Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of days, I've been hearing a harsh sound coming out of the front-end of the bike. It's a metal-to-metal sound that's pretty disturbing.

It happens whenever I am pulling-out after having been parked and it seems to disappear once I have gotten going.

At first, I thought I had caught a rock inside the front fender but when I heard the sound again, I thought that something is wrong. I pulled over and checked the condition of the tire, which may have caught a nail and was dragging inside the fender, but the tire seems to look fine all over.

I heard the sounds again after having pulled out of parking, and particularly going over a speed bump in my neighborhood.

It sounds like the caliper hitting the rotor -- something like that metal-to-metal sound, pretty creepy. I checked the calipers to see if any bolts may have come loose, but they all appear to be tight. The fender appears to be mounted tight as well.

What could it be? :scratch:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
There have been several other reports in regards to front wheel bearing failure. I'm betting that you're are having the same problems.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad bearings makes sense pauljo. I can't seem to figure out where else the noise would be coming from. I didn't know others were reporting bad front bearings too- thanks for the heads up allwalk!

It's time to take it to the shop -- those guys at the dealership will probably keep my baby for a month :angry4:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Front end noise

See if the front wheel moves sideways when on centre stand. If there is any movement its wheel bearings. Ours made a similar noise and wheel bearings had collapsed. 6203 bearings from bearing supply will fix it. How many miles on the scoot? Ours had 23600 km. Geoff (Tasmania)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tip to check the bearings:
Put the bike on the center stand, have someone sit or push down ( hard ) on the back of the bike to lift the front wheel, then try to rotate the wheel, it should do it very smooth, if you feel it's not rotating smoothly, and feels bumpy during the rotation, very probably it's the bearings. Don't forget to check that brake pads are not all worn out ( you should see small grooves in the brake pad).

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THanks for the tips Schlepp and zook650. I will definitely do those tonight. The bike only has 1100mi (1700km).

·
Registered
152 Posts
--- english :( -----
Hi
I have same noise in the front fork since more 5 months. In random way, especially on the small asperities of the road at low speed. The mechanic, after having carried out a test, consider this noise as normal! However I am convinced that's either problems :
in the bearings (parts 3, 10 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/x9-500/microfiches/steering_stem.htm) of steering column,
- or parts 10,14,15 or 16 of this page (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/x9-500/microfiches/front_fork_damper.htm ) are out of use.

I will wait until the noise is more important to make test by him (mechanic).
To try to remove other possibilities, I made change the boot (5 and 7, http://perso.wanadoo.fr/x9-500/microfiches/front_caliper.htm) and the bearings of wheels (n°3 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/x9-500/microfiches/front_wheel.htm ) ... no positive result.

I wait few weeks and back (return?) to workshop.
Pirmil

---- french :wink: -------
J'ai le même bruit dans la fourche avant depuis plus 5 mois. De manière aléatoire, surtout sur les petites aspérités du macadam à basse vitesse.
Le mécanicien, après avoir fait un essai, n'a pas considéré ce bruit comme anormal ! Pourtant je suis certain qu'il s'agit, soit d'un problème dans les roulements (pièces 3, 10 ...microfiches/steering_stem.htm) de de colonne de direction, soit qu'une des pièces 10,14,15 ou 16 de cette page (...microfiches/front_fork_damper.htm) est hors de usage.
Je vais attendre que le bruit soit plus important pour faire essayer par lui.

Pour essayer de supprimer autres possibilités, j'ai fait changer les boot (5 et 7 , ...microfiches/front_caliper.htm ) et les roulements de roues... Cela a rien amélioré.
j'attends quelques semaines et retourne au garage.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok -- I think I have figured out the problem.

Thanks to those who have given tips.

The sound is not coming from the front but the middle of bike. I happened to notice when I was parked in front of a store's large mirrored window that my center stand is dragging! It's does not snap back to the upper positioned like it's supposed to.

I haven't fixed it yet. The spring appears to be working fine. It just looks like it needs a little lubing - hopefully that's all it is.

[/b]

·
Registered
308 Posts
migz123 said:
Ok -- I think I have figured out the problem.

Thanks to those who have given tips.

The sound is not coming from the front but the middle of bike. I happened to notice when I was parked in front of a store's large mirrored window that my center stand is dragging! It's does not snap back to the upper positioned like it's supposed to.

I haven't fixed it yet. The spring appears to be working fine. It just looks like it needs a little lubing - hopefully that's all it is.

[/b]
Check for a missing center stand mount bolt...I found one missing, and a few other riders have also.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Before I start out for a ride I always lean over and give the stand a tug just ot insure it is fully retracted. Surprising how many times I get it to move. Been times where It moved an inch or more up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the missing bolt thing on mine as well - I noticed that when I took the bike off the center stand it would wobble off to one side - discovered missing bolt - dealer stucka new one in and awayI went. I need to lube the stand as well 'cause it sticks a bit.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
allwalk said:
Before I start out for a ride I always lean over and give the stand a tug just ot insure it is fully retracted. Surprising how many times I get it to move. Been times where It moved an inch or more up.
Mine started sticking a bit too. I squirted some WD-40 on the pivots about a week ago and it hasn't done that since. I should probably put some 3-in-1 oil on it now. WD-40 is a good cleaner to get the gunk out of it, but it isn't really a lubricant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts