Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Manual for my 2014 Burgman 400, the left brake is for the rear and the right brake is for the front.

According to many youtube videos, the left brake is for front and rear and the right brake is for the front.

Which is it?

John

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well you could put it on the main stand and find out for yourself. ;-)

But assuming this is a genuine question. Right lever is front. Left could be rear only or linked rear and front ,depending on model and country.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On 2006 and earlier 400s, the left lever contolled both front and rear brakes. On 2007 and newer, the left contols the rear and the right controls the front.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
On 2006 and earlier 400s, the left lever contolled both front and rear brakes. On 2007 and newer, the left contols the rear and the right controls the front.
Yup. On the pre-'07 bikes the left lever applies about 25% of total braking to the front and 75% to the rear--some don't like it, I have never noticed any significant difference between it and any other bike I've owned. It does ensure that some front braking is always applied, which one should have been taught/have learned before they began any serious riding...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Please reference these youtube videos that list the left front/right rear. They would be WRONG! That is unless of coarse they are for bicycles in which case they would be correct - bicycle and scooter brakes are backwards from each other. All motorcycles regardless of make have the front brake as the right grip. Most traditional motorcycles have the rear brake on the right foot{or left foot if it is an old Brit bike}. Automatic scooters move the rear brake to the left lever, where the clutch is on a manual motorcycle.

As to the 2006 and earlier 400 - The left lever is dual but only until you apply enough pull on it, so it isn't "ALWAYS". If you are light on it only the rear is engaged. I tested this out and it is true. Very handy for maneuvering around parking lots at 10-20mph. BTW the front caliper is actually two calipers in one, with two separate sets of pads. One set is controlled by the right lever and the other by the left if you apply enough pressure.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
There are several videos that say the left is both. This one I bookmarked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhzuR-nLA0g

As soon as the snow goes away, I will pull the bike out of the garage and test it myself.

John
That review is a 2003-2006 and it does have combined brakes on the left lever{as already discussed}. Several models of bikes have this feature but Suzuki dropped it in 2007 from all I can find.

I misread your original post, I thought you were saying some videos suggested the brakes were reversed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I notice Dr John you say your bike is a 2014 model so that should be front brakes by right hand lever only.

If by some quirk it has dual braking on left hand lever, you will have two hydraulic pipes feeding each of the front callipers because as speedandstyle mentioned, the callipers are two in one and will require two separate hydraulic feeds.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I believe that his 2014-400 has dual front discs.
I had a dealer explain to me, that the right brake lever
operates one of the front disc brakes, & that the left
brake lever operates the rear brake, & the other front
disc brake. The use of both brakes at the same time
is recommended for maximum stopping power.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds very plausible Duster and thanks for that, its a far cheaper way of linking the brakes because it cuts out double feed hydraulic pipes to each caliper etc. :) Again the linking can be easily tested by operating left lever and pulling front wheel around by hand while the bike is on the main stand. Just tested my L2 model and it confirms what the bikes handbook says for my bike: left lever = rear only and right = both front disks. Perhaps Dr Johns handbook confirms his braking layout ?

Thinking about it, it perhaps should mention the brake configuration for safety ?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
All mc I have had, use the rt. for the front. With clutch at left hand.

Which is backward from my mountain bike. Perhaps I will switch it to conform to Burgie :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you look at the parts diagrams the left and right brake levers lines go into a box and then both front and rear lines run from it. The box is listed by Suzuki as "UNIT ASSY, HYDRAULIC ABS". So it controls the ABS but it could allow the front caliper to be linked to the rear. Suzuki does not say that it is linked. Also every review of the 2007{first year of current design} says that the linked brakes were deleted. So I would say the front isn't linked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts