the model number in the catalogs (as in GTS24-05).
Thanks Pauljo, now...... if I can just remember where I file this valuable info away. Being Anal - Rentitive is a double edge sword. ... Ya' keep everything, then spend 3/4 for you life trying to remember where you put it.....
How long are these threads saved? <G>
Jac

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Tires

jacvinson said:
How long are these threads saved?
Right now, they are not deleted. If Greengoose ever has a need to change that I'm sure he'd give us ample warning.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm going through six pages of "since your last visit" and Air shocks took my eye.I've drilled and tapped the fork caps and installed a bit of plumbing and a gauge (I've posted some pics) and am presently going crazy trying to work out if I need more air or less. I'm only using between zero and 14 PSI. The SMOOTHEST ride is obtained by using NEGATIVE pressure (take scoot off the centrestand and RELEASE the air trapped in the shocks, great for smooth roads but tends to bottom out sooner.
I've seen an advertisement for air valves that can be fitted to front forks of Motocross bikes (chook chasers) wich allow the rider to release built up air and restore compliance for racing over very rough terrain.
So ?
Air shocks ?
The jury is still out !
Bazza
PS I run 5 weight oil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts