Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Burgman 650 over the weekend and just hit the 100 mile mark yesterday, Wednesday.

My previous riding experience: 2 years owner of '00 Suzuki GSXR 600.
I'm 35 married and 3 kids, living in California.

I am perhaps the first person on the planet to go from a fully decked-out race bike to a Scooter :D

Ok, with that out of the way:

After living out a childhood fantasy of owning my own sportbike for a couple of years and enjoying every single mile on my dream bike, I felt that it was time to move on to a more practical bike that I would be more 'user friendly' towards my well-settled lifestyle as a family man. The GSXR was simply a joy to own, as I had always dreamt about what it would be like to have one of those really cool-looking, extremely fast, pure race-breed bikes. The accelerating and leaning capabilities of that bike does a good number on your stress level, Plus it looks cool as ****. :D

I have since realized that although the Gixxer has very high "fun" factor, it was not practical as most of you already know. While it was nice to relieve stress on the weekends, it would actually ADD stress on the weekdays! That's because the bike seems to beg you to pull that throttle way deep all the time! It feels good but you quickly realize that public roads with traffic is NOT a place for that! For the commutes to work, it was just wrong. I had to keep a backpack, the suspension is stiff as hell, it has no storage for my "stuff" and I always had to carry around my helmet, the jacket etc when off the bike. So that would be the basis of my decision to look into other options.

Now I wanted a new bike that was more practical, and also a bit less aggressive. There were many other options, and the one that I had my eye on the most was the Honda VFR Interceptor. It gave the best of both worlds.

Then I go back to the Suzuki dealership where I had bought my gixxer two years ago (has it been that long?). The popular bikes where all out front by the entrance: The GSXR 1000, the Hayabusa, the SV650 and 1K, and all the other gixxers. Over in the 'back' were a bunch of scooters I was not interested in -- why would I want that? None of the other bikes appealed to me, as buying the Hayabusa or even the SV 1000 would really not satisfy what I wanted.

I walked over to the back to what looked like a cruiser/ small GoldWing type of bike. I walk around it and notice it's a big scooter with the floor boards and everything. I noticed the glove compartments and thought ****, I wish my gixxer had that...

The salesman who was a friend of mine walked over and said - that thing is cool as ****. I thought "huh?" He took the keys, lifted the seat and exposed the trunk space. I thought "whoa!" - and then imagined that I could toss my helmet, jacket and gloves in there and not have to carry it around anymore. My bag for work would be in there instead of having to lug it on my bike when riding .... hmmm... he turned the engine on, which exposed a whole set of digital guages, which I thought was cool. "... what size engine is it?"

"It's a 650 and its speed will surprise you ... it ain't no 'Scooter' ..."

"Let me test ride it..."

In 5 minutes I was out on the freeway cruising at about 60-65 mph. I found that it was stable, and the power was great. We need this here in California. I rolled on the throttle, blinked, and I was at 100mph with more to give ... whoa! Due to the wind factor, I would know immediately if I was in the gixxer when I hit that speed. On the Burgman, I didn't notice and I liked the idea that I wasn't battling with the wind and it was VERY stable at that speed.

I got back to the dealership, extremely impressed with what I had experienced. I did a lot of research over the next 24 hours on the net about it. My decision was made.

I checked with the Commander-in-Cheif (a.k.a. wife) and got surprisngly, I got an easy 'go ahead' - so long as I sold the Gixxer.

I took the Silver one home over the weekend. Now I have just surpassed the 100mi mark, and I am generally very happy with the new bike, and would recommend it to anyone looking for an all-around street bike. I intend to write another post about my first 100mi impression in more detail.

I always think to myself what my friends would think and dorky I would look on that bike in comparison to my previous bike. I thought to myself that it's how you FEEL on it thats important, how practical it is to me given my lifestyle, and how much USE and JOY it will give to me, and not how it LOOKS to others. Besides, the styling of the Burgman isn't too bad, as I have had a couple of people think that it was an expensive BMW heheh. not bad.

If I had a choice, I would keep BOTH my bikes, but the Commander in Cheif says "No way..."

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Great Story Migz!
You and I must be long lost brothers, as our stories are so similar. THe only difference is I'm 5 yrs your senior and I went from an RZ350 to the Burgman. I don't miss that backpack 1 bit :lol: I also had some cage stop beside me at a light and commented that they thought it was a BMW. My RZ350 is currently up for sale. THe Burgman is just so much fun to ride that I really don't miss the RZ. Looking forward to your updated feelings on your new ride.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Try going from Honda Hornet CB900 to 650 Burgman, as I did ...

It would wheel stand by rolling on the throttle ... & ton up in 3rd gear with 3 more to go ... :lol:

Rgds Greg ...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jas340 said:
Great post. Do you miss the power of the 600?? How does the lean factor in turns compare to the 600?
I don't miss the power of the GSXR at all, as the Burgman gives me enough for street use. Like most everyone else, I wouldn't mind more power though!

About the lean factor, it's really hard to compare the GSXR to the Burgman as they are entirely different beasts in nearly everything, except the fact that they have two wheels.

On the GSXR you can drag your knee at 80mph while having a cup of coffee :D I find that Burgman actually handles well for a bike its size and weight. It will lean a lot further than most people would be comfortable with. I did have to set the rear suspension to its maximum setting (#5) to be more comfortable with its handling, as it felt like a couch on any lower setting (I weigh 220lb ). That made a big difference in how it feels on the curvy roads.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ur not alone in the world ive had sport bikes for the last 4 years, 94 fzr600,2000 R6, and even the 2003 R6. i had the 2003 R6 for about 3 months until in june i said to myself that i want to go on long rides. but i hated the fact that my back would hurt and my hands would go numb after riding for 30 minutes. my only hang up is i dont like how cruisers look...too 1950 ish i like sporty looks and high tech, i could never see myself on a v twin bike burning my legs on the exaust with a headlight that was made for the ford model T. :D although i was nervous to buy a "scooter" taking the chance of the pointing fingers and laughing crowds i liked the burgman because it has enough power to do what i want and i can go far without being cramped up. and surprisingly i havent had any laughing pointing fingers. 4 moths later i have almost 4000 miles on the burgman. although im thinking of ordering a skywave decal from japan....just sounds more cool than burgman :lol:

·
Registered
793 Posts
He said "whow"....And I said "Whoooaa"..

migz123, lemme get this straight,

You're riding the same demo AN650 you took off the showroom floor with 00000.0 miles on it with new tires so you could set 3 digits into the speedo on I-5 just to scream down the diamond lane and find out how quite it was to be seating rings and getting gawkers pulling up along side with googoo stares while the floorboards don't have brake pedals... Right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
sportbikes

i traded a zrx1200r & an sv 650 to get my an650. i have alittle extra clearance on my centerstand now. this thing will go waaaay over before anything touches. i loved the z-rex, but now my knees don't hurt & i am way more comfy. plus burgman owners is the coolest dudes & dudettes on the planet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: He said "whow"....And I said "Whoooaa&amp

ajwood said:
migz123, lemme get this straight,

You're riding the same demo AN650 you took off the showroom floor with 00000.0 miles on it with new tires so you could set 3 digits into the speedo on I-5 just to scream down the diamond lane and find out how quite it was to be seating rings and getting gawkers pulling up along side with googoo stares while the floorboards don't have brake pedals... Right?
Whatever you say Einstein! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts